Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September 2020 Discussion

moneypitmike

We take:

September around here used to be more of a transitional month into fall. It often would start on a warm note, but then turn fairly cool. Increasingly, the month is more like a fourth month of summer with many days well into the 70s and 80s. The nights are also a lot warmer than 30 or 40 years ago.

Since 1872, if you look at the top 20 Septembers you will find 10 of them in the past two decades.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/09/07/metro/keep-your-ac-unit-out-summer-isnt-over-yet/

22 minutes ago, kdxken said:

We take:

September around here used to be more of a transitional month into fall. It often would start on a warm note, but then turn fairly cool. Increasingly, the month is more like a fourth month of summer with many days well into the 70s and 80s. The nights are also a lot warmer than 30 or 40 years ago.

Since 1872, if you look at the top 20 Septembers you will find 10 of them in the past two decades.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/09/07/metro/keep-your-ac-unit-out-summer-isnt-over-yet/

it's crazy how warm September has been the last couple of decades. You can see it in longer growing seasons and peak foliage being pushed later and later into the fall.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

it's crazy how warm September has been the last couple of decades. You can see it in longer growing seasons and peak foliage being pushed later and later into the fall.

It does seem like a summer month more often than not.  Be interesting to see the different averages if frosts/freezes are later or if that’s just imagined.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Some serious southerly flow going on today... wind is just cranking up here.  The dogs ears look like she’s got her head out of a moving car but she’s standing still, lol.  Warm air advection in full swing.

15557066-13DB-4B55-8F5B-D71E501F7AB6.thumb.jpeg.ae5de067c644b8662dc308c9ea164a5e.jpeg

Just wondering, what elevation was that picture taken at? Awesome shot

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Ugh. Summer is over. Hell commences on 9/16. We pray.......I mean PRAY the winter is snowy. Absolutely not looking forward to this school year.

Toughest year of my professional life coming up. The emails from parents are already flying and we haven’t even started yet...

Anyway, today was a great day to spend outdoors.  Hiked the local bump, then took a final plunge into the pool.  Maybe one next weekend...68F pool temp

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It does seem like a summer month more often than not.  Be interesting to see the different averages if frosts/freezes are later or if that’s just imagined.

They are later. Here are the Connecticut average first frost dates based on the 1971-2000 and 1981-2010 normals to give you an idea of how much they've moved.

ID     Station                  1971-2000   1981-2010   Change(days)								
------ ------------------------ ---------   ---------   ------------								
BDR    BRIDGEPORT SIKORSKY AP       10/18       10/21             3								
BRLC3  BURLINGTON                    9/28       10/03             5								
DANC3  DANBURY                       9/26       10/04             8								
FVLC3  FALLS VILLAGE                 9/16        9/23             7								
GTNC3  GROTON                       10/08       10/17             9								
BDL    HARTFORD                      9/30       10/04             4								
MHLC3  MANSFIELD HOLLOW LAKE         9/20        9/24             4								
NFKC3  NORFOLK 2 SW                  9/22        9/29             7								
NRWC3  NORWICH PUB UTIL PLT          9/29       10/04             5								
NWPC3  SHEPAUG DAM                   9/28        9/26            -2								
STFC3  STAMFORD 5 N                 10/01       10/06             5								
STRC3  STORRS                       10/02       10/06             4								
WTPC3  WEST THOMPSON LAKE            9/19        9/26             7								

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Toughest year of my professional life coming up. The emails from parents are already flying and we haven’t even started yet...

Anyway, today was a great day to spend outdoors.  Hiked the local bump, then took a final plunge into the pool.  Maybe one next weekend...68F pool temp

Good luck man. I know it’s going to be a challenge. Teachers aren’t getting the respect they deserve in this. I feel ya.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The 60s and 70s had some really cool summers and autumns. I’m sure the 2001-2030 normals will be terrible. CON had quite a few mid Sep freezes in the 90s.

Pulling teeth to get below normal September at CON these days...

CDF4108A-87A4-4D56-B434-087C1A383300.png

This is ORH. Definitely a little warmer in the past than CON but clearly still pulling teeth to go below avg in September these days. It’s actually amazing how consistently chilly the 1980s and first half 1990s were in September. Kind of fits my childhood memories at least  

16A877DC-33BD-49A4-8DAB-754B66BA2CDE.thumb.png.09857cb4288939be41d8837bb9eacbe5.png

CON is probably losing their ability to radiate too in addition to just straight AGW. Im not all that aware of how any developments or land use near the airport has gone over the past couple decades. 

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Every single sign points to mild, dry winter. Good luck on that one 

That might be a good thing.  Tip can probably analyze why, but it’s always better to go in an underdog and win, then it is to go in a heavy favorite and lose.  I feel like when those seasonal models look like an epic gangbusters winter, it’s only a recipe for disappointment. 

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That might be a good thing.  Tip can probably analyze why, but it’s always better to go in an underdog and win, then it is to go in a heavy favorite and lose.  I feel like when those seasonal models look like an epic gangbusters winter, it’s only a recipe for disappointment. 

You’ll do fine. Mild winters mean you and Alex score. SNE is Foc’d. I’ve never seen We at EMasswx so down on a winter this early 

25 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You’ll do fine. Mild winters mean you and Alex score. SNE is Foc’d. I’ve never seen We at EMasswx so down on a winter this early 

It just seems early to go totally down on winter... as you well know, all you need is stuff to align for 4-6 weeks of fun and you can see a snow year of yore.  January 2011 type month can make or break a winter.

5 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

So in addition to the beefalo that's been on the loose for the last couple of weeks, now there is an alligator to worry about?