• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    LostInSomers
    Newest Member
    LostInSomers

Major Hurricane Laura

Just now, Hc7 said:

the rate shes deepening at is concerning to say the least given the smaller size of her eye and the large size of the system itself. Is the shear shell encounter right before landfall even going to be able to have much actual impact on what shes capable of if shes a large, mid-high end cat 4 by that time?

It -- hurricanes are things not people, not he or she. 

• Like 13
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

Just now, mappy said:

Good god, thank you. Assigning gender to these storms drives me insane.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

Thank you for saying what we were all thinking.

I don't want to get started with how I feel about posters calling them "canes" either...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jpeters3 said:

I don't want to get started with how I feel about posters calling them "canes" either...

gotta pick your battles. ;) 

Just call them cyclones and be done with it

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, KPITSnow said:

Good god, thank you. Assigning gender to these storms drives me insane.

Yeah it’s really bizarre and kinda creepy.  Followed by the slobbering complimentary adjectives and joy that some express as this and similar storms are about to end and ruin peoples’ lives.

Yadda yadda it’s my hobby and this is an exemption zone for ethics or judgment, I get it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

The 30 nm eye is greatly concerning for such a large pressure drop. This is not a small system. Will take time for the vortex to ramp up due to the wide gradient. But that means fetch may be larger and a higher surge. Additionally Laura may intensify right into landfall without an ERC as there may simply not be enough time for outer banding to consolidate and organize with such a large initial eyeband. Even if it does, the eyeband likely makes landfall at a steady-state after having had 12 more hours to flirt with MPI.

Now would the landfall happening at night also affect things? I've heard folks say that nighttime landfalls can be worse for the impacted areas...is that true? And why? The diurnal thing? (forgive my limited understanding of the terminology, lol)

1 minute ago, TPAwx said:

Yeah it’s really bizarre and kinda creepy.  Followed by the slobbering complimentary adjectives and joy that some express as this and similar storms are about to end and ruin peoples’ lives.

Yadda yadda it’s my hobby and this is an exemption zone for ethics or judgment, I get it.

Every storm we gotta hear this BS. It doesn't matter what we say.  Mother nature is gonna decide.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, psv88 said:

eye has disappeared for the time being, probably just reforming

I think as it develops it will get clouded with cirrus from time to time, but to me...it still looks to be developing. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JakkelWx said:

120 knot FL wind barbs on the northern eyewall pass. NOAA2

130230 2652N 09128W 7529 02288 9784 +158 +142 107106 109 082 011 00
130300 2651N 09128W 7519 02274 9753 +156 //// 110114 118 084 057 01
130330 2649N 09128W 7456 02316 9719 +156 //// 118114 122 089 050 01
130400 2648N 09128W 7511 02246 9696 +165 //// 118085 088 099 019 01
  • Like 1

Now would the landfall happening at night also affect things? I've heard folks say that nighttime landfalls can be worse for the impacted areas...is that true? And why? The diurnal thing? (forgive my limited understanding of the terminology, lol)
Not trying to be facetious in my response here but the experience at night is simply more terrifying as you cannot see what is going on around you. You're more at the mercy of your hearing which can be an unpleasant experience regardless. Meteorologically, the evening diurnal maximum can assist in convection, but an intense cyclone already has intense convection and isn't as reliant on diurnal influences as a developing one as it's already maximizing the upper tropospheric boundaries and temperatures.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

This disaster in the making won’t just be confined to the coast I fear. Laura’s effects will be far reaching with flooding and tornado outbreaks as she moves inland and crosses the country. Be safe my friends.

• Weenie 6

Looks like the best analogs in terms of surge would be Rita or Audrey. Looking at the post analysis on both, the current surge forecast seems reasonable, or even a little on the low end (where they often don't seem to quite verify)

• Like 1

I think we knew Laura had this potential, but we were hoping it wasn't going to crank this fast. Laura appears to be joining other historic Gulf Coast hurricanes as a devastating strike on Louisiana. 122 kt FLW.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mappy said:

I do that inadvertently, BTW. My step-mother, who my father married when I was 20, is named Laura. 

• Like 1

Eye still somewhat cirrus covered on visible but is continuing to clear out. Impressive structure to say the least. Likely to have the look of a classic intense hurricane by this afternoon.
bf0762524e53368a7ba309d19444bf08.gif

• Like 1

LZK - about time to pull the trigger, don't you think?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I know that wobbles are common with these stronger systems but it seems like Laura could make landfall on the western side of the cone a little west of the Texas/Louisiana border closer to Beaumont than Lake Charles unless it makes a sharper NNW turn soon.