• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Irish
    Newest Member
    Irish

Major Hurricane Laura

It's still ridiculous. Yes, the current state of the Union is hot garbage. But we do go a decade or more without a single Category 4 landfall. They are rare. I am a little surprised at how little attention is being brought upon the folks in SW LA.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

I am a little surprised at how little attention is being brought upon the folks in SW LA.

If it were south Florida the attention would be different. All of the national media have left SW LA because they don't care to be there. Rooms? Fine dining? Starbucks?

Nah, no fun.

No media, no story...

On 9/5/2020 at 2:21 PM, gymengineer said:

Meanwhile, Cameron and Calcasieu (Lake Charles) parishes are still at around 98% power outage.

We had a line of thunderstorms pass a few hours ago and knocked out power here until about 30 minutes ago. They were on my mind for sure. Tonight brought back memories of Irma taking our power out for a couple weeks.

First morning after surveying the damage to our home (we were lucky), moving some debris off our cars, and taking down some window protection, we fired up the gas grill and made breakfast that was very good. Aside from an oak tree laying on our house and the mess it was a beautiful cool morning.

By the third day, we tried to find ice in town and discovered that it was gone and was impossible to buy for a week at least. We did buy some frozen spinach from a grocery store that was open to put in a cooler to keep my wife's insulin cool.

By the fifth day, frozen food was nowhere to be found. Our freezer and refrigerator food was trash. The heat and humidity was unbearable, our stock of batteries were dwindling mostly used on fans. We'd sit in one of the cars with the A/C on while we charged our phones.

We never lost water, happy for that. We still have a ton of water in the spare room we may never need. But hey, it is there if we do.

Seven days out, we found a hotel that had power (on and off) and waited it out watching our money go away.

Even four hours with no electricity tonight we were suffering. Imagine having no power, and your home is destroyed, your stuff ruined, nowhere to go. Likely your job is toast for a while. UGH

2 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Who would’ve thought the highest surge values would be east of where the storm’s center went??? What a novel concept. This was a terrifying storm and one of the greats we will ever see come ashore. Very fortunate this went east of the population in SW LA and directed it’s unimaginable fury into the marsh 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Windspeed said:

When the pictures from earlier surveys dropped, I think a lot of weather twitter didn’t realize how far inland locations like Grand Chenier are. This tweet from today at the coast got a lot more weather twitter traction. 

On 9/9/2020 at 9:29 PM, NorthHillsWx said:

Who would’ve thought the highest surge values would be east of where the storm’s center went??? What a novel concept.

I suppose where it is very flat, a strong swirl will bring the water around. Like a snow drift around the corner of a building from the actual blizzard wind?