Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September 2020 Discussion

moneypitmike

16 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

And wells are drying up because those same people who can't help but cut their lawn 3 times a week in a major drought are now dumping hundreds of gallons a day on their lawns in an attempt to save them. It really is a massively wasteful endeavor.

I understand what you are saying but you seem overly harsh on people maintaining their lawns. It may not be important to you but to a lot of people it is. Just like planting and watering flowers, landscape, shrubbery, home maintenance, curb appeal, etc. it’s important to people who value their home, properties, appearance, value, etc. There are times when nature calls for cutting back to conserve, but that is hardly ever the case in this area and pride in people’s homes and the curb appeal has always been important to many just as other things in life may be to others. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

And wells are drying up because those same people who can't help but cut their lawn 3 times a week in a major drought are now dumping hundreds of gallons a day on their lawns in an attempt to save them. It really is a massively wasteful endeavor.

I think it’s also important to point out the majority of wells going dry are shallow dug wells. You see articles like that every time there is a dry period. Shallow dug wells are more prone to issues during short term dry periods. Not saying a drilled well can’t go dry... but the majority of the issues are not with drilled wells.

35 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Lawns in general are very poor use of resources and environmentally do next to nothing.  Many cultures and other parts of the world do not understand our infatuation with lawns.  Leaving it as a field naturally is much better for the health of the local environment, or use it as a space to grow food... the lawn is certainly a product of suburban developments.

3 minutes ago, greenmtnwx said:

I understand what you are saying but you seem overly harsh on people maintaining their lawns. It may not be important to you but to a lot of people it is. Just like planting and watering flowers, landscape, shrubbery, home maintenance, curb appeal, etc. it’s important to people who value their home, properties, appearance, value, etc. There are times when nature calls for cutting back to conserve, but that is hardly ever the case in this area and pride in people’s homes and the curb appeal has always been important to many just as other things in life may be to others. 

And many cities/towns have watering restrictions which limit the amount of watering that can be done. I know people who have had their wells run dry  and they have not been watering their lawns. I also know a few people who are having water delivered to preserve their wells.  A lot of people do take great pride in their property/home. As you know repairing extensive lawn damage can be expensive. And even in the best of situations it may not work all that well. I agree with you on it being important to some people. 

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Lawns in general are very poor use of resources and environmentally do next to nothing.  Many cultures and other parts of the world do not understand our infatuation with lawns.  Leaving it as a field naturally is much better for the health of the local environment, or use it as a space to grow food... the lawn is certainly a product of suburban developments.

My lawn is basically a field that I keep cut.  

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/09/video/lawn-grass-environment-history.html

34 minutes ago, greenmtnwx said:

I am strictly referring to people who burn their lawns because they inexplicably keep cutting the grass short three times a week in a drought. Then they have to extensively water to save the lawn. Being proud of your lawn and it’s appearance Is perfectly fine. I was just making some commentary on the silliness and pointlessness of the cut/water/cut/water cycle some of the lawn fans seem unable to break out of in a drought situation. Just stop mowing!

I wouldn't shame people into having a nice yard either. I know some can go way wild, but nothing wrong with having some pride in your yard. When I lived in Dorchester, a lot of the old timers used to always be out and about weeding...hell even pulling stuff out of the cracks of sidewalks and sweeping them. I think it does speak a bit to your work ethic as well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

I am strictly referring to people who burn their lawns because they inexplicably keep cutting the grass short three times a week in a drought. Then they have to extensively water to save the lawn. Being proud of your lawn and it’s appearance Is perfectly fine. I was just making some commentary on the silliness and pointlessness of the cut/water/cut/water cycle some of the lawn fans seem unable to break out of in a drought situation. Just stop mowing!

Yeah that is the other end of the spectrum. You actually cause way more harm.

26 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I think it’s also important to point out the majority of wells going dry are shallow dug wells. You see articles like that every time there is a dry period. Shallow dug wells are more prone to issues during short term dry periods. Not saying a drilled well can’t go dry... but the majority of the issues are not with drilled wells.

Water usage at the aquifer level affects entire neighborhoods. So even if you aren’t watering, others are tapping into that precious resource all the same and it could eventually affect your well. 

15 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I wouldn't shame people into having a nice yard either. I know some can go way wild, but nothing wrong with having some pride in your yard. When I lived in Dorchester, a lot of the old timers used to always be out and about weeding...hell even pulling stuff out of the cracks of sidewalks and sweeping them. I think it does speak a bit to your work ethic as well. 

Did they ever pull things out their own cracks?

GEFS will run to 35 days out at 00z. That will take forever though. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I do think this new GEFS won't finish as early as it used to despite starting earlier. The stats do show an improvement and it would be nice for the GEFS to be more competitive with the EPS.  I have not been impressed at all with both the euro op and ensemble this summer. 

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

GEFS will run to 35 days out at 00z. That will take forever though. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I do think this new GEFS won't finish as early as it used to despite starting earlier. The stats do show an improvement and it would be nice for the GEFS to be more competitive with the EPS.  I have not been impressed at all with both the euro op and ensemble this summer. 

This was posted on SV

• The model will start sooner, near the beginning of the GFS operational
  • The model will end later, near about days 5-6 on the European operational

31 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

When I first became a homeowner I thought I was would be smart and reduce the number times I had to mow by mowing it really low.  Well it burned out and was replaced by crabgrass and weeds.   

2 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

This was posted on SV

• The model will start sooner, near the beginning of the GFS operational
  • The model will end later, near about days 5-6 on the European operational

That's what I understood. If the euro guidance keeps coming in earlier and earlier with the upgrades they do...it's going to make the GEFS irrelevant.