Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The "Double Trouble" Banter Thread

Windspeed

1 hour ago, Rjay said:

Wish you could see the hidden posts...

You should create an annual digest for entertainment purposes.

I remember while living in the ski areas of Colorado during the 80's and 90's, we'd get a yearly digest of snow avalanche accidents we'd keep in the bathroom for reading.

"On such and such date, two off-duty ski patrol (Steamboat/Vail/Arapaho Basin, etc.) employees took a few friends into off-limit areas to ski fresh powder after a storm when there was a high avalanche warning. One experienced skier went down first without causing an avalanche and radioed to the others that is was a "gnarly ass run" and they should go for it!"

Reading hidden posts might be as interesting, and with no way to post or reply can keep us entertained for a day thinking of what we "would" say...

54 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

SandySurvivor was a legend on this board, lol I think SS even compared Sandy to tornadoes and other disasters any chance possible.

My regret with Sandy is that I didn't get snow. We were so close to cold d enough but just didn't get there. Honestly, we barely got any wind here either. It was a pretty huge snoozer here.

6 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

My regret with Sandy is that I didn't get snow. We were so close to cold d enough but just didn't get there. Honestly, we barely got any wind here either. It was a pretty huge snoozer here.

We in Florida figured that once Sandy missed us, it would not be a bother to anyone...

image.png.b5154643ce62a5150accc454479c5580.png

If I go live on Periscope in this Laura right now, how many viewers do you think I'll have?

Wind is kicking up decent and I'm fairly sure I'm a better actor than that Mike Slidell from TWC (3 years of drama about to pay off).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Another thing that makes me hate Sandy is the way it affected Halloween. The storm hit and cancelled almost all Halloween plans, trick or treating for kids, haunted houses, parties, ect for most of the east coast and even out here in Ohio.

Ever since then, if it so much as drizzles on Halloween, some cities "cancel" it. Sandy started that crap. 2012. CRAP year.

10 minutes ago, Floydbuster said:

Another thing that makes me hate Sandy is the way it affected Halloween. The storm hit and cancelled almost all Halloween plans, trick or treating for kids, haunted houses, parties, ect for most of the east coast and even out here in Ohio.

Ever since then, if it so much as drizzles on Halloween, some cities "cancel" it. Sandy started that crap. 2012. CRAP year.

You're going to be unhappy this year, I am guessing.

1 hour ago, Prospero said:

We in Florida figured that once Sandy missed us, it would not be a bother to anyone...

image.png.b5154643ce62a5150accc454479c5580.png

Wow. Jamaica is taking a beating from Sandy right now. I wonder if 5 days from now, Sandy does the unthinkable and hooks hard left into the New Jersey coast?

1 hour ago, Floydbuster said:

It gave the mountains in West Virginia nearly 3 feet of snow... ruined it in the best way possible for the people there...

I always look back at hurricane seasons and wonder which ones were "memorable" to me personally.

2004 was amazing. Like watching "The Godfather".

2005 was unimaginable. Like watching "The Godfather Part II".

2006 sucked. 

2007 gets glossed over, but I actually thought it was quite memorable. Dean and Felix were monsters in August and September. 

2008 was amazing. On par with 2004. Bertha and Dolly in July, Gustav in August, Ike in September, Omar in October, Paloma in November. Doesn't get the credit it deserves because the landfalls were underwhelming.

2009 sucked.

Then we had three years in a row (2010,2011,2012) which were EXTREMELY active...but I thought sucked. Hurricane Igor was retired in 2010 and I barely remember tracking it. Hurricane Irene in 2011 was exciting to track for about 2 hours. You already heard my 2012 thoughts on Sandy not to mention vertically challenged Isaac. 

Then after those three crazy but also crappy years...we had silent seasons. 2013 was the quietest since 1968. 2014 I don't even remember. 2015 had Joaquin but that was an oddity and later in the year. 2016 had Matthew but other than that, not too memorable.

So, basically, with the exception of 2008, we had about six slow boring hurricane seasons, and then four busier but not that impressive seasons. JB referred to 2010 as the "gentle giant".

2017 felt VERY much like 2004. 2018 was made memorable by Florence and Michael. 2019, Dorian was pretty remarkable despite an otherwise mellow year.

2020 feels alot like 2004/2005/2008/2017. Many storms, many landfalls, Memorable. 

12 minutes ago, Floydbuster said:

I always look back at hurricane seasons and wonder which ones were "memorable" to me personally.

2004 was amazing. Like watching "The Godfather".

2005 was unimaginable. Like watching "The Godfather Part II".

2006 sucked. 

2007 gets glossed over, but I actually thought it was quite memorable. Dean and Felix were monsters in August and September. 

2008 was amazing. On par with 2004. Bertha and Dolly in July, Gustav in August, Ike in September, Omar in October, Paloma in November. Doesn't get the credit it deserves because the landfalls were underwhelming.

2009 sucked.

Then we had three years in a row (2010,2011,2012) which were EXTREMELY active...but I thought sucked. Hurricane Igor was retired in 2010 and I barely remember tracking it. Hurricane Irene in 2011 was exciting to track for about 2 hours. You already heard my 2012 thoughts on Sandy not to mention vertically challenged Isaac. 

Then after those three crazy but also crappy years...we had silent seasons. 2013 was the quietest since 1968. 2014 I don't even remember. 2015 had Joaquin but that was an oddity and later in the year. 2016 had Matthew but other than that, not too memorable.

So, basically, with the exception of 2008, we had about six slow boring hurricane seasons, and then four busier but not that impressive seasons. JB referred to 2010 as the "gentle giant".

2017 felt VERY much like 2004. 2018 was made memorable by Florence and Michael. 2019, Dorian was pretty remarkable despite an otherwise mellow year.

2020 feels alot like 2004/2005/2008/2017. Many storms, many landfalls, Memorable. 

2003 was good in a low key way too...fabian, isabel, juan

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, the ghost of leroy said:

2003 was good in a low key way too...fabian, isabel, juan

Yeah. I have a really powerful memory. Not a 100% photographic memory, but good enough to where I remember trivial things.

I remember in 2001 I was 13 years old and ran to my father and said "Michelle's pressure plummeted all day" and he was like "Oh my God, who is Michelle?" and when I told him the hurricane he was like "You scared me, moron. I thought you were talking about a fu*king person!" :D

I remember staying home "sick" from school in 2002 for Hurricane Lili, expected to be a high-end Cat 4 into the mid-Louisiana coast. I was in Jr. High and basically took a day off. The storm weakened so fast, I remember watching Jeff Morrow on TWC in New Iberia with a 90 mph gust. I slept the rest of the day until the afternoon. 

2003 was decent. I remember watching Erika race across the Gulf and that was around the time of the 2003 Blackout. I recall our TV always being on The Weather Channel or the Food Network to watch Emeril during the Summer of 2003.

I know I felt like crap during Hurricane Florence, had a bad cough and sore throat. I had a bad tooth pulled October 8th that year, two days before Cat 5 Michael, which coincidentally struck 72 hrs before my 30th birthday, and shares my name.