Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September 2020 General Discussion

Hoosier

On 9/19/2020 at 9:26 AM, michsnowfreak said:

Record lows set at Detroit (38F) and Flint (30F). it appears that all outlying/rural areas either had a freeze or were close to it with heavy frost. The DTX NWS office in White Lake got down to 27! very impressive for it technically still being summer. We had some rooftop frost here but not on the ground. 

Hit 30.2 on my backyard sensor.

Birdbath was frozen.

• Like 2

On 9/19/2020 at 8:43 AM, Danny8 said:

I'm in St Helen and was in Grayling yesterday, colors have only just started up here. Maybe ~10% of trees

I'm thinking Munising area this weekend (if the weather isn't bottom shelf) and then Northern Lower the next weekend. There's multiple waterfalls I want to get with fall colors.

• Like 1

Today will be the 8th day in a row without measurable precip at ORD.  That is not a noteworthy run by any means though.  It does appear that the precipless streak will extend to about 2 weeks... perhaps beyond... but we'll see.  Even a 2 week streak is not that impressive as there have been 170 streaks of 14+ days since records began, so about once per year on average.  

It starts getting more interesting around 20 days.  Super long streaks without precip seem to be harder to come by than they used to be as you have to go back to 2003 for the last 20 day streak, despite that being about a 1 in 4 year occurrence over the period of record.

Screenshot_20200921-135603.thumb.png.6a3fef67fb4b7b07d09f8159d97f4727.png

• Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 11:42 AM, Chicago Storm said:

Interesting map. This Sept isn’t a good example though...

314842aa07f7dfbc48314714e5db99f9.jpg

I graphed this. May have warmed much for Sept, but looks we're getting back to what seems close to normal these past few years, at least for the upper midwest.

https://psl.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/data/testdap/timeseries.pl

Upper midwest sept temps.gif

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MIstorm97 said:

What does sat show for colors in the central part of the UP?

I'm sure there's decent color, just maybe not peak yet.  Although I'd imagine there are areas along Newberry/The Seney Stretch that are peaking. The progression of the change is rapid day to day right now.  Leaves are falling quite a bit here , even with no breeze.

snapshot.thumb.jpg.cce59f685dfa55751c10ab4fe0e9aa7a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/22/2020 at 1:51 PM, Hoosier said:

ORD actually has a slight + departure on temps so far this month, even though it is generally below average across the region.

Cue beavis in 3...2...1...

this is the 7th straight month that DTW is noticeably colder than ORD despite averaging very similar. it does seem odd. And of course as it is, DTW is one of the warmest in Southeast Michigan

Thru 9/23

DTW 63.3 (-2.7)

ORD 67.0 (+1.0)

20 hours ago, weatherbo said:

I'm sure there's decent color, just maybe not peak yet.  Although I'd imagine there are areas along Newberry/The Seney Stretch that are peaking. The progression of the change is rapid day to day right now.  Leaves are falling quite a bit here , even with no breeze.

snapshot.thumb.jpg.cce59f685dfa55751c10ab4fe0e9aa7a.jpg

I'm very torn on whether to head up this weekend. The weather isn't looking great, but clouds can still work for fall foliage. I really want to get the fall colors with multiple waterfalls in the Pictured Rocks area (Miners Falls, Sable Falls, etc). I'm limited in my time being up in the UP because I'm doing student teaching right now. For sure next weekend, but maybe this weekend too.

3 hours ago, MIstorm97 said:

I'm very torn on whether to head up this weekend. The weather isn't looking great, but clouds can still work for fall foliage. I really want to get the fall colors with multiple waterfalls in the Pictured Rocks area (Miners Falls, Sable Falls, etc). I'm limited in my time being up in the UP because I'm doing student teaching right now. For sure next weekend, but maybe this weekend too.

Next weekend? Idk how much color will be left. The hard freeze probably won’t allow the leaves to hang around long once they color up. Also next weeks weather mentions rain, wind, and yes, the first flakes. That won’t be too kind to the color, either. Of course, this is just my perspective and opinion from what I'm seeing in my little corner of the UP.

Hope this helps!
http://funintheup.com/fallcolors/upper-peninsula-fall-color-report.html

yesterday:

1127391977_IMG_0379(1).thumb.jpg.faae8b3e8f9235afdcca60749c3a818b.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

this is the 7th straight month that DTW is noticeably colder than ORD despite averaging very similar. it does seem odd. And of course as it is, DTW is one of the warmest in Southeast Michigan

Thru 9/23

DTW 63.3 (-2.7)

ORD 67.0 (+1.0)

We are running exactly avg here at YYZ which is 61.1F as of yesterday. But these next few days will put us at a slight + departure like ORD. Warm overnight lows seem to be killing us or else we'd be running below normal. Not sure what the avg overnight low for DTW is but our average on this date is 46.4F. 

18 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

We are running exactly avg here at YYZ which is 61.1F as of yesterday. But these next few days will put us at a slight + departure like ORD. Warm overnight lows seem to be killing us or else we'd be running below normal. Not sure what the avg overnight low for DTW is but our average on this date is 46.4F. 

Average low for DTW today is 51F. Don't get me wrong, obviously just because Detroit and Chicago average very similar temperatures does not mean they will always come in similar, it just seems a bit odd in this instance that it's been going on for so many months.  We've had chilly lows here, but again, DTW is warmer than most surrounding areas.  The recent cool snap saw a Min temp at DTW of 38F, with the rest of the mornings in the low or low to mid 40s. Most areas outside the immediate metro area were in the 30s daily with 20s the day that DTW had 38.

A friend of mine took me on a ride up the North Shore of Lake Superior yesterday. Definitely near peak conditions north of Two Harbors. We went up Hwy #61 then up Hwy #1 then down Hwy #2. Didn't see any moose, but a nice ride. Temps were running mid 60's near shore to low 80's inland. It was a very beautiful day. Bye-bye Indian summer.

• Like 1