Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September 2020 Discussion

moneypitmike

46 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Normally down here Columbus weekend is peak or near peak, this year I don't think so. I drove through the higher terrain over through Stratton today on my way down to HVN and the reds are really popping, especially for Sept 24th, I mean some spots looked really nice.  I think we'll be past even down here by Columbus Day.  Even some decent Maples on I- 91 down throug Mass changing.

It’s insane all the sudden.  Foliage is just cranking in the past 72 hours.  At this rate it’ll all be over in a week, lol.

The worst foliage is actually above 3,000ft, just bland like that sub-ridge in the back you can barely make out in this photo.  The mid-slope hardwoods and even down into town the reds are incredible all the sudden.  Just full bright red.

0D1ECFA4-6BE8-4A27-B80D-C5C66DFEE086.thumb.jpeg.a55a011ba516460ddb6841d556776bcb.jpeg
6CCDFF52-7983-4632-8059-188B25A34073.thumb.jpeg.09b2b50e8f8f39c7f1e35d29782d79c2.jpeg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

And the alternatives and stimuli offered up by technological modernity offer so much more appealing alternatives to feeling accomplished and basing internal spiritual wealth on a pattern of substantive achievement therefrom. 

wrong: it is an illusion - all of society is based on a vapid participation trophy for that matter.

societies of western Industrial derivatives ... man, if it wasn't for the fact that 'morality' and 'virtuality' are also, in themselve, merely human perception-constructs ( that bear no significance to the natural order of reality outside of our own immediate sentience-necessity ...) I'd say all these cultural ilks that derive pleasure and distraction by means of technological orgies are in desperate need of an asteroid impact to force feed them a fragility reminder/humility.  The vibe of 'entitlement' that proliferates all interactions at all scope and scales, in the gearing of societies of these convenience-addling ilk ... it's really ugly man.  

You know, that's high-brow ... 25$ words to describe a petty entitlement that happens once populations get used to electricity and other conveniences- but there really is truth to it.. 

I was joking in case it wasn't clear and agree with much of what you said.  (FWIW until the ground freezes I would rather spend my free time moving rocks on our land than be inside and once the snow hits there are remarks made that I spend too much time hand shoveling our 110 yd driveway.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

It’s insane all the sudden.  Foliage is just cranking in the past 72 hours.  At this rate it’ll all be over in a week, lol.

The worst foliage is actually above 3,000ft, just bland like that sub-ridge in the back you can barely make out in this photo.  The mid-slope hardwoods and even down into town the reds are incredible all the sudden.  Just full bright red.

0D1ECFA4-6BE8-4A27-B80D-C5C66DFEE086.thumb.jpeg.a55a011ba516460ddb6841d556776bcb.jpeg
6CCDFF52-7983-4632-8059-188B25A34073.thumb.jpeg.09b2b50e8f8f39c7f1e35d29782d79c2.jpeg

I thought we were told the freezing temps we had were going to dull the foliage

Just now, powderfreak said:

Just now, MaineJayhawk said:

I thought we were told the freezing temps we had we're going to dull the foliage

I was just going to post that..ha

Maybe it will shorten the peak, who knows. It certainly isnt dulling any colors. Stuff is intense right now.

5 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I was just going to post that..ha

Maybe it will shorten the peak, who knows. It certainly isnt dulling any colors. Stuff is intense right now.

Early hard freezes tend to do both. Dulls the color some and shortens the season. That prob wouldn’t affect powderfreak’s mid-slope pics because they didn’t freeze I don’t think. They would actually get enhanced color because “near-freeze” nights and sunny days bring out more oranges and reds. 

But lower down it might be more noticeable. Doesn’t mean it cancels the foliage season...just makes it less and shorter than it otherwise would have been. 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Early hard freezes tend to do both. Dulls the color some and shortens the season. That prob wouldn’t affect powderfreak’s mid-slope pics because they didn’t freeze I don’t think. They would actually get enhanced color because “near-freeze” nights and sunny days bring out more oranges and reds. 

But lower down it might be more noticeable. Doesn’t mean it cancels the foliage season...just makes it less and shorter than it otherwise would have been. 

Maybe it shortens it but the trees in town seem equally vibrant red.  I’ll have to grab some photos from the road tomorrow, coming back from work today it was popping bright red in several spots.  We did freeze at 1500ft but I bet 2000+ avoided it.

