• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2020/2021 Fall/Winter Mountain thread

Met1985

Thanks, glad to be back. I’ve been keeping up with things lurking around not logged in since I couldn’t remember my login info and it wasn’t saved like I was saying the other day.  Life has been crazy this year, which I think everyone has felt at some point or another and uttered those words lol.  

• Like 2

The Skyway total is amazing.

I can literally throw a stone at the Mtn Research Station from our property. We ended up with just under an inch here in Waynesville. 

Below is the NWS post storm analysis map. Not too shabby. 

Link to the arcgis dashboard storm total map that's interactive: https://noaa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/4fe985838e464fb9bb980799443e01b6

Lastly: If you don't follow Evan Fisher check him out. He has been killing it lately these past few years with event videos and now is evolving into maps.

Ground blizzard conditions up on Roan Mountain: 

394957240_12.1.20SnowTotals_SNOWCASTMapverification.thumb.png.062ee5587e9dc21775423b5a659a12c7.png

• Like 2

Sunday night through Tuesday is starting to grab my attention. Possible some overrunning precipitation. Lots going on at the 500mb level so I think we have a long way to go before we know how this one will unfold. Models are showing a deep Gulf Low shooting up and interacting with a ULL. Euro has what is very close to a snow sounding Monday evening. Column is also very saturated. All models show the ULL and the GL, it’s just a matter of how close they get to each other, and if the ULL can capture the GL.
88bf5e30ed6ab6f942fbcf682943974f.jpg

• Like 10

QQ. all i want to see snow this weekend was thinking about staying at Banner Elk this Sunday to Monday should i change the location ? Is 3700 feet high enough will i need to look at Beech Mountain or move the date to Monday to Tuesday  sorry to ask just wondering thanks everyone !

Sunday night through Tuesday is starting to grab my attention. Possible some overrunning precipitation. Lots going on at the 500mb level so I think we have a long way to go before we know how this one will unfold. Models are showing a deep Gulf Low shooting up and interacting with a ULL. Euro has what is very close to a snow sounding Monday evening. Column is also very saturated. All models show the ULL and the GL, it’s just a matter of how close they get to each other, and if the ULL can capture the GL.
88bf5e30ed6ab6f942fbcf682943974f.jpg&key=826566520934445bb53f2aad4f9f7a44ef9f03e84962ea49f2c2068cc6c7f60a

12z gfs with a very similar look. I'll take this look at day 4/5 every time for a gulf system.
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Hvward said:

Yep 12z Euro with a similar look to the 0z. Many times I’ve seen these overrunning signatures that show up like this turning into a decent thump where some see 3”+ along the Escarpment.

Hey, somebody has to throw those of us between 1-2k ft a bone every now and then. Fingers crossed!

• Like 2

Also made it up to Mitchell yesterday. Only had about 4-6" on the ground (park ranger said they measured 3.8" but seemed like more than that to me) but there were a lot of knee deep drifts. Got into a couple sections up to my thighs between Mitchell and Craig on the Black Mountain Crest Trail. Pretty nice weather day honestly, made it up to 21 for a high but super breezy. I had been wondering why their Davis station was only reporting a light breeze and turns out it was frozen solid and couldn't turn freely. dd02b82b935e302c3d43ac93788c144a.jpg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Tyler Penland said:

Also made it up to Mitchell yesterday. Only had about 4-6" on the ground (park ranger said they measured 3.8" but seemed like more than that to me) but there were a lot of knee deep drifts. Got into a couple sections up to my thighs between Mitchell and Craig on the Black Mountain Crest Trail. Pretty nice weather day honestly, made it up to 21 for a high but super breezy. I had been wondering why their Davis station was only reporting a light breeze and turns out it was frozen solid and couldn't turn freely. dd02b82b935e302c3d43ac93788c144a.jpg

Yeah I don't think the mountain does that great in upslope snows. 

• Like 1

Yeah I don't think the mountain does that great in upslope snows. 

I'm typically directly upstream from Mitchell in these events (~315-320°) and I think Big Bald (5516') has a lot to do with it. The 3000' asl valley between me and Mitchell might cause a little downsloping which doesn't help either.  

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1