• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 10 Severe Weather

Chicago Storm

Good thing that tornado warned part of the storm that went through Union Grove, WI has only been indicated to be straight line winds so far.  UMB Wx and I almost chose a park about 3 miles ENE to be our viewing spot.  Would’ve been really nervewracking being stuck in the heavy convection not knowing if an actual tornado was rain-wrapped in it.

Clocked in Cedar Rapids. Rode it out in a corn field north of walford where I experienced 100mph wind gusts as the MCV intensified to the north. This is the same axis of damaging wind that came thru Cedar Rapids moving NE. I’ll leave a few pics for now. Worst storm I’ve ever experienced. Still without power and cell signal(1 bar LTE currently). I’ll post more when I can. For now here’s a few.

https://imgur.com/a/Ezml1sS

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

At least casualties were kept to a minimum... considering the large area impacted.  Last I saw there were 2 deaths and less than 10 injuries reported.  Generally speaking it seems like the warnings got out quickly, as they should when you have such an obvious thing on radar. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Images of the flattened corn in Iowa reminds me of the images of flattened pines in the Boundary Waters after the July 4th 1999 derecho. 

A friend of mine was in that in the BWCA when that happened. He thought he was gonna die. Trees coming down all around him. But his coffee cup never moved off the stump it was on. Crazy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There were probably tornadoes in the DVN CWA, but when the background winds were similar to what you’d find in a QLCS tor, I have to imagine that’s hard to find.

MV’s were not as predominant until the character of the derecho changed as it existed the DVN CWA, so I’m not sure there would have been many.

• Like 1

Late reply here.  Trees in the backyard are shredded, as with all of the trees in the neighborhood.  No damage to the house asides 3 broken windows.  I don't anticipate getting power back until at least Saturday or Sunday.  Got battery powered fans and non perishable food from Waterloo Walmart yesterday.  Also, very glad that we still have running water.

Alliant is going to have a field day taking care of that cluster of shredded trees that brought down power lines behind the house.  At least no power poles were snapped near where I live.  Worst storm that I've ever been through.

• Like 3

(Another late post from a distant casual observer)

So Monday around 1pm, I went to my fav storm watching spot in far NW Dane Co, WI (1,100 ft elev). Views to the east, south and west seemed to be constantly filled with low clouds. And it was eerily quiet and hot and humid. Then on radar I could see (and hear) that storms were beginning to scrape by, just to my south. Although I could see close lightning strikes, the thunder had that muffled, constant, highly elevated quality I associate with hail and other severe weather. Only I’d never heard that kind of thunder from more than one area in the sky like that before. Then these layers of turbulent clouds started rolling out to the north. And
I don’t remember ever seeing layer upon layer like that before either. It was definitely crazy from a distance so I can’t even imagine what it was like up close! So continued thoughts with those impacted!!!

F165E99B-6916-4E65-8140-5A50D5F827DB.thumb.jpeg.3f61d0d457deec4b0f70a429dc990d0e.jpeg

A07AFD31-BF24-4237-A89F-245AB4EA3C0A.thumb.jpeg.c714157a355a5bbec89e380b5b84fe3f.jpeg

• Like 4

Night #3 without power.  At least it's cool and dry at night so fresh cool air blows in the windows.  The Sat estimate for restoration has been changed to Fri.  Sounds like many areas around including much of the QC is already back in power so I'm hoping when I get home from work tomorrow it's back.

• Like 2

It seems these high-end derechos are quite difficult to forecast ahead of time. The truly remarkable ones like this often come out of nowhere. Yet when it seems conditions will be very supportive of one, with several days of high outlook probabilities and apocalyptic wording (sometimes culminating in a 60% hatched high risk for wind), the resulting event seldom if ever seems to live up to the potential.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Night #3 without power.  At least it's cool and dry at night so fresh cool air blows in the windows.  The Sat estimate for restoration has been changed to Fri.  Sounds like many areas around including much of the QC is already back in power so I'm hoping when I get home from work tomorrow it's back.

jinx :cry:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1