6 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

My front and back property have stone walls. I am always amazed at the stone masons from the 1600 1700 1800 hundreds who took such time to build intricate walls. Such beauty as this stock pic shows

104609984-green-mossy-old-stone-wall-new-england-padnaram-dartmouth-massachusetts-stone-walls-were-built-in-th.jpg

Amazing, possibly as far back as the 17th century. True craftsman and Masons. Their never ending supply of material, a gift of the ice ages. As always

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

We in it. We know  . We live here. Haven’t seen any pics looking anything like it does around here posted from E CT

Nobody burns their lawns here from excessive mowing and fertilizer that brings your PH down to 5 without water.  Of course hydrology determines stages not some guy in Tollands lawn.

21 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I mentioned that in a post a few days ago to  CoastalWx, I noticed that some mid slope PWS around here were staying in the Mid 30s some of those cold nights and that it would prob still be good in those elevation hillside zones.

15 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I mentioned that in a post a few days ago to  CoastalWx, I noticed that some mid slope PWS around here were staying in the Mid 30s some of those cold nights and that it would prob still be good in those elevation hillside zones.

Nobody said it would cancel foliage, just that multiple nights of temps 20-25 probably may cause an issue. Maybe it’s only in the hollows and those in town where it’s a few warmer and on mid slope do pretty well.

35 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Maybe it shortens it but the trees in town seem equally vibrant red.  I’ll have to grab some photos from the road tomorrow, coming back from work today it was popping bright red in several spots.  We did freeze at 1500ft but I bet 2000+ avoided it.

Yeah maybe the freeze wasn’t bad enough to dull them much. I don’t know. Or maybe it would have been even brighter without the freeze. Hard to say. There’s obviously other factors too. We had a lot of cold crisp “near freeze” nights up north prior to the actual freeze, so perhaps that was enough to really juice the sugars in the hardwoods. 

• Like 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Nobody said it would cancel foliage, just that multiple nights of temps 20-25 probably may cause an issue. Maybe it’s only in the hollows and those in town where it’s a few warmer and on mid slope do pretty well.

Right, I'm not saying you went all Kevin and said it was going to be a sea of brown like he does most years. 

There probably will be spots, even higher up little more dull where they radiate----hollows, etc.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Someone in the northeast is gonna go from Stein to mudslides. That’s a great heavy rain setup. It will favor west initially, but  the front is a slow mover. Could have a low develop offshore too and bring rains to eastern spots towards day 8-10ish.

No one asked .. but I've been wondering if that D5-10 trough might end up more of a Bahama blue pattern when no one was expecting... Particularly because the ridge signal in the west in unusually potent, and I'm wondering if the trough doesn't end up stalling for a bit more W of the mountains .. .setting the state for S conveyor deal - it's not far from that already.

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah maybe the freeze wasn’t bad enough to dull them much. I don’t know. Or maybe it would have been even brighter without the freeze. Hard to say. There’s obviously other factors too. We had a lot of cold crisp “near freeze” nights up north prior to the actual freeze, so perhaps that was enough to really juice the sugars in the hardwoods. 

Ha that’s true, maybe it could’ve been even brighter.

I could see it speeding up though for sure... like it feels like it’s over in a week at this rate lol.

15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha that’s true, maybe it could’ve been even brighter.

I could see it speeding up though for sure... like it feels like it’s over in a week at this rate lol.

Yeah I’m not a total expert on this stuff but from all the stuff I’ve read over the years, you want lots of cold (but not freezing) nights and sunny days. That was happening up until recently when the freezes happened...so perhaps there was enough sugar production to still get lots of reds/oranges from those previous “cold but not freezing” nights and the actual freeze is just going to act to shorten the season rather than have a large effect on dulling the colors. 

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Nobody burns their lawns here from excessive mowing and fertilizer that brings your PH down to 5 without water.  Of course hydrology determines stages not some guy in Tollands lawn.

Let’s get some drought pics of your entire yard. Take one from the front in the street of the whole yard and house.. and then a full shot of the backyard , house , pool etc. Kind of give us a panoramic 

35 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

What does the extreme drought do? It seems some species here are browning and dying , but there are some very vivid reds. Maybe some bright, but short duration 

12 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Let’s get some drought pics of your entire yard. Take one from the front in the street of the whole yard and house.. and then a full shot of the backyard , house , pool etc. Kind of give us a panoramic 

JV team, some day you might make the varsity if you practice harder.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Great day today.  77F.   A friend invited us for a sail on Newfound Lake.   Color is coming on very fast and very early in my hood.  My birch and aspen grove has really exploded with color the past 2 days.  We never had a freeze last week up here on my hill so it must be stress related to the drought.