• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    corvairbob
    Newest Member
    corvairbob

Major Hurricane Laura

4 minutes ago, the ghost of leroy said:

We should ban boomers from the internet because they are bad at reading for context 

Sorry if I did not get all giggly like you did about his silly

Boomers tend to be grownups, you will get to be  grown up some day 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, Windspeed said:
7 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:
And you are absolutely wrong.  That leveling indicates 110-120  mph and not under 100 such as 90 

He was being sarcastic due to earlier discussion.

Not my job to research that.  It’s not a banter thread 

1 hour ago, Windspeed said:

Unsure if from Laura or previous surge events but this one looks current based on the debris.

Too clean for an old slab. Trees, weeds, and bushes grow quickly in the south in every crack and concrete gets buried withing a few years.

• Like 3

There was a lot of damage where I was and I suspect if I went into town it would have looked similar to some of the Lake Charles pictures. We were in the eyewall for hours. It was relentless.

• Like 1

Yeah this is looking pretty bad. Granted, Lake Charles got hammered with winds but they still got lucky that the eye wasn't about 10-15 miles west of center landfall point. Instead of extreme east wind over the river and lake, it would have been south.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

And you are absolutely wrong.  That leveling indicates 110-120  mph and not under 100 such as 90 

I was kidding. 

All the surge definitely escaped to the south from the eye wall being open. Must have been that silver iodine radar blip we saw that caused it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Weenie 1

You flee warnings?
Honestly, I have often wondered with a really major long lasting tornado if you are better off driving out of its path especially if you have a basic knowledge of how to read a radar. Say you have a 15-20 minute lead time, that is likely more than enough time to get away. I know that if I saw a tornado coming at me from 5 miles away I could like be at least a mile or two out of its path by the time it reached me.
Of course - you're an idiot if you stay in the path of a long - tracker. They just don't tell people to do that because - if everyone did that- there'd be so much traffic you'd die in your car.

Now, if you only have a couple of minutes and don't have underground shelter and don't have time to make an intelligent decision - get the tire iron out of your trunk and pry up the manhole cover and - text someone not in the path what you're doing-but hop in the sewer as the absolute last resort.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just now, mempho said:

Of course - you're an idiot if you stay in the path of a long - tracker. They just don't tell people to do that because - if everyone did that- there'd be so much traffic you'd die in your car.

Now, if you only have a couple of minutes and don't have underground shelter and don't have time to make an intelligent decision - get the tire iron out of your trunk and pry up the manhole cover and - text someone not in the path what you're doing-but hop in the sewer as the absolute last resort.

I work in a bank branch, with zero interior rooms, and their "plan" if there is a storm is for us to hide in the hallway...remember there is no second floor so it may as well be an exposed shed in a tornado.

I told my boss that if there is a tornado coming I am leaving, end of story. I will take my chances driving out of the way of it rather than be a sitting duck.

I still maintain that the amount of attenuation going on was negligible. This is especially true when in Laura's case, the southern part of the eyewall was weaker the entire day on both HGX and LCH and this is a weakness that was also evident on recon data. So while attenuation may be a convenient explanation, at least from what I can tell(and who knows maybe im wildly off the mark here) it doesn't seem to be the correct one.

7cb06b621c414d64fef89036a306ad5a.jpg

Then watch as the eyewall consolidated on LCH and HGX on final approach to the coast. My best guess is that frictional convergence played a role in this process but this consolidation was very much legitimate and not some radar enhanced artifact. There was almost certainly some attenuation going on from LCH (especially earlier in the day at higher beam heights) but in the hours before landfall, as @jpeters3 had explained, the amount of attenuation occurring was not enough to sufficiently explain such a weakness there on its own. 

8c867291b82e99c7356b6075a66adf6c.jpg

Just now, hlcater said:

I still maintain that the amount of attenuation going on was negligible. This is especially true when in Laura's case, the southern part of the eyewall was weaker the entire day on both HGX and LCH and this is a weakness that was also evident on recon data. So while attenuation may be a convenient explanation, at least from what I can tell(and who knows maybe im wildly off the mark here) it doesn't seem to be the correct one.

