Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 10 Severe Weather

Chicago Storm

23 hours ago, hlcater said:

You're gonna want to watch these 3 videos. They are the most impressive out of any of the video I've seen so far and are easily on par with a significant, perhaps major, hurricane. MANY gusts over 100mph and the sustained winds are the highest I've seen out of any video.

Extremely impressive vids.  The aftermath videos showing huge amounts of tree debris in front of literally every residence is amazing as well.  

These vids were shot on Pine Wood Drive NE in northern Cedar Rapids, pretty close to Hiawatha.  The church losing it's roof is River of Life Church.

dfd.jpg

Church viewed from the northwest side.

vvvv.jpg

• Thanks 1

Just now, Hoosier said:

Whoa, that is pretty cool.  Probably on the order of what you would see in some hurricanes as the eyewall moves in.  

I checked and it's actually way, way greater. For instance, Josh's censors in Michael at Panama City peaked at ~1.5mb/min. This is 3.0-3.5mb/min, obviously. I'm interested in the context of a reading like that relative to other MCVs/Derechoes so I've been looking for comparable data, particularly BAMEX.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hlcater said:

I checked and it's actually way, way greater. For instance, Josh's censors in Michael at Panama City peaked at ~1.5mb/min. This is 3.0-3.5mb/min, obviously. I'm interested in the context of a reading like that relative to other MCVs/Derechoes so I've been looking for comparable data, particularly BAMEX.

Interesting.  Would've thought that high end hurricanes had a faster drop than that.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hlcater said:

As did I, my guess is that due to the scale of the MCV feature, the average gradient generated by an MCV w/strong RIJ is somewhere in between a hurricane and a tornado.

Out of curiosity I went back and checked the obs from Laura in Lake Charles.  It may not have captured the maximum pressure drop rate there since the sensor failed at 132 mph in the eyewall, but they dropped 23 mb in 1 hour.  This was 25 mb in about one tenth of the time.    

Maybe some of the most intense hurricanes have a quicker drop rate than what Josh experienced, but this derecho was something else.  We know about the extreme pressure drops that can occur in tornadoes (even within seconds) but I never thought an MCS was capable of something this dramatic.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

Out of curiosity I went back and checked the obs from Laura in Lake Charles.  It may not have captured the maximum pressure drop rate there since the sensor failed at 132 mph in the eyewall, but they dropped 23 mb in 1 hour.  This was 25 mb in about one tenth of the time.    

Maybe some of the most intense hurricanes have a quicker drop rate than what Josh experienced, but this derecho was something else.  We know about the extreme pressure drops that can occur in tornadoes (even within seconds) but I never thought an MCS was capable of something this dramatic.

There's an excellent dataset on wunderground, except it doesn't appear as if any of the PWSs in Benton/Linn actually have data stored for 8/10, go figure.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Talk in the storm thread reminded me that I should update that the damage total is now up to 11 billion in NOAA's final 2020 analysis.
https://cbs2iowa.com/news/local/derecho-damage-adjusted-to-11-billion
Astounding when you consider that it wasn't as bad as it could have been out this way. Had it maintained the massive descending RIJ driven blowdown structure across northern Illinois instead of transitioning to prolific QLCS mesovortex tornado producer, there's no telling how much higher the damage number would've gotten.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 4