Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September 2020 Discussion

moneypitmike

15 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Pretty sure my shallow dug well is about to go kaput. Unless I can get water delivered or it actually rains I will have to head back to MD. Damn Stein. 

Really?  Even after 15” this summer?

But I will say I’ve never seen anything like this September... when these mountains are under half an inch for the month, yikes.

191EFE91-0158-45D5-BCA0-56EEFBA8E2E1.jpeg.516f09df4b06391eb1db2f0a4b06e813.jpeg

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Really?  Even after 15” this summer?

But I will say I’ve never seen anything like this September... when these mountains are under half an inch for the month, yikes.

191EFE91-0158-45D5-BCA0-56EEFBA8E2E1.jpeg.516f09df4b06391eb1db2f0a4b06e813.jpeg

It's a shallow well so it needs groundwater. I have no frame of reference for how full the basin should look so maybe it will be fine. I am getting nervous however.

55 minutes ago, weathafella said:

So you’re arguing a time when lifespans were <40 and a cut from a fungal infused branch you incurred while clearing from your lot and died from was better?   

I'm not "arguing" anything - 

But, that < 40 statement is a falesy ...and so is that relative rare phenomenon that still claims lives today anyway - another false equivalency -

I'm not saying life expectancy hasn't benefitted - I was talking about the 'entitlement' and its ugliness.  

There needs to be some sort of concerted virtuosity involved in the advantages that tech provides ... but no sooner than we evolve this wonder as a species...it's schemed -

24 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

I thought it's daylight that makes more of an impact on when the leaves turn versus temps 

It is daylight, but if you have the cool/cold nights like we just had for 5-6 days in a row that certainly helps too.   Quite a bit of color showing up here in inland CT already this early fall. Leaves are definitely going to peak early this year; and way earlier than last year. 

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

I thought it's daylight that makes more of an impact on when the leaves turn versus temps 

Warm and cold stretches can prolong or hasten the season. The daylight loss is obviously the catalyst and main driver, but temps do modulate the season somewhat. Maybe 1-2 weeks at most.

5 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Interesting to read this as part of the Drought update. D4

Capture.thumb.JPG.06adfeb997753c84a18d7b2198026e03.JPG

5 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Damn we’re in D4?

I've been following the drought conditions up there and it's quite alarming in my opinion.  I did some digging on climate statistics and this is what I came up with:

Boston is experiencing its 9th driest year on record thru 9/24 since when records began in 1936. It's also currently the 2nd driest Sept on record (0.35"), behind only 1957 (0.46"). Providence is experiencing its driest Sept since records began in 1932. It is also tied for the 5th driest year on record for Providence through September 24th (not including 1932 where records are missing).

Hopefully the expected rain on Monday helps alleviate some of that.

• Sad 1

Just now, It's Always Sunny said:

I've been following the drought conditions up there and it's quite alarming in my opinion.  I did some digging on climate statistics and this is what I came up with:

Boston is experiencing its 9th driest year on record thru 9/24 since when records began in 1936. It's also currently the 2nd driest Sept on record (0.35"), behind only 1957 (0.46"). Providence is experiencing its driest Sept since records began in 1932. It is also tied for the 5th driest year on record for Providence through September 24th (not including 1932 where records are missing).

Hopefully the expected rain on Monday helps alleviate some of that.

We have been living your forum name. :lol: 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Someone in the northeast is gonna go from Stein to mudslides. That’s a great heavy rain setup. It will favor west initially, but  the front is a slow mover. Could have a low develop offshore too and bring rains to eastern spots towards day 8-10ish.

but they said it will never rain again!

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Someone in the northeast is gonna go from Stein to mudslides. That’s a great heavy rain setup. It will favor west initially, but between the front is a slow mover. Could have a low develop offshore too and bring rains to eastern spots towards day 8-10ish.

Yeah there is a great moisture fetch from the Gulf that should fuel this fropa.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Hopefully you just need to get to next Tue/Wed. Looks like a good set up for inches of water.

Yeah, trying to line up getting water delivered and dumped into the well. That would tide us over. I will be getting a drilled well put in at this point. They are backlogged to December however. 

• Like 2

This reminds me in the winter when it’s modeled to get cold and snowy days 8-10. Then that day 8-10 gets pushed out to the next day 8-10 and on and on. Before you know it, the snow and cold vanished and everything stayed west of the apps and Tip is posting about warm car seats tickling his package .This initially was Sunday night into Tuesday. Now it’s Thursday into the weekend. I wonder how this ends 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

6 hours ago, mreaves said:

I know that many think of Columbus Day as usually the peak but I don't think that's always been true.  We picked our wedding date 20 years ago, September 29th, because that always seemed closer to the regular peak, if there is such a thing.  I'm not sure if there is any data that could really back this up, just my memories through the years.   

Normally down here Columbus weekend is peak or near peak, this year I don't think so. I drove through the higher terrain over through Stratton today on my way down to HVN and the reds are really popping, especially for Sept 24th, I mean some spots looked really nice.  I think we'll be past even down here by Columbus Day.  Even some decent Maples on I- 91 down throug Mass changing.

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah, trying to line up getting water delivered and dumped into the well. That would tide us over. I will be getting a drilled well put in at this point. They are backlogged to December however. 

It is a shame your house did not come with a large tank of some sort that held water into which you could have jumped occasionally.