• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    LostInSomers
    Newest Member
    LostInSomers

Major Hurricane Laura

1 minute ago, Chicago Storm said:

Interesting feature on satellite. If you loop both vis sat and IR sat, the feature is in the deeper convection, then gets pulled quickly left.

arrow.png

Vis Sat kind of makes it looks like a bizarre gravity wave effect. Never seen anything quite like that.

2 minutes ago, Doorman said:

https://www.livebeaches.com/webcams/galveston-beach-surf-cam/

Gulf water looks  just about ready  to breach street level

tale a look regardless

There’s a 15 foot concrete sea wall below the road, it ain’t breaching that.  Optical illusion from the camera angle, but there is a man made cliff off that road to the gulf.  The road is literally the top of the seawall

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Interesting feature on satellite. If you loop both vis sat and IR sat, the feature is in the deeper convection, then gets pulled quickly left.

arrow.png

To me it just looks like further fanning out of the CDO.

So basing off that pass through the NE quad i'd imagine intensity will be nudged up to 155mph... on the cusp of category 5 intensity.

Hopefully there aren’t any chasers the beach 
Obviously - but someone is on that beach... just need to find them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Recall the argument over whether a 929 mb cat 5 was possible in the Gulf?  Seems like we could end up with a ~940 mb cat 5 by the time this is over.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

Basing off of the FL wind from recon, appears there is no indication of a secondary wind max, so any weakening due to an EWRC prior to landfall is pretty much out of the range of possibilities. 

Just now, jojo762 said:

Basing off of the FL wind from recon, appears there is no indication of a secondary wind max, so any weakening due to an EWRC prior to landfall is pretty much out of the range of possibilities. 

You can also look at the KLCH radar - no indication of secondary reflectivity max there.  Just a MASSIVE inner eyewall.

• Like 1

Just now, jojo762 said:

This has been obvious for a while. EWRC on such intense storms typically show signs at least a few hours in advance and time is quickly running out.

938mb appears to be the extrap pressure. As always that number tends to be a little low and calibration with the actual dropsonde will be shortly...but clearly the pressure continues a steady if not rapid decline.

4 minutes ago, jpeters3 said:

Recall the argument over whether a 929 mb cat 5 was possible in the Gulf?  Seems like we could end up with a ~940 mb cat 5 by the time this is over.

Yeah that was me leading the charge on the “it’d have to be way under 930” argument. 

Im still pretty shocked. I consider myself to be pretty good with the historical record of major hurricanes in the basin and have never seen anything close to this weird. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jojo762 said:

Vis Sat kind of makes it looks like a bizarre gravity wave effect. Never seen anything quite like that.

Wow! Wierd...especially on the vis.

• Like 1

FWIW, KTLH is consistently showing 160-170 mph maximum inbound returns in the right quadrant. 

Just now, the ghost of leroy said:

Yeah that was me leading the charge on the “it’d have to be way under 930” argument. 

Im still pretty shocked. I consider myself to be pretty good with the historical record of major hurricanes in the basin and have never seen anything close to this weird. 

Yeah, you were right to argue about that one.  I can't think of another comparable example.

9 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

To me it just looks like further fanning out of the CDO.

No...go look at the vis loop....you see something heading toward the eye.

• Like 1

Just now, LakeEffectKing said:

Wow! Wierd...especially on the vis.

It almost looks like an overshooting top anvil being blown in the wrong direction. That's about all I can muster from it.