Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September 2020 Discussion

moneypitmike

12 hours ago, Hoth said:

I have a neighbor who is absolutely obsessed with her lawn. Mows two or three times a week to keep it at exactly the right length. All her mowing fried the lawn by mid July and she was desperately running sprinklers all day for weeks to try to revive it.

Yup, a few of those in our hood as well and their lawns are crispy. Kept mine at ~4" all summer, it looked shaggy but it definitely saved it. No rain for a week, go out and the ground is still damp. Just acting like a canopy. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Speaking of mowing, hats off to the guys who weed-wack the ski trails up here that are too steep to mow with a tractor.  Just start at the top and walk down cutting everything to the same length.

CA7F8310-A8F3-4042-BB18-C9CEC70165E6.thumb.jpeg.7015ee6d3a92616ebe5d54dde2aa0fd3.jpeg

Makes me feel for the people clearing 5 years worth of brush (so brush saw not weedwhacker) from the trails so Saddleback can reopen in December. 

14 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I meant a red flag warning/ fire danger like they issued. Seems almost impossible except this year with the severity of the drought 

Too young for the early '60s.  In 1963 a town just north of my NNJ hometown had a forest fire start in late September that burned into November.  It was only 2-3 miles north of the HS I attended and we could see smoke erupting from the hot spots out of the north-facing windows.  Because of the rocky terrain and thick growth, fire would travel under the rockpiles burning duff and roots, such that a firefighter might be putting water to the fire in front only to have the bush behind erupt into flame.  Finally quenched by a 4" rain a week into November; the storm also kept '63 from setting a new record at NYC for driest year, dropping it to 3rd place.  (Now 5th, as '64 broke the record and '65 had over 6" less than '64.)

Last evening's 0.02" builds September precip to 0.15".

32 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Too young for the early '60s.  In 1963 a town just north of my NNJ hometown had a forest fire start in late September that burned into November.  It was only 2-3 miles north of the HS I attended and we could see smoke erupting from the hot spots out of the north-facing windows.  Because of the rocky terrain and thick growth, fire would travel under the rockpiles burning duff and roots, such that a firefighter might be putting water to the fire in front only to have the bush behind erupt into flame.  Finally quenched by a 4" rain a week into November; the storm also kept '63 from setting a new record at NYC for driest year, dropping it to 3rd place.  (Now 5th, as '64 broke the record and '65 had over 6" less than '64.)

Last evening's 0.02" builds September precip to 0.15".

I think that’s going to happen in N CT this month 

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

Freeze warning here. We will see if we get there. Should get the leaf colors really rolling, though.

Color is really starting to pop, It will end many's garden season as well after tonight in your area and others, We wait a little longer here, My avg for first frost has been around 09/28.

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Freeze warning here. We will see if we get there. Should get the leaf colors really rolling, though.

Ideally it will stay slightly above freezing or just barely touch it.....a hard freeze is usually not great for the colors as it kills the sugars that produce the red pigments. Cold (but not freezing) temps are ideal. Those nights in the mid 30s to low 40s really seem to make the reds pop. The freeze won't affect the yellows/lighter oranges too much, but a hard freeze can risk dropping the leaves a bit quicker also shortening the foliage season.

• Like 1

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Ideally it will stay slightly above freezing or just barely touch it.....a hard freeze is usually not great for the colors as it kills the sugars that produce the red pigments. Cold (but not freezing) temps are ideal. The freeze won't affect the yellows/lighter oranges too much, but a hard freeze can risk dropping the leaves a bit quicker also shortening the foliage season.

Yeah, well I will probably hit like 34/33 whereas Alex will somehow manage 27. LOL

• Like 1