Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September 2020 General Discussion

Hoosier

17 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

79’d at ORD for the 3rd consecutive day.

That is the 4th time that Chicago has had 3 consecutive highs of 79.  The other occurrences were in 1878, 1942 and 2007.  It has never happened 4 days in a row.  Tomorrow would have to underachieve a bit to do it.

Based on what bo said and my own observation, I'm thinking statewide the color show is going to be at least a week ahead of schedule.  I was planning a 3 day getaway up North but had to rearrange my schedule to make it earlier, going to northeast lower October 7 to 9.

By now, it is common to have hints of color here and there, but I cannot believe how much color has exploded here in Southeast Michigan. And it's a pretty, bright color too. Seems like a vibrant, early peak is on the way.  The extended stretch of sunny, mild days and cool nights really has helped.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Average low for DTW today is 51F. Don't get me wrong, obviously just because Detroit and Chicago average very similar temperatures does not mean they will always come in similar, it just seems a bit odd in this instance that it's been going on for so many months.  We've had chilly lows here, but again, DTW is warmer than most surrounding areas.  The recent cool snap saw a Min temp at DTW of 38F, with the rest of the mornings in the low or low to mid 40s. Most areas outside the immediate metro area were in the 30s daily with 20s the day that DTW had 38.

Perhaps because Chicago is a bigger city and it would experience more UHI than DTW? It was the same out here. Many of the areas outside the city got down below freezing last week whereas YYZ only bottomed out at 37.5F. UHI and the warmer lakes this year are playing a role in stabilizing nighttime temperatures in city areas. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Based on what bo said and my own observation, I'm thinking statewide the color show is going to be at least a week ahead of schedule.  I was planning a 3 day getaway up North but had to rearrange my schedule to make it earlier, going to northeast lower October 7 to 9.

By now, it is common to have hints of color here and there, but I cannot believe how much color has exploded here in Southeast Michigan. And it's a pretty, bright color too. Seems like a vibrant, early peak is on the way.  The extended stretch of sunny, mild days and cool nights really has helped.

If ever there's a year for the color change to not run behind schedule (running behind has seemingly become more common lately), this is it.  The only possible mitigating factor that I can imagine here locally would be if the dryness continues, which could dull it and make it go toward more of the brown look, but it would have to continue to be dry in the coming weeks.

40 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

Perhaps because Chicago is a bigger city and it would experience more UHI than DTW? It was the same out here. Many of the areas outside the city got down below freezing last week whereas YYZ only bottomed out at 37.5F. UHI and the warmer lakes this year are playing a role in stabilizing nighttime temperatures in city areas. 

meh, not sure.  Both ORD and DTW are not in the city propers, they are in suburban areas. 

5 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

If ever there's a year for the color change to not run behind schedule (running behind has seemingly become more common lately), this is it.  The only possible mitigating factor that I can imagine here locally would be if the dryness continues, which could dull it and make it go toward more of the brown look, but it would have to continue to be dry in the coming weeks.

It does seem like lately the Spring green up has been running late and the fall color show has been running late. Neither one extremely so, but on the order of 1 or 2 weeks.

What's interesting though is this just goes to show you that the weather does play a factor somewhat, is it appears 2020 will have had a late Spring green up but an early Fall color show.

I have always heard that sunny, dry, mild days and clear, dry, cool nights are the perfect recipe for excellent vibrant fall color. So I'm all for it remaining dry. Right on cue after the weather we've had the past few weeks, the trees are not only seeming to turn rapidly, but the color seems quite vibrant.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

It does seem like lately the Spring green up has been running late and the fall color show has been running late. Neither one extremely so, but on the order of 1 or 2 weeks.

What's interesting though is this just goes to show you that the weather does play a factor somewhat, is it appears 2020 will have had a late Spring green up but an early Fall color show.

I have always heard that sunny, dry, mild days and clear, dry, cool nights are the perfect recipe for excellent vibrant fall color. So I'm all for it remaining dry. Right on cue after the weather we've had the past few weeks, the trees are not only seeming to turn rapidly, but the color seems quite vibrant.

Not a tree expert by any means, but there is a point where too much dryness starts to stress the trees.  We are still in D0/D1 in this area, which isn't a major concern, but it could become a factor if it keeps up.  Don't have the type of color change here yet that you are describing, but I don't think that is out of the ordinary as I believe your area runs just a hair ahead of mine.

29 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Not a tree expert by any means, but there is a point where too much dryness starts to stress the trees.  We are still in D0/D1 in this area, which isn't a major concern, but it could become a factor if it keeps up.  Don't have the type of color change here yet that you are describing, but I don't think that is out of the ordinary as I believe your area runs just a hair ahead of mine.

Color definitely seems early. I'm supposed to be headed out to the Jackson area later so it will be interesting if I see some good color on the road trip there.  Went Apple picking the other day and you can already see some good color starting. here's a freeway shot lol.

20200922_194806.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Geoboy645 said:

Yeah around here the color really has started to explode the last 2-3 days. I think peak will be next weekend, which is a week earlier than normal. It'll be nice to have a vibrant colors year for once after the last 4 years of dull colors.

We've had a lot of vibrant color years for the most part but last year was quite dull but with an explosive but brief nice finale.

8 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

We've had a lot of vibrant color years for the most part but last year was quite dull but with an explosive but brief nice finale.

Around where I normally live it always seems like that the colors are dull. Even when the rest of the area has pretty vibrant colors. I don't know if it's just the trees around me or what.

4 hours ago, RobertSul said:

I remember O’Hare being in a pretty built-up area. Romulus feels as though it’s basically in the middle of a big field. 

Romulus is definitely more rural, but the problem with any airport is all the concrete runways. If you are driving just south and west of DTW airport property, particularly on a radiational cooling night, watch your car thermometer absolutely tank, with a temperature reading much lower than the official temperature which is being taken just a spit away.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Geoboy645 said:

Around where I normally live it always seems like that the colors are dull. Even when the rest of the area has pretty vibrant colors. I don't know if it's just the trees around me or what.

Do you know what kind of trees you have nearby? There are some species of trees which do seem to be on the less impressive side no matter what, but when everything is mixed in together it's a great color show.

A warned line of storms came through late last night.  Heavy rain and wind brought down a lot of leaves. The lightening flashes along with the vivid color was pretty cool.  Another batch of rain coming again tonight.  

The first flakes are still in the forecast next week.  If October is on the colder side, snow will come and likely stay for the season.  Autumn is so short in the north.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1