• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    hubric
    Newest Member
    hubric

Major Hurricane Laura

Just now, Hotair said:

If Laura were to make landfall as a Cat 5 (a possibility now) it will only be the second cane to Ever do so (Michael being the first )  - I could have my facts wrong but I’m sure it’s true for modern times.  

Andrew...

• Like 1

Just now, Hotair said:

If Laura were to make landfall as a Cat 5 (a possibility now) it will only be the second cane to Ever do so (Michael being the first )  - I could have my facts wrong but I’m sure it’s true for modern times.  

Andrew, Camille and Labor Day Hurricane of 1935

• Like 1

Just now, Hotair said:

I would consider Andrew modern times wouldn’t you?

Also Maria was a cat 5 when it hit PR. 

1 minute ago, Hotair said:

You are very far from correct

• Like 3
  • Haha 10

5 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

The intense mid level velocities that seem overdone based on pressure have got to be background induced from strong 592 dm heights and the ridge repositioning to Laura's east. Background pressures have got to be above normal but I am in no way in a place to dig/investigate at the moment.

I've been digging those up for comparison.

Dorian 185 mph/910 MB

Michael 160 mph/919 MB

Irma 185 mph/914 MB

Charley 145 mph/947 MB

Ivan 165 mph/910 MB

Y'all have the fancy equipment. So I can at least do a little research to help out in this respect. I can get others if requested.  

• Like 1

Just now, the ghost of leroy said:

go look up sandy...pretty sure that and camille were both 5's too

Sandy was not even close to a Cat 5. Andrew, Camille and the Keys hurricane in the 1930's (Ill get the year here soon)

Just now, Hotair said:

Camille?

Andrew?

9 minutes ago, Hotair said:

There have been 4 category 5 hurricanes to make landfall in the contingent US:

Labor Day Hurricane of 1933 in Islemorada, FL (FL Keys)

Hurricane Camille in 1969 (Corrected)

Hurricane Andrew in 1992

Hurricane Michael last year 

• Like 4

Whats up with the southern eye wall on radar? looks like a gap in it. If actually a break should stop any intensification, Still looks fine on IR though.

This one is comparable to Charley in terms of wind speed/pressure relationship, but Laura is considerably larger.

• Like 7

Just now, Scott747 said:

Locked in on the final spot. Josh is headed that way now....

where's the final spot?

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

false. it was a 155 C4

Just now, andyhb said:

This one is comparable to Charley in terms of wind speed/pressure relationship, but Laura is considerably larger.

Great comparison, Charley of course a much together core/wind radius. Went from 120-150 at landfall with pressures similar to to Laura. 

2 minutes ago, andyhb said:

Yea, this one is in another league as far as energy and ability to produce surge. I think charley was an example of another system where wind was more damaging than surge...the small ones, usually.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Its all about the gradient.....generally speaking, we can associate a given pressure with a wind speed, but it varies....sometimes significantly so.

Same thing with winter storms....blizz of 78 was only like 983mb (1050mb HI)...sorry for OT, but somewhat related.

I have to chime in about this, because I was near ground-zero for the blizzard of '78, in Bowling Green OH.  According to Wikipedia (yeah, I know) the pressure dropped to 956mb, and was the 3rd-lowest non-tropical-system pressure ever recorded in the USA.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Maria was a 4 at PR landfall it was a 5 at Dominica. 

Guam has been hit by a 5 i believe. 

Just now, Uncle Bobby said:

I have to chime in about this, because I was near ground-zero for the blizzard of '78, in Bowling Green OH.  According to Wikipedia (yeah, I know) the pressure dropped to 956mb, and was the 3rd-lowest non-tropical-system pressure ever recorded in the USA.

I mean the Feb one in New England.

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

Maria was a 4 at PR landfall it was a 5 at Dominica. 

Guam has been hit by a 5 i believe. 

Correct, Maria was 155 at PR, 165 at Dominica I believe. Also second that Guam has seen a 5 and potentially Samoa? 

The 155 mph cat4 vs cat5 on PR is quibbling, given that the threshold for cat 5 is 157 mph.

• Thanks 1

Just now, DDweatherman said:

Correct, Maria was 155 at PR, 165 at Dominica I believe. Also second that Guam has seen a 5 and potentially Samoa? 

edit this to say Yutu hit the Mariana’s at like 190mph if I remember right (technically US)

Just now, the ghost of leroy said:

he's not going to doxx josh, there are too many dick riders out there

Just wondering the city/town.  

3 minutes ago, jpeters3 said:

The 155 mph cat4 vs cat5 on PR is quibbling, given that the threshold for cat 5 is 156 mph.

I was about to say...I feel like we get a tad OCD with some of these things...lol