Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2020/2021 Fall/Winter Mountain thread

Met1985

Just now, MotoWeatherman said:

Woody Gap.  Brass town will close the entrance road which means hike to the top of thats what your after.  Woody typically does well in these situations.  Or hwy 136 near Big Canoe.  Also goes over 3k up

I’ve had lots of luck at Woody Gap.  Seems to be perfect for that sweet spot of ease of access and elevation.  Plus they treat the roads.  Thank you for the tip about the access road to brasstown getting shut down. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LithiaWx said:

I’ve had lots of luck at Woody Gap.  Seems to be perfect for that sweet spot of ease of access and elevation.  Plus they treat the roads.  Thank you for the tip about the access road to brasstown getting shut down. 

HRRR says flip to snow there near 5p today. 

• Like 2

Good luck to y'all mountain folks. Think y'all may be in for a surprise. Looking at the models- the trajectory of the storm is a weird path to take. 

But its almost like there is a comma head setting up right over the mountain chain as the ULL gets going. 

Most definitely will see a E to W upslope till the trough axis turns to a NWF.

Merry Christmas.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LithiaWx said:

i agree.  Woody Gap is always money for me.  i may wind up there myself this evening or tomorrow am, per my daughter. But i hate to go anywhere when there might be flakes at my own house.  will be a lot less, but there's nothing like flakes imby.

• Like 1

i agree.  Woody Gap is always money for me.  i may wind up there myself this evening or tomorrow am, per my daughter. But i hate to go anywhere when there might be flakes at my own house.  will be a lot less, but there's nothing like flakes imby.

I always went up to the gap on Blood Mountain (neels?) when I lived in Dahlonega. Longer drive but I found more snow over there more often than not for some reason.
  • Like 1

Gotta love seeing this!

Mesoscale Discussion 1875 NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK 0128 PM CST Thu Dec 24 2020

Areas affected...southern and central Appalachians Concerning...Heavy snow

Valid 241928Z - 250000Z SUMMARY...Heavy snow is forecast to develop behind a cold front this evening. Low visibility and rapid accumulation from snow rates of 1 to 2 inches per hour will be likely. DISCUSSION...Afternoon water vapor imagery showed a deep upper low and expansive area of cyclonic flow across much of the eastern US. At the surface, 19z analysis showed a cold front progressing eastward across the southern Appalachian highlands. Along the front a developing wave cyclone was observed across northeastern Georgia and southeastern Tennessee. Increasing lift from an embedded shortwave trough within the larger upper low should help intensify the developing surface cyclone as it rapidly moves north along the front into the central Appalachians this afternoon. With increasing pressure falls expected to develop along the frontal zone, enhanced cold advection in the low levels should rapidly cool the atmospheric column to support snow development by late this afternoon. Lingering instability from steep mid-level lapse rates, strong lift along the front, and enhanced convergence from windward side upslope flow should support moderate to heavy banded precipitation to the immediate west of the cold front. Snow rates of one to two inches per hour will be possible (especially along the crest of the Appalachians) through this evening.

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md1875.html24172fad88f5629d06acf65479f3c954.jpg&key=2f1b585c5d901a19db92196359ba00da8a77700e914b9dee8d5b91911147b222

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Y’all reel this one in, hate I’ll miss the possibility of heavy stuff falling overnight but maybe I’ll see some flurries in Hickory and come home tomorrow to 3-4” on the ground with some still falling.  Clouds were looking snowy on top of Lynn Lowry when we left a little while ago.

• Like 4