• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    David herry
    Newest Member
    David herry

Major Hurricane Laura

30 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

What is your deal? Isn't it better to overprepare?

He always has a little hard on against ‘hype’. It’s his M.O. to pick it apart. Does it with weather, covid...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Unless people have no idea what this area is like, not sure why it's so hard to understand. It's miles and miles of swamps with a few small towns. 

Exactly. I have lived in Louisiana all my life and I have worked in the Disaster Recovery field since Katrina. After Rita there was a lot of land requisition done by FEMA in those areas in Cameron Parish and some in Calcasieu Parish. Rita literally wiped that area off the map and what it didn't destroy, Ike finished in 2008 while most were still recovering from Rita. After Ike whatever was rebuilt was done to a higher elevation and to a higher standard than the IBC required. 

There will be some who lost their camps, homes, and livestock but the entire SW LA was really spared for the most part when you look at the forecast regarding the surge. I feel for everyone who was in the path of the storm but if that storm made landfall 60-70 miles further east or west, it truly could have been catastrophic for major infrastructure and areas of higher population.

• Like 2

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

He always has a little hard on against ‘hype’. It’s his M.O. to pick it apart. Does it with weather, covid...

Rarely do things live up to the hype Luke. Just pointing that out. I guess everybody had an issue with it...no problem.  I certainly don’t need to see destruction pics at all...that’s not me at all. Just pointed out some points...and the sheep went nuts. Moving on. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 6

calling people sheep will surely help 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Rarely do things live up to the hype Luke. Just pointing that out. I guess everybody had an issue with it...no problem.  I certainly don’t need to see destruction pics at all...that’s not me at all. Just pointed out some points...and the sheep went nuts. Moving on. 

There is zero reason to not fully prepare for a worst case scenario for a major cyclone. If I lived there I would evacuate and pray I come back to no damage...and would never berate the experts that they ‘blew it’ should my home be upright and not flooded. I’m puzzled by the Monday morning QBing, tbh. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

its no man's land in that area in pretty sure...

You're right. No one is talking about damage in Creole or Grand Chenier...because they haven't gotten there yet and they're very isolated from the rest of the state. Those communities, which are 3 miles inland, are likely where the surge was the worst. This storm hit at a very fortunate location--regarding storm surge--straight on with Cameron and Lake Charles instead of further to the west where it was forecasted to land. 

What folks are forgetting that are complaining about the difference between forecast is that the the storm didn't follow the forecasted path. Also, several of the storm chasers were in areas either directly on from the hurricane or to the west where winds would be lesser in the northwestern quadrant. I haven't seen many reports of stormchasers that were east of Lake Charles where the winds likely were the worst and the storm surge was likely the worst. The reason for that? The area is "no man's land" for the most part. There are a handful of oil and gas facilities and small communities that support them. We will see what sort of damage they experienced..

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Are all of your 6000+ posts this insufferably whiny?

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Surge may have been limited by the fact that Laura ramped up on approach, so we didn't have a lot of time to pile it up as a major storm.

It seems surge often underperforms when storms come in at an angle instead of hitting the coast head on. The bend of the coast compared to the track of the storm helped keep much of the winds and momentum moving horizontal to the coastline vs coming in full force. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, psuhoffman said:

It seems surge often underperforms when storms come in at an angle instead of hitting the coast head on. The bend of the coast compared to the track of the storm helped keep much of the winds and momentum moving horizontal to the coastline vs coming in full force. 

Lake Charles being on the north side and not the east side of the eye helped. 15miles west and WinterWolfie would be less grumpier this morning. 

• Haha 2

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Lake Charles being on the north side and not the east side of the eye helped. 15miles west and WinterWolfie would be less grumpier this morning. 

He needs to let out a howl...scratch his neck with his leg...and he'll feel better.

• Haha 8

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

There is zero reason to not fully prepare for a worst case scenario for a major cyclone. If I lived there I would evacuate and pray I come back to no damage...and would never berate the experts that they ‘blew it’ should my home be upright and not flooded. I’m puzzled by the Monday morning QBing, tbh. 

I said nothing about not preparing at all.  Tbh I’m puzzled where you and others got that from. The only point was that some things at least currently, didn’t seem to happen (fortunately) that we’re called to happen.   And that’s the only point.  And everybody went into all this other crap nonsense.  

Whatever!  It’s not that important in the grand scheme of things. Was just a talking point. 

• Weenie 5

8 minutes ago, mappy said:

As far as I am aware, nobody has been able to even get close to being out that way yet. The road, LA-27, that leads you into that area appears shut down (impassable?) starting at Cameron atleast according to Google Maps. Little uneasy as to what people begin to find when they can get there.

10 minutes ago, mappy said:

And we have no reports from the area yet but somehow the storm surge definitely underperformed.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, geddyweather said:

As far as I am aware, nobody has been able to even get close to being out that way yet. The road, LA-27, that leads you into that area appears shut down (impassable?) starting at Cameron atleast according to Google Maps. Little uneasy as to what people begin to find when they can get there.

Just now, Rjay said:

And we have no reports from the area yet but somehow the storm surge definitely underperformed.

Yup. The Lt. Gov of LA is on with the Weather Channel now. Said he and the governor are set to fly over the area this afternoon. Also confirmed at least one fatality. But I didn't catch where. 

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

Yup. The Lt. Gov of LA is on with the Weather Channel now. Said he and the governor are set to fly over the area this afternoon. Also confirmed at least one fatality. But I didn't catch where. 

Fatality was a 14 year old in Leesville.  A tree fell on their home.

https://www.nola.com/news/hurricane/article_de8eae02-e867-11ea-8742-cb02f10eaa71.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitternoladotcom&utm_campaign=snd

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

25 minutes ago, jbcmh81 said:

Are all of your 6000+ posts this insufferably whiny?

Actually in the sne subforum he's whinerwolf, king of complaints

• Haha 1

lol @ anyone already claiming the storm didn't live up to the hype... If you've learned anything by now, you should know that it usually take quite some time to receive any imagery/videos from the worst impacted areas.