• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    LostInSomers
    Newest Member
    LostInSomers

Major Hurricane Laura

Just now, jojo762 said:

So we'll probably be looking at 940mb/155mph with the 7pm CDT update. Incredible. HWRF nailed the intensity forecast pretty well i'd say.

HMON and EURO did about as good as you can ask too.

• Like 1

Just now, Amped said:

HMON and EURO did about as good as you can ask too.

Euro not on track though. Intensity it did well. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, brianc33710 said:

I was just checking back. Dorian bottomed out at 913 MB. Michael, whose winds are similar to Laura's, dropped to 919 MB. So Laura isn't there, at least not yet. Of course Katrina, Rita & Wilma dropped well below 900 MB. 

I depends on the ambient pressure envt, too....if its a high pressure regime, that matters.

Someone who knows can specify because I do not know.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

It’s just a touch, right a long the TX coast.

Ironically, had it landfalled farther west into TX, not even necessarily HOU area it may have had more of an impact. Also the shear will be more parallel at this angle vs perpendicular which is less impactful on a system. Did see the HMON turn a bit NW in the last few hours before landfall but probably negligible effects.

Even if it has peaked or even weakens a tad from here on it will not matter surge wise, this is a very bad situation. I agree that overall the HWRF wins the model battle, this pressure is very close to what it has had for a couple of days.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Euro not on track though. Intensity it did well. 

Impressed by how well the GFS sniffed out the further East track.

Just now, Cheeznado said:

Even if it has peaked or even weakens a tad from here on it will not matter surge wise, this is a very bad situation. I agree that overall the HWRF wins the model battle, this pressure is very close to what it has had for a couple of days.

The HWRF bombs every storm out. It was bound to be right eventually.

• Like 1

Just now, highways1 said:

Ironically, had it landfalled farther west into TX, not even necessarily HOU area it may have had more of an impact. Also the shear will be more parallel at this angle vs perpendicular which is less impactful on a system. Did see the HMON turn a bit NW in the last few hours before landfall but probably negligible effects.

Part of it could just be some land friction. I agree that it should at minimum maintain intensity through landfall.

One has to wonder if after this, what happens to Cameron Parish in terms of governmental function. At minimum, you could see the dis-incorporation of the towns there and maybe Calcasieu Parish or the state assuming most government function for them.

Just now, SnowLover22 said:

Wow That 172 knot or 200 mph reading is :lmao:

recon_NOAA2-2413A-LAURA_dropsonde3_20200826-2301.png

That’s still pretty far up. More impressive is the 140+kts just barely above the surface now.

• Like 2

I keep trying to get data from the observations from the Lake Charles NWS stations for comparisons but only one station shows at a time. Are others having the same problems? The fact that the pressure is still around 29.7" with Laura not that far away must mean that the readings are just about to plummet all at once. 

• Sad 1

Ray you were on target.  The central pressure of a hurricane does not reflect the same residual thought in every storm scenario.  This is what I mean; in hurricane A, the pressure of 920mb equates to 175 mph sustained winds, but hurricane B a pressure of 935mb equates to 175 mph and hurricane C the pressure of 880mb equates to 175 mph winds.  Each example as a different environmental pressure threshold.  If the overall environment around the storm is higher compared to average, the center of the storm will behave accordingly and in tandem.  The western Caribbean Sea had extremely low environmental pressure when Wilma was a category five hurricane at 882mb.  Higher pressures in the environment around the storm, higher the pressures inside the eye of the hurricane.  and then vice versa.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Calderon said:

One has to wonder if after this, what happens to Cameron Parish in terms of governmental function. At minimum, you could see the dis-incorporation of the towns there and maybe Calcasieu Parish or the state assuming most government function for them.

The people in New Orleans are glad this storm isn’t 100 miles further East. Would have been a good test for the upgrades since Katrina. 

1 minute ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Ray you were on target.  The central pressure of a hurricane does not reflect the same residual thought in every storm scenario.  This is what I mean; in hurricane A, the pressure of 920mb equates to 175 mph sustained winds, but hurricane B a pressure of 935mb equates to 175 mph and hurricane C the pressure of 880mb equates to 175 mph winds.  Each example as a different environmental pressure threshold.  If the overall environment around the storm is higher compared to average, the center of the storm will behave accordingly and in tandem.  The western Caribbean Sea had extremely low environmental pressure when Wilma was a category five hurricane at 882mb.  Higher pressures in the environment around the storm, higher the pressures inside the eye of the hurricane.  and then vice versa.

Its all about the gradient.....generally speaking, we can associate a given pressure with a wind speed, but it varies....sometimes significantly so.

Same thing with winter storms....blizz of 78 was only like 983mb (1050mb HI)...sorry for OT, but somewhat related.

• Like 1

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I did exceptionally well with the track....had that nailed Sunday,  but I gotta admit....I bought into the light shear/dry air having this come in as a 3.

Oh well. Learning experience.

The best part of this hobby imo is the humbling unpredictability. This setup could have played out 10 times and probably in at least half the shear would have won out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mimillman said:

7:00 PM CDT Wed Aug 26
Moving: NNW at 15 mph
Min pressure: 940 mb
Max sustained: 150 mph

49 minutes ago, ScottB said:

940/150

:)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 2

Just now, NJwx85 said:

The best part of this hobby imo is the humbling unpredictability. This setup could have played out 10 times and probably in at least half the shear would have won out.

Happens with respect to the tropics, and my winter outlooks....everytime I get cocky and over confident, mother nature sends me to bed with no supper lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, andyhb said:

Can we not have meteorologists talking about weather modification in here?

I actually found it quite humorous 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The people in New Orleans are glad this storm isn’t 100 miles further East. Would have been a good rest for the upgrades since Katrina. 

Agreed and I think Cameron is about as fortunate a place possible for the harshest winds to come onshore.  Lots of open land and inexpensive structures 

Laura is more than making up for Marcos falling apart so quickly after reaching hurricane status, not that this is necessarily a "good" thing.

From Christopher Hollis---Tropical Atlantic

NOAA recon through 6:31pm CDT. NHC track and position as of 4pm CDT. SSEC RealEarth satellite imagery, Mesoscale Floater 1, Band 13, color, at 6:37pm CDT.

7hDUk5L.thumb.jpg.aad1b0bd57e24cab1e942c7e54e22e63.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Happens with respect to the tropics, and my winter outlooks....everytime I get cocky and over confident, mother nature sends me to bed with no supper lol

Severe too. Some days you can get big outbreaks in marginal setups and then nothing on days where it looked like a lock.