• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Possible FF, Iso SVR NJ-LI Noon WED 8/12-Noon FRI 8/14

wdrag

552PM update: reports attached for our area.  Once the convection subsides by 10PM,  it should retire, in potentially heavier manner between 4AM and Noon Thursday...again mostly NJ/LI but can't rule out brief development into se NYS/CT.  IF for some reason this is erroneous, then afternoon convection will occur. It's one or the other but from what I can tell, a significant Thursday morning event is coming. 

The greatest threat for tiny areas of excessive 4+ inch rain Thursday appears to be the southern edge of the forum up to I78 in NJ and include LI. No surprises if several FFW's are needed for this area and even isolated SVR's. Frontal boundary, WAA in the lower layers with weak wsw steering current and PWAT near 2" leads me to thinking we've a busy Thursday ahead. 558P/12

Screen_Shot_2020-08-12_at_5_43.19_PM.png

• Thanks 2

Good Thursday morning everyone with interest in Heavy Rain, several FF warnings and isolated SVR's for NJ I78 southward and LI. No guarantees. 

Subtle areas of surface lift will be the drivers the next day or two. 

Small groups of heavy showers have popped near EWR and se CT since 130 AM.  These are along what I see as somewhat defined boundary of drier dew points in extreme nw NJ (Wantage dew point 63 at dawn), se NYS and n CT.  This boundary is probably the focus this morning-midday. I expect heavy showers and thunderstorms to become more numerous by 10AM across parts of LI and in NJ I78 region southward into Monmouth County.  We'll see how this goes.  Plenty of instability is available along this dry-moist boundary along with PWAT 2". Won't take much for intense short duration rainfall. 

This afternoon, wind shifts further south down in Ocean County to Mercer County will focus heavy convection there where a FF Watch is posted.

By the time activity dies out around 9PM this evening 'isolated' 4" rainfall should have occurred. The worst this morning is probably LI with the concentration of heavy convection shifting to mostly central NJ s of I78 during mid afternoon. 

Friday:  Renewed activity is expected by Noon in NJ-LI, but PWAT should be 4 tenths of an inch less so the chance of 4" rainfall diminishes tho is not completely zero.

Will try to reevaluate at times today as convection-modeling unfolds.  559A/13

8AM reports...~0.93 S Amboy earlier this morning and in the past hour many 1-2" reports Mercer County NJ east. Includes 2.24" in the vicinity of Princeton.   Checked Rutgers and CoCORAHS.  None capture the bigger amounts seen on Wxunderground and radar storm totals as well as NYC CLI sites. Attached early reports from CcCORAHS as of ~8A.  These totals would be from 1130A yesterday to 8AM this morning. 

Screen_Shot_2020-08-13_at_8_15.00_AM.png

HRDPS and HRRR 06z, 11z have no clue on what's going on this morning.  NAM/RGEM have a sense but ~ 30 MI too far north (probably), UK has an idea but maybe a tough too far south. DIX radar seems  to be underestimating rainfall as both digital STP from OKX/DIX.  

• Like 2

Seems to be calming down at 1030A.  

Don't know how this evolves this afternoon. Usually different areas of coverage if and where it refires.  

DCA-Ches Bay complex  throwing lots of clouds northeast and that may minimize some of the potential refire up here mid afternoon.

From my perspective... wherever it becomes obvious it can heat to 80+ with dew point more than 70 and surface wind convergence, are areas to monitor in NJ/LI. 

Max so far today seems to be 2.4 near Princeton.   No more posts from me for a while til am sure of something. 1038A/13

Arghhh. activity extreme ne NJ into extreme se NYS and along LI Sound bordering coastal CT running a little north of where I thought there might be some problems from the past two days of posts.  That in mind,  heavy rains (possible new FFW over urban areas) will occur where they are now at 1135A and possibly advance northward between now and 130PM. 

Meanwhile,  unsure on the remainder of the evolution over NJ/LI but seeing the Ches Bay complex activate south Jersey.  How far north does it go?  Modeling suggests to central NJ by 4P but uncertainty in a fairly potent heavy rain situation that lacks typical large scale cool season synoptic organization.

Enjoy the processes and any reports of 4+ inch rainfall totals from the past 25 hours (started 1130A yesterday), please relay them here.  Thanks. Walt  1140A/13

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Arghhh. activity extreme ne NJ into extreme se NYS and along LI Sound bordering coastal CT running a little north of where I thought there might be some problems from the past two days of posts.  That in mind,  heavy rains (possible new FFW over urban areas) will occur where they are now at 1135A and possibly advance northward between now and 130PM. 

Meanwhile,  unsure on the remainder of the evolution over NJ/LI but seeing the Ches Bay complex activate south Jersey.  How far north does it go?  Modeling suggests to central NJ by 4P but uncertainty in a fairly potent heavy rain situation that lacks typical large scale cool season synoptic organization.

Enjoy the processes and any reports of 4+ inch rainfall totals from the past 25 hours (started 1130A yesterday), please relay them here.  Thanks. Walt  1140A/13

It does look like that Chesapeake complex is crawling along the front towards CNJ.

28 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Just lost power 

5 minutes ago, STORMANLI said:

Just lost power again after it was fully restored 15 hrs ago.  Rainfall so far is 0.76"-prior to today only 0.02" had fallen since Isaias- so it's not all bad.

Power co est return to service 11pm

any wind?