Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September 2020 Discussion

moneypitmike

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Haha, so does that technically count as my obs since it is on my property? A good way to game the weenie system. 

I don’t know if you remember the old poster Logan11, I feel like he used to give a variety of obs from his property... in the woods, at the edge of the field, in the field, and he had all sorts of different elevations lol.

I picture you selling your new house to move to the same elevation down the road but in a slightly more protected area... wife asks “Why are we moving only two miles away, we just got here?”  “We need to keep our snowfall but get a few more degrees colder at night when the stars are out.”

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

I don’t know if you remember the old poster Logan11, I feel like he used to give a variety of obs from his property... in the woods, at the edge of the field, in the field, and he had all sorts of different elevations lol.

I picture you selling your new house to move to the same elevation down the road but in a slightly more protected area... wife asks “Why are we moving only two miles away, we just got here?”  “We need to keep our snowfall but get a few more degrees colder at night when the stars are out.”

Yeah, I think I do remember him. I may need to get another wx station, with cellular service I guess so it can transmit from down in the woods by the road. LOL

Just now, PhineasC said:

Yeah, I think I do remember him. I may need to get another wx station, with cellular service I guess so it can transmit from down in the woods by the road. LOL

It would be very cool to watch, I have a fetish for those small micro-climate changes.  I don’t know how old your kids are but you could chalk it up to a fun science project, ha.  

Just now, powderfreak said:

It would be very cool to watch, I have a fetish for those small micro-climate changes.  I don’t know how old your kids are but you could chalk it up to a fun science project, ha.  

Definitely old enough for that, plus they are in Scouts and there is a weather merit badge that involves setting up a weather station, actually.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I don’t think I’ve once had the heat on in September. I also want my burner checked before I use it.

Funny you mention that Scott, I decided this afternoon to test the old heating system , it worked (only two zones for the house) smell of dust and stuff on the baseboards etc. Then shutdown, told the wife layer up, not going on in September....

12 minutes ago, 512high said:

Funny you mention that Scott, I decided this afternoon to test the old heating system , it worked (only two zones for the house) smell of dust and stuff on the baseboards etc. Then shutdown, told the wife layer up, not going on in September....

I had never really thought of it until you guys mentioned it here, but that’s the slight burning smell I get when I fire it up in the fall.  I always worried something was wrong lol.

I bumped my set point up to 62F for my wife, we might get it tonight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I don’t think I’ve once had the heat on in September. I also want my burner checked before I use it.

My burner actually went on this am. Thermostat still set at summer levels, row house, inner NYC, UHI and a warm ocean as my next door neighbor. How embarrassing is that? As always ....

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I was up wandering around today with the dog in the higher elevation rain forest.  Even without much rain in 3 weeks it still seemed as lush as ever.  Stein has trouble surviving up here.

I guess averaging 80" of precipitation a year will cause the thick moss blanket found up high.  Like walking on a carpet.

screenshot.jpg.5b4b87e22352fe2cb944a4a4321549c3.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, powderfreak said:

I was up wandering around today with the dog in the higher elevation rain forest.  Even without much rain in 3 weeks it still seemed as lush as ever. 

I guess averaging 80" of precipitation a year will cause the thick moss blanket found up high.

I had to dig a hole out in the woods today for one of the birds and under the decomposed leaf/wood litter it's still moist. The forest floor has an ability to withstand these occasional dry years. It's always lush and green out there...no fertilizer or water required.

Man made lawns are another story...

17 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I was up wandering around today with the dog in the higher elevation rain forest.  Even without much rain in 3 weeks it still seemed as lush as ever.  Stein has trouble surviving up here.

I guess averaging 80" of precipitation a year will cause the thick moss blanket found up high.  Like walking on a carpet.

Some snow over those stumps and that is a heck of a zipper turn line.

3 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Some snow over those stumps and that is a heck of a zipper turn line.

Yup, that's what I was checking out.  There are some cut lines in there, narrow ski width shots that seem to drop straight down.  It's steep in there, fun to wander around in.  The snow depth gets to like 8-10 feet in there during the solid winters.