• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2020/2021 Fall/Winter Mountain thread

Met1985

How is the foliage looking in the mountains? Any sign it is going early this year?
Just took this for you at 3200' on the border. It's definitely happening already and up above 4000' the yellows and reds are starting to pop a little more. The Canadian airmass later this week should kick it into high gear. dff00af93d3cea92df8f6a550a5bf42d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yep this year is going to be early especially from the past recent years. Some have already seen some patchy frost and this weekend will accelerate the foliage change with it being downright cold. Temps keep creeping down this weekend and I suspect some frost advisories will be hoisted up and maybe some freeze watches also 

49 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yep this year is going to be early especially from the past recent years. Some have already seen some patchy frost and this weekend will accelerate the foliage change with it being downright cold. Temps keep creeping down this weekend and I suspect some frost advisories will be hoisted up and maybe some freeze watches also 

Yeah the last two years were pretty bad so hopefully this is a good one.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sw NC weather said:

Big reversal in temps today. At midnight we were 64 and it’s fell to 55 now. With a constant steady rain.

Yes it is.  It was almost 60° up here at midnight and now we're down to 46° in the rain.  Good day to have the fireplace going. 

• Like 4

Thank you. I am trying to determine if it is worth stopping by the Grandfather Mountain area this weekend.
Yeah. Still quite a bit of green but almost everything has that yellow tint to it today. I was up on the Parkway the other day and the Stack Rock to Viaduct area was coming along nice. Boone Fork area usually changes fairly early too.
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Buckethead said:

We're getting there above 4000'. Just took this. 7b9a00c4350351b4ce068f1898488ced.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

It doesn't have to be peak to be beautiful as this pic shows. Sometimes I like the patchwork even better depending on the scene. Either way I am sure I will be making a second trip after tomorrow as well.

• Thanks 1

Avery-Yancey-Mitchell-
Including the cities of Ingalls, Banner Elk, Newland, Swiss,
Burnsville, Celo, Micaville, Ramseytown, Busick, Spruce Pine,
and Poplar
245 PM EDT Fri Oct 2 2020

...FROST ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 9 AM EDT SATURDAY...

* WHAT...Temperatures as low as 34 will result in frost
  formation.

* WHERE...Avery, Yancey and Mitchell Counties.

* WHEN...From 3 AM to 9 AM EDT Saturday.