Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The "Double Trouble" Banter Thread

Windspeed

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

The he/she thing annoys me too.  Probably not enough to get into a debate about it.  It is what it is.

Was very surprised to see a Moderator jump in that one. But I'll do my best to not refer to one of Mother Earth's tropical storms as a female or male. Although "it" really sounds inappropriate to me. But hey, I'm not a pro met. Funny the silly things that drive people crazy. :)

Does that mean weather is not part of a global living entity that all interconnects of which we belong?

Side note: Is there a higher resolution NHC graphic than what they put on on their Home Page:

image.thumb.png.bcbffcd6a935b753ccb285daa00f2de7.png

I like to super-impose the current sats over it to see exactly where it is in relation to the guidance. Of course it is a bit distorted as well, so have to distort my sat screenshots to fit the land borders...

Just now, Prospero said:

Was very surprised to see a Moderator jump in that one. But I'll do my best to not refer to one of Mother Earth's tropical storms as a female or male. Although "it" really sounds inappropriate to me. But hey, I'm not a pro met. Funny the silly things that drive people crazy. :)

Does that mean weather is not part of a global living entity that all interconnects of which we belong?

Side note: Is there a higher resolution NHC graphic than what they put on on their Home Page:

I like to super-impose the current sats over it to see exactly where it is in relation to the guidance. Of course it is a bit distorted as well, so have to distort my sat screenshots to fit the land borders...

Why you calling it Mother Earth? You wanna get cancelled?

6 minutes ago, Prospero said:

what can I say, I'm the Liz Warren of amwx

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mappy said:

what can I say, I'm the Liz Warren of amwx

Love Liz Warren! LOL

Yea, now that IS off topic...

:)

Having tossed this concept around in the back of my mind all day, I can see where gender references could have potential for offending sexist comments when a storm causes problems.

• Like 1

Just now, Prospero said:

Love Liz Warren! LOL

Having tossed this concept around in the back of my mind all day, I can see where gender references could have potential for offending sexist comments when a storm causes problems.

And that it's not actually a person so assigning a pronoun to it when talking about it is kinda not ideal.  

3 minutes ago, Prospero said:

Love Liz Warren! LOL

ahhh, i didnt call it out because i thought it was sexist. 

Just now, the ghost of leroy said:

I call my dog a her all the time. You libs are nuts. 

lol well played

3 minutes ago, the ghost of leroy said:

I call my dog a her all the time. You libs are nuts.

I'm OK calling a storm he or she, always have. Now my choice of nouns to describe a he or she storm might push the limits. Like Hurricane Irma, oh Hurricane Michael for example...my thoughts should not be out on a public forum...

;)

3 minutes ago, the ghost of leroy said:

Please expand upon this. What key statistical insight am I missing when I say that COVID is a bigger threat to america than a hurricane?

Stop harassing him. You don’t do this when he gets his winter forecast from KA and that methodology is a secret