Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September 2020 Discussion

moneypitmike

4 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

I found a Chicken of the Woods mushroom about the size of a baseball glove growing on a piece of bark near the garden today. Pretty cool, put it up on a stump for harvest. The are excellent in tomato sauce with hot peppers.

I really really hope you never have any serious damage to your house , you have been lucky to only have twigs fall.

God stuff.

7 hours ago, tamarack said:

As a grandfather, I still look back to 1966 when I lived in NNJ.  That met summer held NYC's heat and drought records for 44 years until 2010 came in a fraction warmer.  Still holds the drought record, also tied with 1953 for most 100+ (4) though the earlier year's 4th triple came in met fall.  Since I spent that summer working between counter and grill at Curtis-Wright's summer resort, that additional heat just accentuated the extremes that season.  On Sunday, July 3 NYC was 103 and LGA 107 and we had the biggest crowd through the gate of any day in my 2 summers there.  The coil thermometer at the end of the counter was well beyond 120, the highest number on its face, and I worked a lot closer to grill and fryers than was that instrument.  It was so far beyond anything in my NNE experience that the memory is emblazoned on my brain.  :o

I went to asbury park on 7/3/66  Sand was ridiculously hot....loved it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I don’t understand why you think there’s no serious drought? I mean are you serious or just trying to be funny? It’s one of the worst we’ ve had since the 60’s

It’s because the “drought” isn’t a big deal up here. It’s rained plenty in the pike region  the last month. Doesn’t take much to wipe out a D1 scenario here.

This is nothing like the 1960s droughts because those were longer term. Several very dry years in a row. 

• Like 3

Yeah that’s why I laugh as well... what’s the true impact?  Suburban lawns went brown?

I still laugh at a Ginxy comment from a while back saying something along the lines of “Have you ever heard of an invention called a hose?”

I haven’t heard one person mention the drought anywhere outside this forum.  My parents in Woodstock had a fine garden...said the lawn was hurting but shocker, they watered the garden and got a lot of produce during one of the most severe droughts ever in NCT.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

I found a Chicken of the Woods mushroom about the size of a baseball glove growing on a piece of bark near the garden today. Pretty cool, put it up on a stump for harvest. The are excellent in tomato sauce with hot peppers.

I really really hope you never have any serious damage to your house , you have been lucky to only have twigs fall.

It’s a skill to recognize edible mushrooms. I remember, as a boy, older relatives going to, still existing, undeveloped land areas in the boroughs  to harvest edible greens and mushrooms. You never guessed with a mushroom, being wrong and ingesting the error could be deadly.. I guess under the right conditions you might never starve with a good tract of uncultivated land. As always ....

• Like 1

Yeah that’s why I laugh as well... what’s the true impact?  Suburban lawns went brown?
I still laugh at a Ginxy comment from a while back saying something along the lines of “Have you ever heard of an invention called a hose?”
I haven’t heard one person mention the drought anywhere outside this forum.  My parents in Woodstock had a fine garden...said the lawn was hurting but shocker, they watered the garden and got a lot of produce during one of the most severe droughts ever in NCT.
Our town was on a full outside watering ban for most of the summer. Not supposed to water garden or anything. Many did not adhere to it, but the town threatened to cut off service to offenders.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

someone spent thousands on a lawn only to have it wither, hey seasons of wither should be Kevs theme song. Fantastic song by the way.

11 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I don’t understand why you think there’s no serious drought? I mean are you serious or just trying to be funny? It’s one of the worst we’ ve had since the 60’s

LOL!

September 1, 2020

RESERVOIR LEVELS: The Quabbin Reservoir, the largest water supply source for 47 communities in the Metro Boston area, is currently at 92.7% of its 412 billion-gallon maximum capacity. The 65 billion-gallon Wachusett Reservoir is 91.1% full.

Detailed Data and Archives

CONDITIONS STATUS: According to the MWRA's Drought Management Plan, the water system is currently listed in a Normal Status (see graph below).

6 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

LOL!

September 1, 2020

RESERVOIR LEVELS: The Quabbin Reservoir, the largest water supply source for 47 communities in the Metro Boston area, is currently at 92.7% of its 412 billion-gallon maximum capacity. The 65 billion-gallon Wachusett Reservoir is 91.1% full.

CONDITIONS STATUS: According to the MWRA's Drought Management Plan, the water system is currently listed in a Normal Status (see graph below).

Sorry but we’ll take the official govt agency over some local old timer in a rocker giving Quabbin updates and a log splitter using mushrooms .t’s as bad as we’ve ever seen it . It’s right here . No arguments 

mG63fMA.png

5 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

LOL!

September 1, 2020

Hoped to find records back thru 1965.  If they're available, I could not find them.  Quabbin probably hit their lowest in August 1966.

10 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

It’s because the “drought” isn’t a big deal up here. It’s rained plenty in the pike region  the last month. Doesn’t take much to wipe out a D1 scenario here.

This is nothing like the 1960s droughts because those were longer term. Several very dry years in a row. 

I feel like this is something we go through every summer...especially the past few years and especially if the spring was a bit on the drier side. During the summer months the majority of our precipitation comes from convection which obviously is going to be more spotty in nature. Perhaps there will be some occurrences where we get widespread convection and precipitation. Obviously this summer that didn't happen so naturally things are going to be drier. 

Are we in a drought...sure short-term we are but the long-term picture I don't think it indicates that...maybe locally some areas are worse off. But this is far from serious drought. Now if we went through the fall and things remained dry...well perhaps the pictures changes a bit but just looking at the pattern moving forward looks like we'll see plenty of rain chances upcoming. 

• Like 3