Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September 2020 Discussion

moneypitmike

11 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
6 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:
The woods and hillsides around here are filled with these early changing leaves.. mainly this species and the maples due to stress. I’ve never seen these things go so early. They actually stated during the last week of August. Anyone know what type of tree? 
ylSofIi.jpg&key=04851d4ba8af738f555cdd331fafe3e7e48e74e2126e5ebd3066b24181d395f0

United we stand with dead lawns

That’s the first time in 15 years here that’s scorched out from Stein. I had to reseed large areas out front today from Steins work . Soul, seed and now daily watering with no rain in sight. MPM and Will think there no drought and it’s funny. When people’s 50foot + wells are drying up.. it’s a serious problem 

iFBWxgA.jpg

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You’ll do fine. Mild winters mean you and Alex score. SNE is Foc’d. I’ve never seen We at EMasswx so down on a winter this early 

Count me out for cutters. While we've had overall decent amounts of snow, I feel like we've seen a ton of those in the past 2 years. Maybe we could arrange for 4 months of moist N-NW winds? :lol:

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Here’s what it used to look like. Stein crushed it this summer. It kills me 

TaO6VE9.jpg

Yeah that definitely looks like Augusta National golf course, but try again next year.  It sucks but out of our control.  Hopefully we don’t develop a pattern but seems every summer there are drought concerns.  

21 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Neighbor's dog dig it up? I mean wth is that?

What? I know there’s a few of you guys that don’t care about your lawns , don’t fertilize etc .. and it’s just various weeds you have. That’s totally fine and to each their own. But I work my tail off to have a nice lawn and to Have significant portions of it ruined by a serious drought in one summer really blows. The reseeding as bad it all looks now.. give me a couple weeks to a month of watering daily and less sun angle/ hours and I’ll get it looking decent again .  I need to also drop some fertilizer, but can’t until I know some rain is coming and that looks very unlikely this week at least.

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

42 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

What? I know there’s a few of you guys that don’t care about your lawns , don’t fertilize etc .. and it’s just various weeds you have. That’s totally fine and to each their own. But I work my tail off to have a nice lawn and to Have significant portions of it ruined by a serious drought in one summer really blows. The reseeding as bad it all looks now.. give me a couple weeks to a month of watering daily and less sun angle/ hours and I’ll get it looking decent again .  I need to also drop some fertilizer, but can’t until I know some rain is coming and that looks very unlikely this week at least.

Thoughts and prayers. idk...it just looks like Ginxy brought some pooches over and they hid some bones out front and dropped a couple of landmines.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

This is ORH. Definitely a little warmer in the past than CON but clearly still pulling teeth to go below avg in September these days. It’s actually amazing how consistently chilly the 1980s and first half 1990s were in September. Kind of fits my childhood memories at least  

16A877DC-33BD-49A4-8DAB-754B66BA2CDE.thumb.png.09857cb4288939be41d8837bb9eacbe5.png

CON is probably losing their ability to radiate too in addition to just straight AGW. Im not all that aware of how any developments or land use near the airport has gone over the past couple decades. 

My wife grew up here (SVT) and has really no interest in weather or really any sense of climate norms, but the one anecdotal thing she always mentions is how warm it always is around apple picking season (mid- late Sept) now and how when she was kid in the 1980s she recalls wearing fleeces and jackets. Recently it seems like its always shorts and tees and swarming yellow jackets with side dish of back sweat.

Just now, backedgeapproaching said:

My wife grew up here (SVT) and has really no interest in weather or really any sense of climate norms, but the one anecdotal thing she always mentions is how warm it always is around apple picking season (mid- late Sept) now and how when she was kid in the 1980s she recalls wearing fleeces and jackets. Recently it seems like its always shorts and tees and swarming yellow jackets with side dish of back sweat.

Ha it’s true... I also have these memories as a kid of apple picking in legit fall weather and I’m sure it’s selective memory but the past decade it seems like you have the A/C on in the car when you go to get cider donuts and apples :lol:.

9 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I have never managed to muster the energy to care about my lawn that much. I don't see any reason to expend precious brain power and energy worrying about tending grass. But everyone needs a hobby, I guess.

It’s definitely a first world problem... I don’t think any other country cares about lawns like Americans do.  I remember a J1 visa student when I worked at Topnotch Resort ask why we waste so much land on grass and shouldn’t we have gardens instead of lawns?  No sir, we are prosperous enough that where other cultures grow their food, we spend several hours out of our busy lives making sure these grass blades are all uniform in height and dark green in color :lol:.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha it’s true... I also have these memories as a kid of apple picking in legit fall weather and I’m sure it’s selective memory but the past decade it seems like you have the A/C on in the car when you go to get cider donuts and apples :lol:.

