Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September 2020 Discussion

moneypitmike

12 hours ago, dryslot said:

Never even considered Matthew brothers, A lot of great window mfgs out there, Could have went with Pella or Anderson's but they have slipped in quality over the years and folks still go with them because of name recognition.

We re-windowed with Andersen, price was competitive and they're working well, though only 4 years - so much better, unsurprisingly, than the 1975 originals (brand unknown.)

Low of 40 this morning - actually well before sunrise as we had a breeze by then.  Yesterday's 60/31 brought the month average back to a bit BN, will be very close to my average after tomorrow, then a 3-4 day dive.

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Dry September is fine by me. When it precipitates in September, things turn into a muddy, mushy mess. Wet, dead leaves pasted on everything and turning into a soup. Dry, clear, cool air is what I want. Later in October the windy rainstorms can start up, sure.

Yeah I’m with you 100%.  It hasn’t bothered me in the least, in fact it’s been great as every time we want to go hiking or work outside there’s been nothing to stop us.  Even October... let the precip start in November.  Unfortunately Ma Nature is in charge and what we want is useless, lol.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

2.27" since Aug 1.

1.94" here, with 0.15" this month.  My driest Sept is 2014 with 0.84".  Driest at the Farmington co-op is 0.53" in 1948.  (Driest I've experienced was October 1963.  NYC had 0.14" with 0.10" coming on the 31st, keeping that month from tying June 1949 for their driest since records began in 1869.  We had maybe a bit less in NNJ and the NJ governor totally closed the woods - even fishing from a boat was prohibited, sad because I knew the 80F temps would mean lots of action.)

3 hours ago, JakkelWx said:

New England is all steined all the time.

Smoke is now half way across the Atlantic.  Paulette seems to be sweeping it northeastward.  Still smoke coming across the Continental US.  Wonder if there is enough smoke that will circle the poleward regions to influence temperatures to a slight degree.  Don't know if it would be a net gain or departure.  Smoke lowers daytime temps as the sun is now lowering in angle but must increase nightime temperatures too?

Okay,  gotta ask.  What is with all the Dave Epstein jokes?   Many years ago I was invited to go to the movies with some friends and he was there.  I'll reserve judgement on the experience but needless to say I remember it all these years later.

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

2.27" since Aug 1.

Same here.

39 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I’m with you 100%.  It hasn’t bothered me in the least, in fact it’s been great as every time we want to go hiking or work outside there’s been nothing to stop us.  Even October... let the precip start in November.  Unfortunately Ma Nature is in charge and what we want is useless, lol.

While I would typically agree, the dry pattern has persisted now for what will amount to 3 months thru the end of September.  Less than 3.50" since July 1st.  I'll be 8.50" below normal on precip for the 3 months and 10.6" below normal for the year.  This may be the driest year since TAN ASOS went operational in 1997.  I'm tired of it.

19 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Okay,  gotta ask.  What is with all the Dave Epstein jokes?

You can ask DIT for that. I just kinda caught on after seeing stein being mentioned in the activity feed a lot. I'm guessing the joke stems from Dave Epstein's love for dry weather

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Smoke is now half way across the Atlantic.  Paulette seems to be sweeping it northeastward.  Still smoke coming across the Continental US.  Wonder if there is enough smoke that will circle the poleward regions to influence temperatures to a slight degree.  Don't know if it would be a net gain or departure.  Smoke lowers daytime temps as the sun is now lowering in angle but must increase nightime temperatures too?

Okay,  gotta ask.  What is with all the Dave Epstein jokes?   Many years ago I was invited to go to the movies with some friends and he was there.  I'll reserve judgement on the experience but needless to say I remember it all these years later.

I think it relates to a drought. Like if you don’t get rain, you are being Epstein’d. It’s corny but that’s how it rolls around here. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Given how little precip we’ve had this month, bet you could get a brush fire going today with the breeze.  Probably won’t try though, lol.

I was just thinking that, it is warm and windy here this afternoon.  The streams that feed the Green River literally only have 3 or 4 inches of water in them.