• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2020/2021 Fall/Winter Mountain thread

Met1985

I'm living this one out in Dahlonega GA at the southern end of the Apps.  Enjoy it NC people. Couldn't convince the whole family to do Christmas up there. 
I'll be heading down your way Christmas Day but I'll be down in Wilkesboro tomorrow night. Hopefully we can get into some on the trip down.
  • Like 1

Got the hose bibs insulated for this stout cold shot and am looking forward to seeing some snow on the ground when I get back from Hickory Friday evening.  Hopefully see some flakes flying and sticking here by the time we head down off the mountain tomorrow afternoon and can bring some down to the foothills with us even if it’s just flurries. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

One thing about this changeover if the cold air rushes in is that most will go from heavy rain to heavy snow in a matter of moments. Some could possibly see a thunderstorm then the temps just free fall...

That’s what I’m thinking as well.  This front is going to be like something they see out in Denver.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

The wind is already roaring on the ridgetops tonight. Sounds like a jet engine.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Loaded presents in the car earlier and it was even starting to work that roar down to my elevation with some very strong gusts.

Looks like we may score enough down here in the French Broad Valley to get my first white Christmas ever:snowing:.  I was visiting relatives in Raleigh during the 2010 storm which was a Boxing Day storm for Raleigh although did see some flakes well after dark on Christmas.  The wife and I will be hanging out by the wood stove and hopefully seeing at least some flurries after sunrise on Christmas day.

Merry Christmas everyone!!

now time to go check on the NAM :)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

Snow chase #2 for this season is here!!  I’m debating targeting Brasstown Bald at 4700’ or Woody Gap at 3200’.   My initial thoughts are the 1500’ won’t make a big difference and to stick with familiar chase territory at Woody Gap.  

Woody Gap.  Brass town will close the entrance road which means hike to the top it thats what your after.  Woody typically does well in these situations.  Or hwy 136 near Big Canoe.  Also goes over 3k up

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

Snow chase #2 for this season is here!!  I’m debating targeting Brasstown Bald at 4700’ or Woody Gap at 3200’.   My initial thoughts are the 1500’ won’t make a big difference and to stick with familiar chase territory at Woody Gap.  

I’d want as much elevation as I could get, especially if chasing.  

• Like 2