• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    LostInSomers
    Newest Member
    LostInSomers

Major Hurricane Laura

Just now, jpeters3 said:

I agree, but every other poster tries to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about after I presented a clearly thought out argument, and it's fairly frustrating.

I completely understand.  There's more important things to focus on right now though. 

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Thing still looks really dam impressive over the last few frames on satellite. Checking out the eye on WV, dry as a bone. 

Northern eyewall gonna be an ass kicker. A total gut punch before any relaxation into the eye. 

• Like 4

Recon extrap  still 934.3 and 935.1. Maybe down a MB since the last pass. SFMR way down but they didn't fly through the northern eyewall where the strongest winds are.

7 minutes ago, Vicious1990 said:

:facepalm:

150 people in Cameron Parish refused to leave, planned to weather #Laura in everything from elevated homes to recreational vehicles. “It’s a very sad situation. We did everything we could to encourage them to leave.”

https://twitter.com/MelindaDeslatte/status/1298802131466674178

In a few weeks if you're dining from a Landry's or Red Lobster, pass on the blue crab...

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Rjay said:

I completely understand.  There's more important things to focus on right now though. 

Agreed.  I am done (with that topic at least).

New recon made a pass while we were arguing, FYI:

145 kt FL winds in the western eyewall.
recon_AF300-2513A-LAURA_timeseries.png

17 minutes ago, jpeters3 said:

The argument is somewhat moot, because my speculation that the strengthening would stop was clearly wrong.  

In any case, mark my word, the last words I will utter on my death bed are "It was not attenuation!!!! I swear it!!!"

Hwrf and HMON both show the southern part of the eye to be weaker during this time period and in particular the HMON shows some slight breaks but both show the ring becoming more symmetrical in the next few hours leading up to landfall.

Probably a combination of weaker echoes and attenuation. I think completely discounting some attenuation contributing isn't correct.

4 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

Hwrf and HMON both show the southern part of the eye to be weaker during this time period and in particular the HMON shows some sight breaks but both show the ring becoming more symmetrical in the next few hours leading up to landfall.

Probably a combination of weaker echoes and attenuation. I think completely discounting some attenuation contributing isn't correct.

I am jealous that you live in Kailua.

Latest radar scans show that *whatever* was happening with the southern eyewall may be abating.  New high DBZ returns have wrapped completely around the southeastern side.

Image 8-26-20 at 7.38 PM.jpg

• Sad 1

Cloud tops in the Eastern quadrant are cooling again and the IR presentation overall is improved. Bad news...

• Like 1

Electric grid  is  going to be a  mess for  a  long time. Im sure crews from other states  have  been pre-positioned. If anything it  looks to me land  interaction will keep it  intact as it  comes ashore.

• Weenie 6

IR presentation continues to look impressive. Diurnal effects are likely responsible for some of the cooling tops, but strong convection is continuing to fire in the N eye wall. Laura is probably close to steady state now or up a couple of mb based on last drop. Almost moot to talk about meaningful intensity changes at this point, eye wall will be moving ashore in a few hours.

1 minute ago, MN Transplant said:

20 dbz.  Next!

C5F8DC29-6F06-40BF-BDFD-E3A1D0870D41.thumb.png.c1d1f9b01fdec55b928cd87b50d62cc8.png

Seems like Radarscope's color scale runs "hotter" than GR Level 3. No oranges down there for me, and only a few tiny patches of yellow.

• Thanks 1

Just now, NJwx85 said:

Cloud tops in the Eastern quadrant are cooking again and the IR presentation overall is improved. Bad news...

Very similar looking to Hugo.

1 minute ago, ldub23 said:

Electric grid  is  going to be a  mess for  a  long time. Im sure crews from other states  have  been pre-positioned. If anything it  looks to me land  interaction will keep it  intact as it  comes ashore.

Remember what Katrina 05 & Ike 08 did to the oil & gas supply while over the Gulf. 

Just now, JasonOH said:

Maybe I’m crazy, but it seems like the cloud tops have warmed abit on the south and east sides.

Careful, you could start an hour long internet war with that kind of talk...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 4

5 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Cloud tops in the Eastern quadrant are cooling again and the IR presentation overall is improved. Bad news...

1 minute ago, JasonOH said:

Maybe I’m crazy, but it seems like the cloud tops have warmed abit on the south and east sides.

:blink:

• Haha 5