• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    corvairbob
    Newest Member
    corvairbob

Major Hurricane Laura

I lost power for 2 weeks during Sandy.

zzz. people in cedar rapids, ia were without power for 2.5 weeks after the derecho.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, SENC said:

MEH...

I gonna say it.. CAT2 @ Landfall ..  Minimal Storm Surge..  

The Safair Simson scale NEEDS to be revised, It's Misleading.. 

It NEEDS to be revise to Winds AT the Surface,, NOT at 1000K feet up (OR "Fight level" @ 10K feet) ..

A TRUE cat 4/5 those homes, (even built too stronger building codes), Would be wiped clean in a Cat 4.. 140/150 mph winds AT the Surface

dunning1.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 8
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Chicago Storm said:

zzz. people in cedar rapids, ia were without power for 2.5 weeks after the derecho.

True lol that derecho was basically a land cat 3.

7 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Ehhhhhhhhh I am sure you have read the NYC and NE subforums during hurricane season. This is obvious an extreme example of a weenie but Metsfan was flooded out by Sandy from what I remember but he is still rooting on every hurricane to slam into queens.

Ehhhhhhhh I guess to each their own. I had 3-4ft of water in my house and my neighborhood was uninhabitable for many weeks, so once was more than enough for me. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SENC said:

MH...

It NEEDS to be revise to Winds AT the Surface,, NOT at 1000K feet up (OR "Fight level" @ 10K feet) ..

A TRUE cat 4/5 those homes, (even built too stronger building codes), Would be wiped clean in a Cat 4.. 140/150 mph winds AT the Surface

Sure boss. Cat 2 hurricanes do this to WSR-88D radars

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Several corn fires are still burning in underground seams and might never be put out 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

Ehhhhhhhh I guess to each their own. I had 3-4ft of water in my house and my neighborhood was uninhabitable for many weeks, so once was more than enough for me. 

I know, most NORMAL people think like you, but there are some really big weenies that if they could would climb up on top of the Brooklyn Bridge in the middle of a microburst.

12 minutes ago, SENC said:

MEH...

:lmao: 

I’m so glad you’re here to enlighten us about the Saffir Simpson Scale, when people with doctorates in this field have been lying to us for SO many years. 

14 minutes ago, SENC said:

MEH...

Dude, you seriously need to take a step back.  Go grab a beer and chill for a bit.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KPITSnow said:

Your are the first person I thought of when thinking about experiencing a major disaster so I am glad you chimed in.

Let me ask, if your home would have been destroyed would you feel differently? I know you just BARELY dodged the worst of things.

I'm not sure. I certainly wasn't rooting for it to happen, but at the same time, there's nothing anyone can do to stop it, you know? It's going to do what it's going to do, regardless of how anyone feels about it? Praying/wishing/hoping isn't going to stop it or make it worse. 

My girlfriend's house was destroyed with her in it. It's amazing she survived. We have fled tornado warnings after the tornado happened, so we wouldn't have to experience that again because the anxiety and fear still remain. She still can't go through the "blower" portion of an automatic car wash without plugging her ears and closing her eyes because it takes her back to the tornado. People have to realize that natural disasters can impact people's lives for years, or maybe the rest of their lives, but with that being said, no amount of hoping or wishing for a storm to be worse/less worse is going to change what happens. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jrips27 said:

This can't be a real post. We have no idea how high the surge really got yet in the worst areas.

EF3 tornadoes are 136-165mph. I don't see foundations "wiped clean" in those. You argument is bad.

How is My Arguement BAD? Please Do tell..

Ya'll are shifting goalpost's @ the 10 yard line with w/ .01on the clock w/a a punt..

THE EYE, Lowest pressures) and THE SURGE (wall of water) BY Definition is with-in that......

NOW ya'll are saying.. To the EAST! TO THE EAST!  I shape of the Coast! etc etc etc..

EXCUSES... Is what I'm reading.. 

LOOK,, I've resided ON THE COAST, ON the beach, since the Early 70's..

ALL I'm saying is the SS Scale NEEDS to be revised.. It's Misleading..

NO CAT 4 or 5 came ashore, Maybe at 10K feet it did,, though,, AT the SURFACE?  NO IT DID NOT.. Cat 2 at BEST.. 

Oh but wait! Bonusas points! ( Ya'lls Next excuse) Moving goal-posts..

Either the sensors went down, or It was to the East, in Un-populated area(s).. 

You would think here in this Day & age, A sensor network can be built that won't be "destroyed" in 120 MPH winds.. (Or a few feet of "surge").. 

