• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 10 Severe Weather

Chicago Storm

First time poster, but have been following the forum for a couple years. I grew up in Metro Detroit but have lived in Chicago about 10 years. I'm mainly interested in the winter storms and chasing some good snow, so its counterintuitive that my first post would be in August.

Thought this shot from Lakeview (Wayne & Byron) was worth posting with the smashed car and multiple trees down.

In terms of damage this storm actually reminded me a lot of one I experienced in northern Michigan in July 1995. I looked it up and it hit the far north of the forum, if this is the right storm.

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/misc/AbtDerechos/casepages/jul1995derechopage.htm

20200814_211711.jpg

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, hlcater said:

I suspect there may have been gusts that exceeded 120mph in spots. We'll never know though because DVN isnt surveying for some reason...

Unfortunately we don't have any active participants on this site from DVN like in the past.  I'm sure they browse the site and lurk in the shadows, but aren't members.  Would be interested to see why there won't be any surveying. 

• Like 2

Guest ovweather
33 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Here is a good video from Cedar Rapids.  The intensity builds throughout.  The tree in the foreground gets taken out around the 14 minute mark and the overall landscape gets transformed quite a bit from beginning to end. 

Incredible video. If one didn’t know any better, they would think they were watching a landfalling major hurricane. The wind just keeps going for almost the entire 30 minutes of that video. We usually think of thunderstorm winds lasting seconds to a few minutes, but these derechos are different beasts. Heartbreaking to see the tree damage, not to mention all the wildlife that lives in the trees that most likely died.

I'm still quite surprised that the disaster declaration on the federal side hasn't been approved yet for Iowa & Illinois. This is an absolute mess for several cities and countless farms. 

Surely this will be Iowa's most expensive non-flooding related natural disaster. 

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Here is a good video from Cedar Rapids.  The intensity builds throughout.  The tree in the foreground gets taken out around the 14 minute mark and the overall landscape gets transformed quite a bit from beginning to end. 

Incredible video.  Like so many have stated, it looks like you're watching hurricane video due to the longevity of it.  

Besides the wind being much stronger, another big difference between there and here was how much more heavy rain was falling simultaneous with the very high winds.  Here it was mostly light rain during 80% of the highest winds.

EDIT:  That gust at 16:17 was incredible.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I'll take a hard pass on that. What a mess.

• Like 1

Guest ovweather

I don't know if anyone is familiar with this book, but it's a popular photo book that's been featured in the media around the country. The book is about a lone Burr oak tree in a field in southwest Wisconsin (Platteville). The photographer, Mark Hirsch, documented this oak tree every single day for a year in 2012 turning the photos into a beautiful coffee-table book that sold tens of thousands of copies. The tree had become very popular and received visitors from around the world, too. Sadly, last week's derecho leveled / destroyed That Tree.

OIP.Q13avRxQVULRqEp4scUKWwHaHa.jpg

20 minutes ago, Natester said:

NWS DVN found damage consistent to a category 4 hurricane in Linn County.  Winds were up to 130 mph.  Of course, I doubt there was ever a derecho that produced winds in the category 5 range.  130 mph is almost as high the winds in a derecho can go.

130 mph is certainly higher end and doesn't come around often.  I have heard of cases of 140-150 mph straight line winds in derecho or more localized microburst but even that is a short of cat 5 hurricane.   

4 hours ago, Natester said:

NWS DVN found damage consistent to a category 4 hurricane in Linn County.  Winds were up to 130 mph.  Of course, I doubt there was ever a derecho that produced winds in the category 5 range.  130 mph is almost as high the winds in a derecho can go.

Amazing.  

New info from the DVN page..

A swath of damage from Benton County, through portions of Linn, Jones, and Cedar Counties, is consistent with intermittent winds in the 110-130 mph range. A radio transmission tower north of Marion, Iowa in Linn County collapsed, due to straight line winds estimated around 130 mph. This speed would be equivalent to a strong EF2 tornado. The maximum measured wind gust was 112 mph at Midway, Iowa in Linn County. One storm-related fatality has been reported so far.

That area where 130 mph winds were estimated north of Marion is right where the highest velocities showed up on that radar time lapse I made the other day.  So it was actually even worse just north of Cedar Rapids.  If that would have moved through the heart of CR things could have been even worse, which is pretty crazy to think about.

Amazing.  
New info from the DVN page..
A swath of damage from Benton County, through portions of Linn, Jones, and Cedar Counties, is consistent with intermittent winds in the 110-130 mph range. A radio transmission tower north of Marion, Iowa in Linn County collapsed, due to straight line winds estimated around 130 mph. This speed would be equivalent to a strong EF2 tornado. The maximum measured wind gust was 112 mph at Midway, Iowa in Linn County. One storm-related fatality has been reported so far.

That area where 130 mph winds were estimated north of Marion is right where the highest velocities showed up on that radar time lapse I made the other day.  So it was actually even worse just north of Cedar Rapids.  If that would have moved through the heart of CR things could have been even worse, which is pretty crazy to think about.

You lucked out or missed out, depending on your line of thinking.

On 8/16/2020 at 5:45 PM, Hoosier said:

I didn't even know something like this was possible. Sustained winds at that level for 30+ minutes for a thunderstorm. Just incredible event. Like some have mentioned, it looks like a hurricane coming closer as the intensity builds. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I didn't even know something like this was possible. Sustained winds at that level for 30+ minutes for a thunderstorm. Just incredible event. Like some have mentioned, it looks like a hurricane coming closer as the intensity builds. 

That gust at 16:15 is just incredible.  That had to be over 100mph.  I've watched that part of the vid numerous times and the gust hits so hard it almost sends chills down my spine.