Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September 2020 General Discussion

Hoosier

2 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Refreshing.  Nice preview of fall.  If it were to stay like this that'd be one thing, but we have a lot of warm days left before cold settles in for good.  High here was 58 at midnight, 55 the highest during the day.  Up to 1.92" since last eve.

Meanwhile on the other side of the front, 90 at KIND today and have had 0.01 and two T's the last week and a half.

• Sad 1

We had a small cell pop up this afternoon. I saw an old OFB drifting southward toward it, so I thought I'd get under it. Sure enough, they collided and went boom. Although the worst of it only lasted about 30 seconds, we had hail off and on for about 5 minutes. It later blew a semi over on I 69.

Pardon the French, but it caught me by surprise. I only say that when the winds are north of 50. :D

• Like 8

Here’s the coldest airport obs I can find across Minnesota. Looks like a season ending freeze across the northland.

Frost advisories for the Twin Cities and points north tonight. I can’t recall an earlier winter headline that I’ve been under before. I remember being in Iowa with my parents to see general Wesley Clark speak in September 2000 and there being a frost risk not sure the date or what type of advisory was posted. 

Virginia MN: 29

Cook MN: 28

Bigfork MN: 27

Bemidji MN: 28

Ely MN: 27

1 hour ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Here’s the coldest airport obs I can find across Minnesota. Looks like a season ending freeze across the northland.

Frost advisories for the Twin Cities and points north tonight. I can’t recall an earlier winter headline that I’ve been under before. I remember being in Iowa with my parents to see general Wesley Clark speak in September 2000 and there being a frost risk not sure the date or what type of advisory was posted. 

Virginia MN: 29

Cook MN: 28

Bigfork MN: 27

Bemidji MN: 28

Ely MN: 27

Sea Gull Lake MN : 26

Margie MN : 25

On the other hand I don't know if the stations bugs

9 hours ago, MrFreeze6298 said:

Merci beaucoup :)

You speak french ?

I learned French from Kindergarten through Grade 9 as its part of our school curriculum. Unfortunately, I’ve forgotten it almost entirely as Grade 9 was almost 12 years ago for me haha. 

Plan on learning it again or at least covering all the basics. Bonjour :D

Record low max temps at a few stations across MN and WI for Sept 8th.

Duluth, MN: 52 tied 1946

Brainerd, MN: 52 tied 1946

Ashland, WI: 52 tied 1929

Mpls, MN: 52 broke 54(1929)

St. Cloud, MN: 53 broke 54(1929,1946)

Eau Claire, WI: 54 broke 60(1946)

Slew of stations from N WI

ANTIGO 49 broke 55 1911

APPLETON 55 broke 57 1943

MARSHFIELD 51 broke 56 1946

MERRILL 52 broke 57 1943

OSHKOSH 59 TIED 59 2008

RHINELANDER 50 broke 53 1943

WAUSAU 51 broke 55 1911

STEVENS POINT 52 broke 55 1924

WISCONSIN RAPIDS 53 broke 54 1975

Even Sioux Falls, SD: 49 tied 1929

I'm sure there are many more.

There's one year in my childhood that sticks out to me as being similar to this one in having an abrupt flip to an extended period of chilly, drizzly, dreary weather in early September. It would have to have been sometime in the 1990s, I distinctly remember having just started school one year and waiting for the bus shivering in a hoodie for several days. Can anyone think what year that could have been?

16 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

There's one year in my childhood that sticks out to me as being similar to this one in having an abrupt flip to an extended period of chilly, drizzly, dreary weather in early September. It would have to have been sometime in the 1990s, I distinctly remember having just started school one year and waiting for the bus shivering in a hoodie for several days. Can anyone think what year that could have been?

1977. Pre hoodie days. Just a KISS tee.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Maybe 1995-96?  Chicago had its earliest freeze on record (ORD hit 32F on 9/22/1995)...then the next day was even more impressive with a low of 29F on 9/23/1995. 

Or, 1993-94?  September 1993 was Chicago's coldest September on record, 59.2F vs. the 1981-2010 normal of 64.6F.  Could have been lingering effects of Pinatubo?

• Thanks 1

Another record cold max yesterday of 51.  Again the earliest it's been this cold for a high, breaking the previous date of Sept 12th.  

0.35" of rain yesterday, 1.72" for the month.  Steadier rain than was expected today, looks like only slight drying tomorrow before rain moves back in

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, madwx said:

Another record cold max yesterday of 51.  Again the earliest it's been this cold for a high, breaking the previous date of Sept 12th.  

0.35" of rain yesterday, 1.72" for the month.  Steadier rain than was expected today, looks like only slight drying tomorrow before rain moves back in

It had looked like there could be a significant break in the rain today, but models underforecasted this new disturbance lifting northeast across the region.  It's not heavy, but it will keep the rain going for much of the day.

• Like 1

Here where I live, roughly an hour North of Grand Rapids, MI. we hit a high of only 55° Tuesday, and 57° yesterday. 60’s remainder of the week and lows in the upper 40’s to low 50’s. Feeling like fall, back to normal this weekend and next, but only about 3-4 more weeks before consistent cool weather and about 6-8 weeks from our first snowfall. 

• Like 2