I think some of that is nostalgia glasses and perhaps remembering a few memorable times you went apple picking and it was super cold. 

My old man swears it snowed non-stop in Baltimore "back in my day" for example. Most dads have similar memories, I'd wager.

Just now, PhineasC said:

I think some of that is nostalgia glasses and perhaps remembering a few memorable times you went apple picking and it was super cold. 

My old man swears it snowed non-stop in Baltimore "back in my day" for example. Most dads have similar memories, I'd wager.

Oh for sure.  The mind remembers what it wants to.  

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

It’s definitely a first world problem... I don’t think any other country cares about lawns like Americans do.  I remember a J1 visa student when I worked at Topnotch Resort ask why we waste so much land on grass and shouldn’t we have gardens instead of lawns?  No sir, we are prosperous enough that where other cultures grow their food, we spend several hours out of our busy lives making sure these grass blades are all uniform in height and dark green in color :lol:.

I'm kinda biased because one of my neighbors in MD is a total lawn Nazi freak. He mows constantly. It's impossible to sit outside on the 4 days a week he mows because his routine (use tractor, stop to clean the blade, mow some more, use pushmower, stop to clean the blade, mow some more, use weed whacker, use blower) goes from the early afternoon to late evening. It doesn't need to be done that often, he just has nothing else to do, I guess. It does look perfect, like a putting green. Not sure I see the point, seems like a huge waste of gas and precious life years, but whatever. Just wish it was quieter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That’s the first time in 15 years here that’s scorched out from Stein. I had to reseed large areas out front today from Steins work . Soul, seed and now daily watering with no rain in sight. MPM and Will think there no drought and it’s funny. When people’s 50foot + wells are drying up.. it’s a serious problem 

iFBWxgA.jpg

Why re seed? I’d imagine it’ll just come back with some rain and cooler temps?? Doesn’t grass mostly just go dormant, not flat out die?

Id imagine you have a well, how will you keep up with watering with all these wells going dry? I’d be pretty afraid of wasting my precious water on the lawn.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

This is ORH. Definitely a little warmer in the past than CON but clearly still pulling teeth to go below avg in September these days. It’s actually amazing how consistently chilly the 1980s and first half 1990s were in September. Kind of fits my childhood memories at least  

16A877DC-33BD-49A4-8DAB-754B66BA2CDE.thumb.png.09857cb4288939be41d8837bb9eacbe5.png

CON is probably losing their ability to radiate too in addition to just straight AGW. Im not all that aware of how any developments or land use near the airport has gone over the past couple decades. 

CON still has their moments where they radiate like crazy. They’re usually still up there as near the coldest in S NH on prime rad nights. I blame the dews. 
image.png

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

No, it's true. Look at some northeastern cities' October mean temperatures by decade. October means are up an average of 3 degrees since the '80s. These things likely run in cycles though. For example, a similar pattern existed in the BDL data from the 1910s through 1930s.

BDL                    BOS                   BTV                    CAR                   NYC                   ORH
-------------          -------------         -------------          -------------         -------------         -------------
2010s    54.5          2010s    56.6         2010s    51.4          2010s    45.7         2010s    59.2         2010s    51.8
2000s    52.3          2000s    54.3         2000s    48.5          2000s    43.8         2000s    57.0         2000s    50.4
1990s    52.5          1990s    54.7         1990s    48.5          1990s    43.1         1990s    57.7         1990s    50.1
1980s    51.2          1980s    53.6         1980s    47.5          1980s    42.8         1980s    57.0         1980s    49.5
1970s    52.1          1970s    54.2         1970s    47.4          1970s    42.7         1970s    56.9         1970s    49.4

9 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

iFBWxgA.jpg

It must kill you that the neighbors down the road looks better.  Does your house face south?

Even though our lawn never looked as good as yours, I know exactly how you feel.

40 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I am fine with my lawn. This was last week.  Little effort put in and it shows  Not the deep greens of Blizz’s but full sun with a dog   I mow it when I get scolded by the wife and fertilize whenever   Maybe every couple of years I throw down some Agway stuff

4C6E5C4B-F58E-4C7E-8774-8C478FA05F28.jpeg

Nice place Dave. 

• Like 1