Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 10 Severe Weather

Chicago Storm

12 minutes ago, NEILwxbo said:

Has the potential to be one of the more widespread wind events N IL has seen in many years 

Agree.  I was thinking back on August derechos specifically in the past 10-20 years, and this one looks like it has a chance to be at or near the top of list.  

A lot of extracurricular activity happening on the streets of Chicago and even spilling into northwest IN.  Hopefully people who are outside are aware of the wx situation later.

Just now, Hoosier said:

Agree.  I was thinking back on August derechos specifically in the past 10-20 years, and this one looks like it has a chance to be at or near the top of list.  

A lot of extracurricular activity happening on the streets of Chicago and even spilling into northwest IN.  Hopefully people who are outside are aware of the wx situation later.

Hopefully all the looted businesses in the loop reinforce that plywood covering the windows...

4 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Hopefully all the looted businesses in the loop reinforce that plywood covering the windows...

per police scanner reports still going on ...but in other areas of the city (isolated) 

widespread power outages might not help as night falls

https://twitter.com/search?q=chicagoscanner&src=recent_search_click&f=live

2 minutes ago, janetjanet998 said:

trying to recall the highest wind gusts i have seen out of these systems

121 MPH for some reason my brain spits out,,not sure if that is correct ..

I believe Michigan had 120-130 MPH wind gusts during the May 30/31st 1998 Derecho.  I lived in mid-Michigan at the time and to this day that is the worst storm I have ever experienced.  Those winds were at 4:00-5:00 am too.  

Just now, jut05 said:

I believe Michigan had 120-130 MPH wind gusts during the May 30/31st 1998 Derecho.  I lived in mid-Michigan at the time and to this day that is the worst storm I have ever experienced.  Those winds were at 4:00-5:00 am too.  

I believe AWG was 126 mph in the June 1998 derecho. 

4 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

There was more looting in Chicago? What in the heck I thought we were all passed that by now.

This could really be historic here, the entire state of Iowa basically doesn't have power, and this thing has basically turned into a Category 2 Land-icane heading straight for the 3rd largest metro area in America

• Like 1
  • Weenie 3

This is Hawkeye in Cedar Rapids.  It’s a damn war zone here.  I lost my tree, fence, and garden.  Trees are trashed everywhere.  My neighbor’s 60 ft maple was sheared right off halfway up.  We got 50 mph sustained, with gusts to 100, for 30+ minutes.  It was unreal.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Amped said:

They put out a PDS watch.   Don't see how the high risk designation does much to improve the the threat communication.

A high risk for Chicago would undoubtedly grab headlines. PDS watch is obviously needed and helps convey the significance of the threat, but this is literally the reason a high risk is a thing. Obviously they could upgrade at 2000z, but a special update is warranted imo.