• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Jerry Korkos
    Newest Member
    Jerry Korkos

Major Hurricane Laura

Just now, jpeters3 said:

Southern eyewall appears to have eroded completely.

Show might be over in terms of strengthening.

Image 8-26-20 at 6.44 PM.jpg

Pretty sure that's just radar attenuation.

18 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

I saw that. Looks like it might be an outflow boundary from the erupting towers just to the east right before the "anomaly" becomes visible. I sincerely doubt even the largest plane could cause something like that to appear in satellite imagery. But it is weird, I'll grant you that.

Agreed. And it's propagation speed is pretty slow. It looks very unnatural. I've never seen anything like it.

Edit: Maybe an overshooting top that gets detached and pulled in by the pressure gradient force?

2 minutes ago, jpeters3 said:

Not based on IR satellite

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KPITSnow said:

Or its radar issues, like has been said multiple times tonight....

It's not radar issues.  We've been over this.  

2 minutes ago, jpeters3 said:

Looks like radar beam attenuation due to intense precipitation.

Just now, Yeoman said:

Not based on IR satellite

IR satellite does not tell you about eyewall structure in nearly as much detail as radar.

Pretty sure that's just radar attenuation.

Too close to be attenuation, I'd think. Very possible the southern eyewall is just not convectively sustained like the northern semicircle. That being said, 75% of the band is still intense and that is sufficient to amp the vort maximum. That isn't going to weaken Laura, but it might be nearing steady-state. Unfortunately we're approaching landfall.
  • Like 1

Just now, jpeters3 said:

These strongest storms of course go thru multiple eyewall cycles which can temporarily stop further intensification. Whether this is that or if the sheer is finally starting to do its job remains to be seen.

Just now, jpeters3 said:

It's not radar issues.  We've been over this.  

It must be too some degree. I mean, a high end cat four just doesn't have a fully open eye to the south. Could certainly weaker than the northern half of course.

Just now, eduggs said:

Looks like radar beam attenuation due to intense precipitation.

This is is not attenuation for the last time.  It shows up on multiple radars in the same location.  Rain doesn't typically attenuate WSR88Ds at this range.

IR actually appears to have the eyewall closing off.  Looks like a truck tire the last few frames.

1 minute ago, jpeters3 said:

This is is not attenuation for the last time.  It shows up on multiple radars in the same location.  Rain doesn't typically attenuate WSR88Ds at this range.

Wouldn't recon have reported an open eyewall? By any means it seems to be weaker that part of the eyewall. 

For all you idiots who are acting like I just insulted a member of your family, here is the KHGX view which shows the same structure.

These ignorant comments about radar attenuation need to stop.

RADAR.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 7

Just now, jpeters3 said:

I haven't looked at different radar sites, so cannot speak to your first point.  But I've definitely seen torrential rainfall (as in the northern eyewall for example) attenuate the beam at this range.

Could it (less intensity in the southern eyewall) have something to do with the land the storm is approaching? I recall in some past storms, like Matthew (I think) the side opposite the coast had less precipitation, and this was partially because that air had just been over a landmass.

Just now, cheese007 said:

Not impossible this weakens notably before landfall. Would be just in the nick of time  

Nick of time for what? 145 mph winds instead of 155 mph winds? 20 ft surge instead of 25 ft surge?

• Like 1

Y'all. The storm is still powerful. It is ~50 miles from the northern extent of the strongest echoes from moving ashore in LA. Irma when it moved through the Straits and impacted the Lower Keys, it had a very powerful northern and eastern extent with a weakened southern side convectively. It continued to strengthen despite the radar presentation. Laura has a well developed eye with stability. There were no signs of EWRC during the passage by hunters. It is almost ashore. It may not be a Cat5, but a high end Cat4 is nothing to sneeze at. 

It could also be adjusted up during reanalysis. Can we stick to analysis and not bantering on semantics at this point? Thank you

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1