Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
September 2020 Discussion

moneypitmike

25 minutes ago, tamarack said:

As a grandfather, I still look back to 1966 when I lived in NNJ.  That met summer held NYC's heat and drought records for 44 years until 2010 came in a fraction warmer.  Still holds the drought record, also tied with 1953 for most 100+ (4) though the earlier year's 4th triple came in met fall.  Since I spent that summer working between counter and grill at Curtis-Wright's summer resort, that additional heat just accentuated the extremes that season.  On Sunday, July 3 NYC was 103 and LGA 107 and we had the biggest crowd through the gate of any day in my 2 summers there.  The coil thermometer at the end of the counter was well beyond 120, the highest number on its face, and I worked a lot closer to grill and fryers than was that instrument.  It was so far beyond anything in my NNE experience that the memory is emblazoned on my brain.  :o

That’s a Yore!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

The great CT grid collapser of 2020.  Maybe Steve can talk about a piece of bark that ripped by him during that storm. 

I found a Chicken of the Woods mushroom about the size of a baseball glove growing on a piece of bark near the garden today. Pretty cool, put it up on a stump for harvest. The are excellent in tomato sauce with hot peppers.

I really really hope you never have any serious damage to your house , you have been lucky to only have twigs fall.

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Euro double downs, 90 Labor Day, 32 next with a foot of snow. Now that’s an official end to summer

26FB86E9-EEDD-488C-B073-5FC5D2998784.png

I really can’t even process that.

I’ll have to look up April 2000 at ALB (I think that’s the year)...I remember shorts and t-shirts playing soccer in maybe 70F on a Saturday, then we got 10-14” in the area on Sunday.  But 90F to that is incredible.

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Fricken dead stressed, salted, wind throw leaves everywhere. Fall colors are gonna suck 

I read an article this  week that says our colors should be great this year. It said drought helps them change early.. which is happening.. and that it also makes them linger much longer. Pretty much goes against everything you ever see when you’re in such a nasty drought . I agree a terrible foliage season enroute 

28 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I read an article this  week that says our colors should be great this year. It said drought helps them change early.. which is happening.. and that it also makes them linger much longer. Pretty much goes against everything you ever see when you’re in such a nasty drought . I agree a terrible foliage season enroute 

With all this drought rain the mushrooms are going nuts.

mush.jpg

3 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

I found a Chicken of the Woods mushroom about the size of a baseball glove growing on a piece of bark near the garden today. Pretty cool, put it up on a stump for harvest. The are excellent in tomato sauce with hot peppers.

I really really hope you never have any serious damage to your house , you have been lucky to only have twigs fall.

Should help with the drought.

mushrooms. In forests across the world, Earth’s decomposers are helping seed clouds and promote rainstorms.that’s the conclusion of a study published this week in PLOS ONE, which adds a fascinating layer of nuance to the connection between fungi and rainstorms. Rain, as we know, stimulates mushroom growth, eventually leading to fully-fruited mushrooms that release spores. Once airborne, these spores, much like salt and dust particles, can act as cloud condensation nuclei — surfaces on which water vapor condenses, eventually forming rain.

“We can watch big water droplets grow as vapor condenses on [the mushroom spore’s] surface,” study co-author Nicholas Money of Miami University told Discovery News. “Nothing else works like this in nature.”

https://gizmodo.com/the-way-that-mushrooms-bring-the-rain-will-astound-you-1739453857