Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
Significant Severe Weather Event Possible Thursday, August 27, 2020

weatherwiz

44 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Thanks. I’m hating the nam look right now. Praying it’s just the nam doing nam things. 

I remember there was a day maybe ten or twelve years ago that looked like a historic NE outbreak. I seem to recall the SPC had a 10 or 15% hatched tornado for us in the outlook. Shear was awesome, instability was sufficient, strong trigger....but we overlooked the lapse rates, which were awful. Lo and behold, whatever updrafts tried to go up were feeble and just got blown over by the shear. Brutal bust, so painful I can't even recall when that day was.

Edit: found it. June 6, 2010. 80 kt jet, 60 kt bulk shear, raging llj, 45% hatched wind, 10% tornado. Epic epic bust.

24 minutes ago, Hoth said:

I remember there was a day maybe ten or twelve years ago that looked like a historic NE outbreak. I seem to recall the SPC had a 10 or 15% hatched tornado for us in the outlook. Shear was awesome, instability was sufficient, strong trigger....but we overlooked the lapse rates, which were awful. Lo and behold, whatever updrafts tried to go up were feeble and just got blown over by the shear. Brutal bust, so painful I can't even recall when that day was.

Edit: found it. June 6, 2010. 80 kt jet, 60 kt bulk shear, raging llj, 45% hatched wind, 10% tornado. Epic epic bust.

Bust in the TOR department but there were several microbursts. Lapse rates were forecast to be pretty good actually but AM crap sort of weakened them. Never did generate a good amount of MLCAPE and shear was just too much for the updrafts and that hurt convection from becoming deep

• Like 1

Today is just going to be a question of instability I think. I do think we'll get the warm front into CT and probably very close to Hartford. We're talking about effective bulk shear values approaching 60 knots with effective helicity values of 300 m2s2...if we push MLCAPE ~2,000+ J/KG (which is possible) there is going to be some big time trouble today.