• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Christina
    Newest Member
    Christina

Major Hurricane Laura

Just now, LakeEffectKing said:

My forecast for intensity,  Unfortunately is coming to fruition. But thankfully, For Galveston and Houston, my track will not verify.   Thoughts are with the folks along the coast of Southwest Louisiana and North East Texas...

Opposite here....my track from Sunday PM is spot on, but my 110-125LF range maybe weak.

4 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Yeah they're going to be the worst hit city in this. Massive surge and wind. Port Arthur will be close but could dodge the big surge at least. 

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Lake Charles will be the hardest hit community with much of any population, I think.

The only way that we get out of this without catastrophic damage is if we can get a late save with a more northerly component early and keep the eastern eyewall to the east of Cameron/Calcasieu Lake.  There is mostly wildlife refuge and sparsely populated areas east of Lake Charles.  But if the eastern eyewall is pushing water up the lake into Lake Charles it is going to be awful.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

For those wondering about current position with respect to Lake Charles, Cameron, Port Arthur, etc., Laura is still SSE at storm relative motion and at a longitudinal position east of those cities. Getting close though. Also keep in mind the beam is pushing 40k ft so eyewall reflectivity echoes are still yet weak.4e6ef0fd38cb97daa2a2c9d4dcf0043c.gif

Friend on FB that I went to HS with lives near Lafayette, so def. hope it keeps ticking west...scary scene.

If I'm inland in LA....Alexandria, Monroe and straight thru central LA I'm asking myself how many days or weeks can I survive without power right now.  The lowland flooding and flying pine trees in that region are going to be devastating to infrastructure.  

Thanks to whoever posted the FB link from Holly Beach.  That will prove valuable as the day wears on.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Superstorm93 said:

For your viewing pleasure 

fa0f45fd8bafa96d73fec15eb103ed37.gif

yeah, I noticed that too - lightning in the core.  This means significant hail aloft and some seriously strong updrafts.  

The gravity waves produced as those VHTs wrap around the eye are incredible to watch.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

For those wondering about current position with respect to Lake Charles, Cameron, Port Arthur, etc., Laura is still SSE at storm relative motion and at a longitudinal position east of those cities. Getting close though. Also keep in mind the beam is pushing 40k ft so eyewall reflectivity echoes are still yet weak.4e6ef0fd38cb97daa2a2c9d4dcf0043c.gif

Added in degree and distance.

2020-08-26_130418.jpg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, yotaman said:

Thanks but it looks like all his cams are on a pay for site.

Yep...via patreon, and worth every penny, trust me!

B0F80A9D-9D8B-4386-B787-8A3B3F2417DE.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Recon already finding hurricane force FL winds, and they’re still well over 100 miles away from the COC.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jojo762 said:

The gravity waves produced as those VHTs wrap around the eye are incredible to watch.

true that but only if you're looking down on them from above - not so much fun if you're below them looking up.

Boy, this storm is a mess.  The tornadic activity has already started in pop up thundershowers in the NE quadrant.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, yotaman said:

Thanks but it looks like all his cams are on a pay for site.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Memphis Weather said:

LCH (NWS Lake Charles) has been officially evacuated and all operations are now being handled either remotely or primarily by NWS Brownsville TX

I can't find anything on this. Source?

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

Ah, just saw this on the header:

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LAKE CHARLES LA
ISSUED BY NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BROWNSVILLE TX
1144 AM CDT WED AUG 26 2020

LAZ073-TXZ201-215-216-261-261815-
WEST CAMERON LA-ORANGE TX-JEFFERSON TX-HARDIN TX-SOUTHERN JASPER TX-
1144 AM CDT WED AUG 26 2020

...A LINE OF TROPICAL SHOWERS WILL AFFECT NORTHWESTERN CAMERON 
PARISH... JEFFERSON...SOUTHEASTERN HARDIN...ORANGE AND SOUTH CENTRAL 
JASPER COUNTIES UNTIL 115 PM CDT...

AT 1141 AM CDT, DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED SHOWERS WERE LOCATED ALONG A 
LINE EXTENDING FROM 8 MILES SOUTHEAST OF JOHNSONS BAYOU TO 28 MILES 
SOUTH OF GILCHRIST. MOVEMENT WAS NORTHWEST AT 30 MPH.

WIND GUSTS UP TO 50 MPH ARE POSSIBLE WITH THESE SHOWERS. TROPICAL 
FUNNELS AND WATERSPOUTS ARE POSSIBLE. 

• Sad 1

I have family in all over Houston metro - Pearland to Conroe. It’s wild my parents in NE Texas - about 30 miles west of Shreveport - might get actually worse weather than Houston proper.