Muh Cheap arsed GO-pro goes down to 70 feet of water & survives the dip.. AND it's wireless! Real time bottom fishing action! Cost? 30.00... 

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 4

7 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

I know, most NORMAL people think like you, but there are some really big weenies that if they could would climb up on top of the Brooklyn Bridge in the middle of a microburst.

It was “cool” from a meteorological perspective and weenie perspective to see it coming in and witnessing a once in several generation event, but the scale of suffering afterward was beyond anything anyone could imagine. 10 days of no usable water, being left with a couple of pairs of non soaked clothing (if that), weeks without power, digging out from 6-8” of snow the weekend after Sandy with no/little heat!!, cleaning up raw sewage which backed up into most people’s houses in my town, dealing with mold and numerous other problems because of the water, finding a place to live along with 100k other people, gasoline rationing, curfews for over a month, cleaning up everything else the salt water killed or made useless like cars, finding out your homeowner’s policy is essentially worthless, etc etc. Nope once was enough. Incredibly luckily no one from my town died. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JoMo said:

I'm not sure. I certainly wasn't rooting for it to happen, but at the same time, there's nothing anyone can do to stop it, you know? It's going to do what it's going to do, regardless of how anyone feels about it? Praying/wishing/hoping isn't going to stop it or make it worse. 

My girlfriend's house was destroyed with her in it. It's amazing she survived. We have fled tornado warnings after the tornado happened, so we wouldn't have to experience that again because the anxiety and fear still remain. She still can't go through the "blower" portion of an automatic car wash without plugging her ears and closing her eyes because it takes her back to the tornado. People have to realize that natural disasters can impact people's lives for years, or maybe the rest of their lives, but with that being said, no amount of hoping or wishing for a storm to be worse/less worse is going to change what happens. 

You flee warnings?

Honestly, I have often wondered with a really major long lasting tornado if you are better off driving out of its path especially if you have a basic knowledge of how to read a radar. Say you have a 15-20 minute lead time, that is likely more than enough time to get away. I know that if I saw a tornado coming at me from 5 miles away I could like be at least a mile or two out of its path by the time it reached me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SENC said:

Ya'll are shifting goalpost's @ the 10 yard line with w/ .01on the clock w/a a punt..

THE EYE, Lowest pressures) and THE SURGE (wall of water) BY Definition is with-in that......

NOW ya'll are saying.. To the EAST! TO THE EAST!  I shape of the Coast! etc etc etc..

NO CAT 4 or 5 came ashore, Maybe at 10K feet it did,, though,, AT the SURFACE?  NO IT DID NOT.. Cat 2 at BEST.. 

You would think here in this Day & age, A sensor network can be built that won't be "destroyed" in 120 MPH winds.. (Or a few feet of "surge").. 

Muh Cheap arsed GO-pro goes down to 70 feet of water & survives the dip.. AND it's wireless! Real time bottom fishing action! Cost? 30.00... 

You make my head hurt.

• Like 2

this is a lot of words with every little good information. chill out and come back with a cooler head.

• Like 3

Shut up.

8 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Sure boss. Cat 2 hurricanes do this to WSR-88D radars

I can guarantee you, that "Dome" was built paper thin.. Tower is ok,, but the dome isn't..

You know What?

There's a Coast Guard Station Here (Loran Station) STILL Standing,, Domes a 100 feet in the air,, they are still there after Numerous Direct landfalling TC's..

I bet those domes are cheap CHINSE products/construction=FAILURE

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3
  • Weenie 6

On 10/11/2018 at 12:44 AM, SENC said:

Folks might want too imply..

Well look at the "roofs" flying off blah blah.... [/I]

I have a answer too this..

Where "Michael" made "landfall"  was in fact Historic ..

NO Landfall from a "major" much less a Cat 1 or 2 in about 30 years..

Building codes were not in effect for those older homes, they lacked Hurricane straps.. Grandfathered in..

Plenty of Old Mobile Home parks, (For seniors) are/were still there..

Just my 2 cents..

Again this was no stronger than a cat 2, ..

I Have a team put together this evening to prove it so..

Based on DATA.. 

On 10/11/2018 at 1:00 AM, SENC said:

Don't be a grammar Nazi.. as long as I get my point across.. well,,  your a youngin,, I can tell. ALL you youngins, that's what you do, attack, old school Folks..

guess it's the new way of thinking & ciphering I assume,, 

Anyway, you cannot give Me a answer.. those pics ARE from a Cat 3 & 4.. 

