• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2020/2021 Fall/Winter Mountain thread

Met1985

Wow! Now that's a hike/run. I have hiked profile several times but never scout. Need to do that soon, but not running.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

I prefer the scout side access myself. If you go make sure to take the Nuwati to Cragway up to the DBS. And swing by Storyteller Rock if you have time. I love that view in the fall.

6 hours ago, BlueRidgeFolklore said:

We're officially heading toward a La Nina winter. That's not a bad thing for the mountains (obviously El Nino didn't do anything for us last year) depending on it's strength. We've had some decent La Nina winters in the last decade. 

La Nina can bring more NWFS but a less active southern stream and subtropical jet 

• Like 2

If we can get past Sally, I did like seeing this in the GSP forecast discussion:

The payoff from this late week unpleasantness will be our first
taste of fall over the weekend into early next week, when sprawling
cool/dry high pressure is forecast to overspread the East. Forecast
temps and dewpoints for Sat-Mon are more typical of mid-October than
mid-September.
  • Like 3

If we can get past Sally, I did like seeing this in the GSP forecast discussion:
The payoff from this late week unpleasantness will be our firsttaste of fall over the weekend into early next week, when sprawlingcool/dry high pressure is forecast to overspread the East. Forecasttemps and dewpoints for Sat-Mon are more typical of mid-October thanmid-September.

That cool down should help get the leaves changing. The maples and a few other species are already changing here in Wolf. 7db7a112aed0b35e832935ade3f1e83b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, BlueRidgeFolklore said:

If this verifies and we can ride this pattern into mid-October, there's a good chance we could see our first flakes flying in the higher elevations in less than a month. I've seen it a few of times in my lifetime here. :D

Excuse me while I go wax my skis:ski:

1 hour ago, BlueRidgeFolklore said:

If this verifies and we can ride this pattern into mid-October, there's a good chance we could see our first flakes flying in the higher elevations in less than a month. I've seen it a few of times in my lifetime here. :D

Yeah, one of the last times it significantly snowed in October, the Blowing Rock area got around 4-6 inches on Halloween.  I think that was 5-8 years ago.  I took the kids up the mountain to go sledding.  We had a blast.  I then expected a rockin' winter, and it turned out to be very mild, unfortunately.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

Yeah, one of the last times it significantly snowed in October, the Blowing Rock area got around 4-6 inches on Halloween.  I think that was 5-8 years ago.  I took the kids up the mountain to go sledding.  We had a blast.  I then expected a rockin' winter, and it turned out to be very mild, unfortunately.

Hurricane Sandy brought snow to the mountains in 2012

• Like 1

If this verifies and we can ride this pattern into mid-October, there's a good chance we could see our first flakes flying in the higher elevations in less than a month. I've seen it a few of times in my lifetime here.

I’d trade that look for early October if it would verify in late November

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1