Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
September 2020 Discussion

moneypitmike

4 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

All of us end up under .70. Insane 

I will say our river out back is at its lowest possible flow and about as low as I’ve ever seen it.  There’s enough spring fed on Mansfield to keep it moving slowly and if it never rained again it would stay like this... but it’s at the minimum.  You can see the sticks stuck in that downed tree that’s about 4 feet higher than current level as an example for what the “rainy period” flow is.

38D0647B-12AE-427C-AFBD-7B3A65F9B030.thumb.jpeg.36dd8764b68ed10ebdf6168501079834.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Super rural area. All joking aside, we’ll start seeing that happen more this weekend 

Yeah it is probably as ripe as it gets for brush fires.  Despite the summer rain, we are at like 1/3rd of an inch in past 3 weeks up here and ground cover/leaf litter is very dry...I can’t imagine what it’s like from you to Bob.

11 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah it is probably as ripe as it gets for brush fires.  Despite the summer rain, we are at like 1/3rd of an inch in past 3 weeks up here and ground cover/leaf litter is very dry...I can’t imagine what it’s like from you to Bob.

Start throwing in dry leaves coming down , low dews , wind and people camping and campfires etc 

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Definite hint of smoke in the air tonight here. Not sure if someone in the neighborhood is burning, but it’s been consistent for the hour I’ve been outside. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj254-CqfHrAhVCpFkKHe-KCcAQFjAIegQIBBAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wnpr.org%2Fpost%2Ffirefighters-work-contain-very-smoky-wildfire-windham&usg=AOvVaw0-lKTxHibiGunAEr0h4Znk

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I will say our river out back is at its lowest possible flow and about as love as I’ve ever seen it.  There’s enough spring fed on Mansfield to keep it moving slowly and if it never rained again it would stay like this... but it’s at the minimum.  You can see the sticks stuck in that downed tree that’s about 4 feet higher than current level for what the “rainy period” flow is.

38D0647B-12AE-427C-AFBD-7B3A65F9B030.thumb.jpeg.36dd8764b68ed10ebdf6168501079834.jpeg

Very similar to my river here. Funny thing is my well pressure overflow still spews water like always. I wonder what it would take to change the water supply at 750 ft deep. But I really don't want to find out. Let's plan on making up the qpf in the winter 

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Man.. huge story on news tonight. 70+ acre fire burning in Natchaug state forest in Windham . They say won’t be contained for months . We feared this 

Maybe when the California fires are contained they can bring the troops  to Wyndham. Hopefully they'll knock it down by Thanksgiving.

22 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I have a shallow dug well and it is holding up, but I worry about it. We have a lot of ground water here.

A dry start to autumn will get you edgy about water.  Definitely a uniquely dry intro to NNE for you. 
Late October and November topography enhanced synoptic rains will get your water well topped off. 

2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

A dry start to autumn will get you edgy about water.  Definitely a uniquely dry intro to NNE for you. 
Late October and November topography enhanced synoptic rains will get your water well topped off. 

Yeah, it's concerning. We talked to a well guy and he said most of the dug wells in NH have been replaced at this point after serious droughts over the years. He said if our dug well is still going at this point it must be pretty strong. But we are prepared to have a drilled well put in if needed.

There are areas on my property that are still mushy even in this drought so there must be springs nearby.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah, it's concerning. We talked to a well guy and he said most of the dug wells in NH have been replaced at this point after serious droughts over the years. He said if our dug well is still going at this point it must be pretty strong. But we are prepared to have a drilled well put in if needed.

There are areas on my property that are still mushy even in this drought so there must be springs nearby.

I'm surprised that someone built a house like that and then only had a dug well.  We had one when I was growing up. It went dry one summer, 84 or 85.  That truly sucked.

4 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I'm surprised that someone built a house like that and then only had a dug well.  We had one when I was growing up. It went dry one summer, 84 or 85.  That truly sucked.

The guy that built this house made some weird choices, and he was a bit of a local muckety-muck so he hired some of his buddies to handle certain things. The septic was never done correctly, for example. It was all done under the table and palms were greased for permits. But the dug well lasted this long so I guess it works OK. I was told there was a huge drought a few years back that wiped out most of the dug wells in NH, but ours survived.