• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2020/2021 Fall/Winter Mountain thread

Met1985

Not weather related but a topic for the mountain peeps.

We have a bear that’s been showing up at our house outside Boone. We’ve been there 10 years and have never seen a bear until this July 4th and 6th. This morning a bear showed up and entered an unlocked car and helped itself to the person’s lunch.

We never leave food or trash outside nor do we have bird feeders. 
I don’t mind the bear being in the area but I’m not thrilled that it might associate our house with food now. 

Any thoughts on how to coexist? I’m afraid to send the dog out unless someone goes out with the dog. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, landof2rivers said:

We have a bear that’s been showing up at our house outside Boone. We’ve been there 10 years and have never seen a bear until this July 4th and 6th. This morning a bear showed up and entered an unlocked car and helped itself to the person’s lunch.

I don’t mind the bear being in the area but I’m not thrilled that it might associate our house with food now. 

Any thoughts on how to coexist? I’m afraid to send the dog out unless someone goes out with the dog. 

Get some firecrackers. If you see the bear fire some in it's general direction and absolutely keep no food where it can get it. Hopefully the firecrackers will scare it away and it will not come back.

1 hour ago, landof2rivers said:

The only way to coexist is to accept what bears do. They don't have the ability to reason, they don't know that your car, your house, your bird feeders, your trash are off limits. To them, they're just trying to survive and it's free game!

Bear populations have exploded in the mountains because hardly anyone is hunting them anymore and until bear hunters are welcome again, it will continue to explode and human/bear interactions will continue to increase. That's just the harsh truth.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Met1985 said:

The euro is caving to the GFS with the trough coming through next week. 

Its going to come through but it's still going to rain an inch or 2 most likely. I dont see many 30s on any of the models but im sure some of the higher elevations will get there.  Doubt it's a widespread frost though the way it looks modeled 

5 hours ago, wncsnow said:

Its going to come through but it's still going to rain an inch or 2 most likely. I dont see many 30s on any of the models but im sure some of the higher elevations will get there.  Doubt it's a widespread frost though the way it looks modeled 

Well realistically we are entering back into our rainy period.  Fall and winter are our wettest months. This year has just continued were we left off last year. I do think we will see more widespread frost but this is still  early on in getting temps into the 30s. The GFS has been impressive with this cold front so we will see. We are still early on in the year.

1 hour ago, Met1985 said:

Well realistically we are entering back into our rainy period.  Fall and winter are our wettest months. This year has just continued were we left off last year. I do think we will see more widespread frost but this is still  early on in getting temps into the 30s. The GFS has been impressive with this cold front so we will see. We are still early on in the year.

October and November are usually 2 of the driest months. Hopefully that will be the case this year. It is a bit early but it just feels that way since we haven't had a bona-fide fall in years. I remember frost here being quite common in early October. 

1 hour ago, wncsnow said:

October and November are usually 2 of the driest months. Hopefully that will be the case this year. It is a bit early but it just feels that way since we haven't had a bona-fide fall in years. I remember frost here being quite common in early October. 

Lol dry months? We live in a rainforest now. Yeah we truly have not had a great fall in several years. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Maggie Ace said:

I see the models have flipped back to a rather chilly pattern late week. The first front Tuesday looks fairly wet. I see the extended forecast calls for a period of extended frost across the Smokey Mountains. Perhaps we will see some early NW flow events in the not too distant future. 

Yeah after tomorrow things will cool down big time, and starting Friday it will be downright cold for this time of the year. I do think we rebound a bit depending on the high latitude blocking. Its very jumpy currently and I don't trust it.