7cb06b621c414d64fef89036a306ad5a.jpg

Then watch as the eyewall consolidated on LCH and HGX on final approach to the coast. My best guess is that frictional convergence played a role in this process but this consolidation was very much legitimate and not some radar enhanced artifact. There was almost certainly some attenuation going on from LCH (especially earlier in the day at higher beam heights) but in the hours before landfall, as @jpeters3 had explained, the amount of attenuation occurring was not enough to sufficiently explain such a weakness there on its own. 

8c867291b82e99c7356b6075a66adf6c.jpg

Lol

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Chuck said:

That must explain why all of the canning supplies have been bought out for the fall. Their going to be used to can this bumper seed crop.

I had a website client in 1997/1998, the late "Robert Petro, Internationally Famous Psychic" who used to tell me stories in his beautiful million dollar home in Sedona, AZ that he was part of a psychic team that was used by the Government when a hurricane was approaching important US locations to use their special powers to divert the storms. Quite a character, to say the least.

So between a team of psychics and some cheap cloud seeding, the cost should be minimum compared to financial help when a storm like Laura hits the US.

I remember as Katrina tried to form days before it landed and also Harvey, I kept thinking why does the eye not become perfect when everyone kept expecting it.

Was it the psychics and seeds? If so, I'd say it might have been better to let nature take its course! Talk about a back-fire! ;)

• Like 1

Regardless of the open eyewall argument, in the end it didn't matter. I think it is pretty clear given the damage we are seeing this was a strong Cat 4 at least....the swath of damage 20-30 miles inland is really impressive, and getting 130-140 MPH gusts all the way up to LC is pretty amazing to be honest.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Regardless of the open eyewall argument, in the end it didn't matter. I think it is pretty clear given the damage we are seeing this was a strong Cat 4 at least....the swath of damage 20-30 miles inland is really impressive, and getting 130-140 MPH gusts all the way up to LC is pretty amazing to be honest.

Yup, pics are pretty impressive. Eyewall doesn't need to be a complete 50dbz ring of intense convection to dish out some real pain. Historically, storms like Michael and Dorian with their complete eyewalls and nearly symmetric banding are the rarity and not the norm

• Like 3

I work in a bank branch, with zero interior rooms, and their "plan" if there is a storm is for us to hide in the hallway...remember there is no second floor so it may as well be an exposed shed in a tornado.
I told my boss that if there is a tornado coming I am leaving, end of story. I will take my chances driving out of the way of it rather than be a sitting duck.
Why would you not get in the vault? You have what is essentially a bomb-proof room there-- oh, I forgot, the money is there.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Floydbuster said:

I still have the video of Homestead post-Andrew, the worst devastation I have ever seen, and I'm not sure this isn't worse.  OMFG

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mempho said:

Why would you not get in the vault? You have what is essentially a bomb-proof room there-- oh, I forgot, the money is there.

We are a new bank and don't have a traditional vault. Our "vault" is essentially a big safe. Our "vault room" has our outside ATM's backing into it and you can see outside through the ATM machines.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Bobby said:

I still have the video of Homestead post-Andrew, the worst devastation I have ever seen, and I'm not sure this isn't worse.  OMFG

If this would have run into a populated area it would have been potentially one of our worst natural disasters of all time. We have gotten lucky with this and Michael that they hit rather sparsely populated areas.

• Like 1

We are a new bank and don't have a traditional vault. Our "vault" is essentially a big safe. Our "vault room" has our outside ATM's backing into it and you can see outside through the ATM machines.
Plz post pics and a building diagram

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

If this would have run into a populated area it would have been potentially one of our worst natural disasters of all time. We have gotten lucky with this and Michael that they hit rather sparsely populated areas.

Andrew in the exact same place as Laura would have been a lot worse than Laura. Lake Charles took a direct hit and it is bad, but nowhere near an Andrew. Even Michael was nothing like Andrew even though wiping out a swath on Mexico Beach.

6 minutes ago, brianc33710 said:

Has this set a new "record" for the most pages given to a weather topic?

We are a hollow shell of what we used to be. There’s no way this is a record. 

• Like 1

Just now, the ghost of leroy said:

We are a hollow shell of what we used to be. There’s no way this is a record. 

What storm was the peak??