We'll  NOT see that tomorrow, via *Ariel's*  because WE ONLY got a strong Cat, 2..

That's it..

NHC isn't *GOD*.. They been "politized" .. 

On 10/10/2018 at 8:53 PM, SENC said:

Lets get too the Hull Truth  This is BANTER RIGHT..??

I'm calling you out.

There was no 155mph sustained wind anywhere on the ground in Michael's path.

There was no 140mph sustained wind anywhere on the ground in Michael's path.

There was no 130mph sustained wind anywhere on the ground in Michael's path.

There were 100-110mph sustained winds.  That's a nasty Cat 2, but not a 4 or 5.

There was a stormchaser on the ground, in a truck, that went through the eyewall and into the eye at Mexico Beach.

I know exactly where he was because I've been over there, (visiting a good friend.)  There were also multiple wind gauge readings in the same vicinity -- 110ish gusts, 90-100mph sustained.  Entirely believable given what I saw happen on several live on that streams watching the eyewall and eye pass over him, but not 155.

At 155 his truck would have been lifted and thrown; AKA Rusty Wallace @ Talladega,,  I would have watched him die on live video.  It didn't happen.

Yes, Mexico Beach and parts of PC got trashed -- mostly by surge.  No big shock there.  But most of those buildings you're seeing have intact roofs.  Not all (there's a fair bit of older stuff over there that was not designed to modern codes) THEY are 30 years old, but most.  And that's important because in a Cat4+ storm there's damn near nothing left; that's an EF3 tornado!

Hurricanes are nasty but let's stop with the bull****.  The video coming in (and the livestreams) do not support Cat 4 or 5 winds -- and neither does the available set of data from wind gauges right at impact.  In the same videos you see someone's roof go flying there's a billboard that's standing proud, tall and undamaged.  That does not happen in a Cat 4 storm.

The reason you board up your house is in evidence right there in those videos.  In a Cat 4 or 5 it does not matter as the entire building, unless it's reinforced concrete or similar, will be flattened.  If you get surged you're screwed.  The reason you board up your house is that in a Cat 1, 2 and moderate 3 if your house and roof is up to code and if you do not get hit with surge it will remain intact right up until the guy down the street, who doesn't have a place up to said code or has a bunch of crap laying around in his yard winds up generating missiles that go through your windows!

The "homes that were there and were moved" and are destroyed are nearly all mobile homes - and there are a lot of them in that area.That's very typical Cat 2 damage; most to all mobile homes will be destroyed in a Cat 2.  They simply cannot take 100mph winds.

Peace out..

Experienced Hurricane Survivor, Since 1969

Just so you guys understand who you're dealing with. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, mappy said:

this is a lot of words with every little good information. chill out and come back with a cooler head.

read above lol. 

• Like 1

Just now, SENC said:

I can guarantee you, that "Dome" was built paper thin.. Tower is ok,, but the dome isn't..

You know What?

There's a Coast Guard Station Here (Loran Station) STILL Standing,, Domes a 100 feet in the air,, they are still there after Numerous Direct landfalling TC's..

I bet those domes are cheap CHINSE products/construction=FAILURE

You're right.  Everyone else is wrong.  Let's move it along.

• Haha 1

those look like some hellish Cat 2 winds. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rjay said:

Just so you guys understood who you're dealing with. 

AND... Dear MOD,ALL due respect, I'll say it now, as I did then, EXCUSES WHERE THIS, Sensors FAILED...  Furthermore, that (area's) of Mexico beach was built to 1950/1960 Building codes.. NOT reinforced Rebar/Concrete, Homes built on SLABS, NO Anchors, NOR "hurricane Straps" in the Construction.. in 95% of those homes that got Wiped.. THAT is a fact.. Old building codes, = destruction..    

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Weenie 5

nope not going to get into coronavirus here. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

You flee warnings?

Honestly, I have often wondered with a really major long lasting tornado if you are better off driving out of its path. Say you have a 15-20 minute lead time, that is likely more than enough time to get away.

It's not much different than those who left the path of the hurricane, just less of a warning time. I wouldn't recommend it for most people as they don't know how to use radar, computer models etc... I have a cousin who lives in Ft. Polk, LA  and he and his family are staying in Dallas for the week, and my gf's mom's boyfriend's daughter lives in Beaumont and she relocated about 3 hours away, somewhere in Texas. 

Most of the time we get lines of storms, so there's typically no fleeing, but there have been a few times where we got supercells. It's easy to drive around the supercells or we will 'hop' the dryline/front and get behind it before storms fire so we don't have to experience the storms. 

• Like 1