• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2020/2021 Fall/Winter Mountain thread

Met1985

I wouldn't say rock solid just yet. This cutoff is big and can go one way or the other. It is nice we will have a cold source but as you see we have had a lot of jumps here and there in modeling just as the euro has done.  Ill be paying close attention to all the models but especially the GFS. One big issue I could see is that cutoff getting stuck west of us... Still its nice to track something.  

11 minutes ago, Maggie Ace said:

28 this morning at the house with heavy frost to the ground. I see the mention of wintry weather Sunday night, but it's still uncertain at this range for anything other than speculation. Models are suggesting we get cold early next week. That cold core upper low track is critical to what next week brings. Meanwhile we continue to see those very colorful digital snowfall totals. Not sure I'm ready to dig out of 2 feet of snow!

Yeah a beautiful cold morning here with a low of 20.

12 minutes ago, Maggie Ace said:

28 this morning at the house with heavy frost to the ground. I see the mention of wintry weather Sunday night, but it's still uncertain at this range for anything other than speculation. Models are suggesting we get cold early next week. That cold core upper low track is critical to what next week brings. Meanwhile we continue to see those very colorful digital snowfall totals. Not sure I'm ready to dig out of 2 feet of snow!

Yeah the 6z gfs hammers our area especially the southern facing mountains.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah the 6z gfs hammers our area especially the southern facing mountains.  

And in all honesty, it’s close to hammering the entire normal climo favored region. Just need that storm to tick a hair closer to the coast. Cold air seems like it’ll be around, as will a storm (somewhere). Can’t ask for much else! Especially after last winter :guitar:

13 minutes ago, BooneWX said:

And in all honesty, it’s close to hammering the entire normal climo favored region. Just need that storm to tick a hair closer to the coast. Cold air seems like it’ll be around, as will a storm (somewhere). Can’t ask for much else! Especially after last winter :guitar:

Lol thats always the case it seems like. Cold air will be around and we just need the moisture or vice versa.

Well big changes on the 12z GFS. There is no second storm cutoff. What happens is the primary trough cuts off and this turns into a pretty significant upslope event. The cutoff storm never materializes this run.

Yeah very close with that first storm. Phases just a little too late. Main takeaway is that the timeframe from Dec 1-8th looks conducive for some form of a winter storm.
  • Like 2

Just now, Hvward said:

Yeah very close with that first storm. Phases just a little too late. Main takeaway is that the timeframe from Dec 1-8th looks conducive for some form of a winter storm.

Yeah and at least we have something to track early on. Subtle changes in blocking can make all the difference with these things as you know.

• Like 1

Been MIA because I forgot my login info.  Y’all book it on a storm next week, I leave on the 30th and won’t get home from working in Louisiana until late the 7th.  Was mid-20’s when I left the house at 5 this morning, right around 30 over in Mt Sterling when I got off the interstate. Probably ended up high 20’s over where I’m hunting, frosty morning that felt good.  No deer were harmed though I did have one give me the slip,

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WxKnurd said:

Been MIA because I forgot my login info.  Y’all book it on a storm next week, I leave on the 30th and won’t get home from working in Louisiana until late the 7th.  Was mid-20’s when I left the house at 5 this morning, right around 30 over in Mt Sterling when I got off the interstate. Probably ended up high 20’s over where I’m hunting, frosty morning that felt good.  No deer were harmed though I did have one give me the slip,

I was wondering were you went.  I knew you posted regularly.  Glad you got logged back in.

30 minutes ago, WxKnurd said:

Winter storm tracking brings everyone back like a good ol' fashioned homecoming. :D

• Like 4

The GSP AFD is a really good read this morning!

878 FXUS62 KGSP 251143 AFDGSP Area Forecast Discussion National Weather Service Greenville-Spartanburg SC 643 AM EST Wed Nov 25 2020

&& .

LONG TERM /SATURDAY THROUGH TUESDAY/... As of 330 AM Wednesday: Much colder air wrapping in behind the low pressure may lead to falling snow levels Monday into Monday evening with snow along the peaks possibly dropping into the mountain valleys during the evening. A rapid occlusion of the surface low is fairly likely later Monday into Tuesday near the Lower Great Lakes or middle Appalachians, would significantly slow if not full on stop the progression of the newly vertically stacked low. The location of the low could place us under a prolonged period of northwest flow with lingering low level moisture, steep lapse rates thanks to the cold air mass loft and rounds of enhanced lift rotating overhead perhaps supporting an additional 12-24 window with periods of northwest snowfall across the high terrain especially near the TN border (taking us into Tuesday). At least light snowfall accumulations are in play near the TN border. We may be in store for the coldest air of the season by Tuesday with highs only in the 30s to near 40 mountains to 40s east of the mountains which will only feel cold with breezy northwest winds across the region.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Love the look for next week. Assuming the foothills can’t squeeze in some climatological luck, I may have to make the short trip up the mountain to get my snow fix. 

Not gonna lie. I'm way more excited about this than I should be at this point. I remember the storm that seemed like a guaranteed 8-10" last December that I got 2" from.  

But I'm in the NWF belt above 4000'. I may get burned, but I can't help but be stoked.

16 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

Not gonna lie. I'm way more excited about this than I should be at this point. I remember the storm that seemed like a guaranteed 8-10" last December that I got 2" from.  

But I'm in the NWF belt above 4000'. I may get burned, but I can't help but be stoked.

Ironically I think this may shape up to be a primary upslope event depending on were the low cuts off.

• Like 2