Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
September 2020 Discussion

moneypitmike

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Ha, on Boston craigslist with the VT unemployment numbers but struggling to hire.  My wife manages the spa and tennis centers there.  Nice property.

57/40 at MVL.  Clear skies.  I like a low of 36-37F with dense fog here.  Fog will save us a frost but just above the fog layer will frost, maybe 900-1000ft.

What's it pay? Lol

Just now, dendrite said:

Huh? If you have reduced incoming shortwave rad and little effect on outgoing longwave rad how is there no sfc cooling?

http://climate.envsci.rutgers.edu/pdf/RobockForestFire91JD02043.pdf

Agree. If it limits warmth during the day and doesn’t affect cooling at night, that’s definitely a net cooling effect. 

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Huh? If you have reduced incoming shortwave rad and little effect on outgoing longwave rad how is there no sfc cooling?

http://climate.envsci.rutgers.edu/pdf/RobockForestFire91JD02043.pdf

If soot gets into the high trop and stratosphere, it can have a net warming effect in the mid trop. So overall it may be a slight warming effect while keeping surface inverted with cooler than expected temps. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

If soot gets into the high trop and stratosphere, it can have a net warming effect in the mid trop. So overall it may be a slight warming effect while keeping surface inverted with cooler than expected temps. 

Ok...so we’re on the same page I think. Warming the upper levels and cooling the sfc. Poor Wizzy and his lapse rates.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Ok...so we’re on the same page I think. Warming the upper levels and cooling the sfc. Poor Wizzy and his lapse rates.

Yeah radiative budget was positive, but that was more because of warming in upper levels. Opposite effect from volcanoes.

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1029/2019GL082360

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yep. Enjoy your fake cold down there. ;) 

Ha yup, into the 30s at BML and HIE near you, too.  Looks like Alex is 37F too.  We are at 39F and the drop has really slowed down.  I’m thinking 36-37F locally.  We may mist/fog soon.

SLK in the Adirondacks down to 32/28 already at 11pm.  That’s crazy.  Like frozen bird bath in the morning cold there.