Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Late August Heat Wave

Chicago Storm

Just now, Hoosier said:

It is actually warmer now at ORD than a few hours ago, as the effects of the boundary that passed through start to wear off.

Likely will stay in the upper 70's tonight.

If not for the activity this morning, likely would have broke the record for today... Record is 74 (1959) and low was 72. Record high min temp for tomorrow is 77 (1973), which I'd guess the low ends up fairly close to that.

1 minute ago, Chicago Storm said:

Likely will stay in the upper 70's tonight.

If not for the activity this morning, likely would have broke the record for today... Record is 74 (1959) and low was 72. Record high min temp for tomorrow is 77 (1973), which I'd guess the low ends up fairly close to that.

I sort of dismissed the possibility of tonight being that warm, largely due to today not getting into the mid/upper 90s... but yeah, I wouldn't be all that surprised if it doesn't drop below the upper 70s overnight.  Warm airmass aloft and UHI and all.

As mentioned earlier, I am really bullish on tomorrow night's low.  

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I sort of dismissed the possibility of tonight being that warm, largely due to today not getting into the mid/upper 90s... but yeah, I wouldn't be all that surprised if it doesn't drop below the upper 70s overnight.  Warm airmass aloft and UHI and all.

As mentioned earlier, I am really bullish on tomorrow night's low.  

Actually, I take back what I said about tonight. Another lake enhanced OFB is rapidly pushing SW across NE Illinois once again. PWK went from 88 to 79, and falling.

Tomorrow night though should be golden, as you mentioned.

9 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Actually, I take back what I said about tonight. Another lake enhanced OFB is rapidly pushing SW across NE Illinois once again. PWK went from 88 to 79, and falling.

Tomorrow night though should be golden, as you mentioned.

The hell is that thing doing there?  

Oh well.  Maybe it will warm up again in a couple hours.  :guitar:

Temp went from 77 to 78 at ORD... at 3 am central time.

A tidbit about Wed night/Thu morning for Chicago.  Since records began, there have only been 6 occurrences of 80 degree lows in August and none after 8/21.  Will #7 happen and make it the latest day in the year with a low of 80?  Stay tuned.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Temp went from 77 to 78 at ORD... at 3 am central time.

A tidbit about Wed night/Thu morning for Chicago.  Since records began, there have only been 6 occurrences of 80 degree lows in August and none after 8/21.  Will #7 happen and make it the latest day in the year with a low of 80?  Stay tuned.

I say yes 

we would need a noon -2 pm push whereas Monday's temps was sort of stagnant in the time period after the quick early rise.

Quicker rise on Monday was due to the cooler starting point.

For today though, meso-analysis shows thermals aloft are definitely cooler than Monday, so it might be a struggle to even get to 95°.

8 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Quicker rise on Monday was due to the cooler starting point.

For today though, meso-analysis shows thermals aloft are definitely cooler than Monday, so it might be a struggle to even get to 95°.

It will find a way to hit 95 if not higher imo.  4-5 more hours of heating on dry ground in an urban setting.  Plus, it's ORD.  :sizzle:

It will find a way to hit 95 if not higher imo.  4-5 more hours of heating on dry ground in an urban setting.  Plus, it's ORD.  :sizzle:

You’ve been more positive during this stretch than I have, which is surprising given my heat monger status...So hopefully you’re right.

The 17z HRRR has a low of 75 at ORD, but it tends not to account very well for the UHI.  

Yesterday's 17z HRRR was about 4 degrees too cool with this morning's low temp.  If the same magnitude of error occurs this time, then it will come down to the wire as far as an 80 degree low. 

5 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

The 17z HRRR has a low of 75 at ORD, but it tends not to account very well for the UHI.  

Yesterday's 17z HRRR was about 4 degrees too cool with this morning's low temp.  If the same magnitude of error occurs this time, then it will come down to the wire as far as an 80 degree low. 

I'm not sure it'll matter, cause might have a few pop-up t'storms and/or get out-flowed tomorrow evening/night.

I'm just raining on your parade lately. :sun:

Just now, Chicago Storm said:

I'm not sure it'll matter, cause might have a few pop-up t'storms and/or get out-flowed tomorrow evening/night.

I'm just raining on your parade lately. :sun:

3 days ago I never would have imagined that Monday would be warmer than today.  Wx sure can surprise. 

Looks like clouds are on the increase at ORD?  I have noticed more clouds around here in the last hour or two.

3 days ago I never would have imagined that Monday would be warmer than today.  Wx sure can surprise. 

Looks like clouds are on the increase at ORD?  I have noticed more clouds around here in the last hour or two.

Agree. The Euro was dead-set on today being the hottest for several days. However, all other guidance was cooler, and in the near term supported Monday being the hottest. Euro gets a negative rating on that aspect, but positive for being the first to pick up on this period.

Yea, widespread CU across the whole area now. Going to make it even more-so of a struggle to get to 95