Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September 2020 Discussion

moneypitmike

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

The trees are changing every 12 hours it’s noticeable.  Definitely going to peak early, by October 1st probably at this rate.  Columbus Day weekend will be stick season.

Yeah I was thinking that. SNE peeps coming up to the Kanc on Columbus Day weekend only seeing sticks. 

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The trees are changing every 12 hours it’s noticeable.  Definitely going to peak early, by October 1st probably at this rate.  Columbus Day weekend will be stick season.

I know that many think of Columbus Day as usually the peak but I don't think that's always been true.  We picked our wedding date 20 years ago, September 29th, because that always seemed closer to the regular peak, if there is such a thing.  I'm not sure if there is any data that could really back this up, just my memories through the years.   

29 minutes ago, dendrite said:

There's a couple of really nice stretches of color right now on 93 north, north of CON. Especially around the Northfield rest area and a bit before exit 19. It was pretty impressive on my ride home last night. I feel like it usually looks like this around the first week of October.

Color is coming on strong and very early in the Newfound Area.  My birches and aspens especially.  I usually don't peak till Oct 18th or so.  Trees must be conserving moisture as they start to go dormant.  That's my hypothesis

2 hours ago, weathafella said:

Ithaca,NY.  Taghannock Falls

That's it Jerry, there was another good size fall up there, we hiked about a mile up a trail to get there, when we were there a deer fell over the falls, it was alive but appeared to have broken its legs, animal control had to put him down. 

18 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I know that many think of Columbus Day as usually the peak but I don't think that's always been true.  We picked our wedding date 20 years ago, September 29th, because that always seemed closer to the regular peak, if there is such a thing.  I'm not sure if there is any data that could really back this up, just my memories through the years.   

Yeah for sure Columbus Day is past peak up here pretty much every year, but it’s when the tourists come to look at the leaves.  Every year they say “looks like we should’ve been here a week or two ago.”  It’s still nice viewing but it’s that uniform orange by then...the red and yellow is gone and there’s a lot of bare trees as well.

21 minutes ago, mreaves said:

We share the same anniversary date.  Early congrats to you and your siggy other.   It'll be our 19th here. 

23 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

We share the same anniversary date.  Early congrats to you and your siggy other.   It'll be our 19th here. 

Thank you and to you too.  We were 2001 as well.  It was quite a time 3 weeks after 9/11 and worrying about all the travel some of our relatives were doing and the fact that we had plane tickets to England for our honeymoon.  

5 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Thank you and to you too.  We were 2001 as well.  It was quite a time 3 weeks after 9/11 and worrying about all the travel some of our relatives were doing and the fact that we had plane tickets to England for our honeymoon.  

Yeah, I recall going through the airports and there was basically National Guard troops patrolling the terminal.  We took a cruise.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That borders the periphery of the backyard/ woods. It’s kind of a diagonal line that stretches from the woods up to behind the house. There’s a public hiking trail way back in the woods that goes for many miles thru the woods in town 

I found the stone fences so natural. Did you or previous owners erect it? Is it older than your residence or the others in the area? It is graceful and unobtrusive what better boundary than earths own stone. As always ....

Just now, rclab said:

I found the stone fences so natural. Did you or previous owners erect it? Is it older than your residence or the others in the area? It is graceful and unobtrusive what better boundary than earths own stone. As always ....

My front and back property have stone walls. I am always amazed at the stone masons from the 1600 1700 1800 hundreds who took such time to build intricate walls. Such beauty as this stock pic shows

104609984-green-mossy-old-stone-wall-new-england-padnaram-dartmouth-massachusetts-stone-walls-were-built-in-th.jpg

• Thanks 1

Yeah we nice and smooth soil here in the ctrv.  My uncle from Gardner Mass when he came down to visit me last year hadn't been to the valley where I live in over 15 years and forgotten how much flat  and fertile farmland was in this area.  I probably have to travel about 10 miles east or west to start hitting the stone walls.