• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2020/2021 Fall/Winter Mountain thread

Met1985

Grandfather had some patches of color above the parkway and roan mountain had the lower end of moderate color higher up. Definitely still has a ways to go to get real picture worthy. I will be making a few more trips as I can 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, weatherlover said:

Was thinking of riding up to cataloochee (however you spell it) Sunday to see the Elk...have any of you Mtn folks been near that area in the last few days?   Was wondering how the leaves were in that area...  Thanks for any input!

I was up there Sunday. Color is starting to pop through. Not sure how the weather is going to be there this weekend however. Keep an eye out!

Super breezy here today.
I'm a little surprised how slow the color change has been IMBY this year. Still 80-85% green despite several frosts. Even Grandfather is creeping along slower than I had expected. Originally thought it might peak this weekend (highest slopes will) but looks like next week sometime along the Parkway. Good news for any damage that could be done by Delta, though.

Hopefully taking a day trip up to West Virginia this Friday. Never been up there during the fall.

This is a little lower elevation than Banner Elk or Wolf Laurel but Maples are turning like crazy here, very vibrant. Oaks and Poplars beginning the transition. Can definitely see the oranges, yellows and browns beginning to pop through the sea of green. Plenty of leaves in the road too. This was earlier coming down the mountain in Transylvania County.

mountian.png

• Like 2

I returned to my favorite spot near Grandfather Mountain yesterday and very vibrant colors are starting to appear in places just above the parkway. It is amazing how variable it is over short distances, but it is coming along very nicely. I took some drone shots which are coming soon and video this time which I am uploading now (without any color enhancement). I think peak will occur within a week around Linn Cove. The Banner Elk area was starting to turn nicely as well.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, eyewall said:

I am busy today with Delta so I will post some stills first. Again these were taken on October 7th, 2020 near Grandfather Mountain (note: I am not sure why this site dulls the color in my images):

fall1-web.jpg

fall2-web.jpg

fall3-web.jpg

fall4-web.jpg

fall5-web.jpg

fall6-web.jpg

Nice shots man!  Think I'm heading up there tomorrow.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

Nice shots man!  Think I'm heading up there tomorrow.

Thank you and yeah it is really popping there in spots. It is amazing how much it varies in short distances. Here are the flickr versions (If you click them they will appear as they should)
50437909098_6c83799cd3_b.jpg

50438605151_bc28171713_b.jpg

50438789187_573e0eef1e_b.jpg

50437901068_bc5c9e0bfb_b.jpg

50437905508_89a28dfca7_b.jpg

50437895233_0afbe272f0_b.jpg

• Like 2