Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September 2020 Discussion

moneypitmike

1 minute ago, kdxken said:

Isn't that pretty much par for the course with those things?

They can run hot and cold (no pun intended)...sometimes they are nailing it for a couple months in a row but then sometimes they are just clueless. Right now they seem to be clueless. 

Its also harder in general during the warmer season for models to perform consistently well. Their verification scores are higher in cold season. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

They can run hot and cold (no pun intended)...sometimes they are nailing it for a couple months in a row but then sometimes they are just clueless. Right now they seem to be clueless. 

Its also harder in general during the warmer season for models to perform consistently well. Their verification scores are higher in cold season. 

That’s surprising to me... I’d think the wave lengths are more stable in the warm season.  I’m not sure if I know what I mean, ha, but just seems like summer patterns like WAR are more stable week to week than cold season when it seems like you seem to be alternating trough/ridging much more frequently.

Looks like Ryan Maue is the new chief scientist at NOAA per a White House appointment... that guys moving up (yes it’s the Washington Post, it’s political, but it’s the only place I can find it):

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/09/21/noaa-chief-scientist-maue/%3foutputType=amp

Maybe he can bring his graphics with him to NOAA, ha.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The noaa model site is getting renamed Models and Guidance Analyses (MAGA).

Does this mean we’re getting weathermodels.com graphics on the MAG site? Maybe he’ll block data access to wxbell? :scooter:

Get every American to pay an additional half a penny annually to the federal govt for ECMWF data for all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, tamarack said:

Armpit of the East?  (Our affectionate name for Balamer when I was at Hopkins in the '60s - fits both the climate and its position on Chesapeake.  Perhaps fitting for other reasons as well.)

I like it.  It does have some charm and a lot going for it.  Like many places it does have some challenges.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Looks like Ryan Maue is the new chief scientist at NOAA per a White House appointment... that guys moving up (yes it’s the Washington Post, it’s political, but it’s the only place I can find it):

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/09/21/noaa-chief-scientist-maue/%3foutputType=amp

Maybe he can bring his graphics with him to NOAA, ha.

He’s an R