Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Isaias

wxeyeNH

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

We had a hurricane simulation drill when I was employed by the Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation. They brought in experts from the Met community and insurance risk people. A 38 hurricane would be a 3 month outage with massive disruption to the economic flow of goods and services.  Many of the recommendations like mandatory generators at gas stations and extensive utility infrastructure upgrades were never put in place. 

After the Hurricanes in 2005 I believe FL mandated that all new gas stations must have fixed generators and after Irma all long term facilities and nursing homes must have Generators.

The state of FL promotes having a Hurricane/Disaster plan and kit ready and does a tax free week just before Hurricane season to buy Hurricane related supplies tax free. 

Many people bust on FL for different things and rightly slow but the have their shite together regarding storm prep and response 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Modfan2 said:

After the Hurricanes in 2005 I believe FL mandated that all new gas stations must have fixed generators and after Irma all long term facilities and nursing homes must have Generators.

The state of FL promotes having a Hurricane/Disaster plan and kit ready and does a tax free week just before Hurricane season to buy Hurricane related supplies tax free. 

Many people bust on FL for different things and rightly slow but the have their shite together regarding storm prep and response 

Andrew prompted building codes that seem to help too.  When repairing the damage after Charley I had to get multiple inspections.  They do actually care about enforcement.

Two years after Andrew, the first post-Andrew version of the South Florida Building Code was published, and it focused on wind resistance and roof integrity, according to the Sun Sentinel. Improved roofing standards were among the first provisions, as well as impact-resistant windows or hurricane shutters on new buildings. In addition, cheaper materials like particle board were prohibited.

The first statewide building code took effect in 2002 and continues to serve as the basis of the state's building code, the Sun Sentinel reported. It superseded local codes, while also incorporating the stronger Borward and Miami-Dade County provisions.

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

We had a hurricane simulation drill when I was employed by the Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation. They brought in experts from the Met community and insurance risk people. A 38 hurricane would be a 3 month outage with massive disruption to the economic flow of goods and services.  Many of the recommendations like mandatory generators at gas stations and extensive utility infrastructure upgrades were never put in place. 

Yup, widespread damage and likely complete destruction of the power distribution system.  Losing those big lines means that even when things are repaired locally there's still no power.  It takes a huge amount of labor and materials to get things back all the way.  We were out for around a month after Charley but that storm hit a very localized area with better preparedness and much lower population and population density than coastal NE.

Gas stations here that sell x amount of gallons of gas are mandated to have gennys.The way they restore power down here is the most customers                                                                             that are out on 1 line goes first than the 1 house that is in the sticks is last.

35 minutes ago, bobbutts said:

Andrew prompted building codes that seem to help too.  When repairing the damage after Charley I had to get multiple inspections.  They do actually care about enforcement.

Correct, codes changed in 2006 and you can buy “Dade Rated” (Dade County) windows, Doors, and Garage doors

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Looks like they are chipping away in DIT's area of N/C CT, Tolland County looks to have the biggest improvements.

Also must be working hard and focused on clearing up that zone from Wallingford to Trumbull.

That's still a lot of outages for 4+ full days after the storm.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.9a1cbc6036e6c78269b739bb1a97f63a.jpg

That Wallingford to Trumbull corridor is actually served by United Illuminating. They've had problems of their own.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That would make more sense, it seemed like a stark contrast from the rest of the state.

They did way better Eversource. UI had more crews on standby. Eversource just said they were not prepared. I saw a comparison for New Haven County between UI and Eversource. Wasn’t even close.

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

They did way better Eversource. UI had more crews on standby. Eversource just said they were not prepared. I saw a close apples to apples comparison for New Haven County. Wasn’t even close.

Crazy.  I mean it gets to be a big deal at this point to still not have power from Tuesday.  

Did anyone call for “extensive and extended power outages” from the met community with this storm? This one will be memorable for the people of CT.  With modeled low level jet, when do we believe it (vs plenty of cry wolf scenarios) and do we grasp how easily the electric grid can be interrupted?

We got our power back around 4:00 today so we went basically 96 hours without.....now while Everworst really did shit themselves regarding the early response and crew staging before the storm what are the one or two things that cause the most difficulty in restoration even if they had done everything right?  Seems to me pinpointing location of actual damage and prioritizing repair to get the most bang out the repair are just really hard especially with the chaos of trees and debris and identifying stuff....reading incomplete maps that are 75 years old....or incomplete outage reports from customers.....it must be really hard....

The technology these days must exist where the system can pinpoint damage....or where it monitors the grid and maps out what circuits have dropped off.....

It can’t be easy.....like a TS in Florida equal to Isais - what do they do down there that would be so much better?

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I told our followers it may take longer for power to be restored because of the pandemic, but not because of outright incompetence...

I’m one of them. 

The pandemic really is a non player. I watched all summer long as crews installed a couple dozen new poles on my street. They also trimmed pole side as they went along.  No masks worked in groups. If the pandemic was an issue Mass and RI wouldn't have 100% power. Its an excuse.  Bucket work is a one man job. These guys and gals have been working all summer. The problem is coordinating and as pointed out earlier the main employees for coordinating emergency response retired and cronies were put in. Can't wait for Marissa  Gillet to kick some ass

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

169K still in Ct wow

Brother and sister in law were told by Eversource, that they are waiting for a part to be delivered before they can restore their power.  No idea when and how long that will take.  Mother and father in law in the same town got their power back on Friday night.  Friend of my wife who lives in another part of colchester is also without power still.  Shit show by eversource.

I used this $500 Harbor Freight inverter generator for 3 days straight and then gave it to my mom. Its supposedly an exact clone of a Honda unit. It has a 1 gallon tank and sips fuel. Was getting 8-10 hours off a tank. Ran my fridge, lights, tv, window ac, etc. 

Get one if you don't own one. Worth every penny.

Screenshot_20200809-095916_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

I'm even seeing some of that five miles inland in Hamden. My car also had a very light coating of salt when I drove home on Tuesday.

Even some here. I mentioned it the other day. Been a wholesale change in the forest,  woodlands this week. Need rain as well 

4 hours ago, Hoth said:

I'm even seeing some of that five miles inland in Hamden. My car also had a very light coating of salt when I drove home on Tuesday.

That's impressive it went that far inland. Its really bad along the shoreline in Branford. All the oaks are like completely brown. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, 512high said:

I had no idea that many out without power, I guess on a bright note, thank god it wasn't winter with temps etc.However, I don't know what is worse the dews and high temps? Best of luck to the ones still with out

I rather no heat in the winter.. you can always put more cloths on

• Like 2

11 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I told our followers it may take longer for power to be restored because of the pandemic, but not because of outright incompetence...

I’m one of them. 

You have to wonder if the next time BOX issues a High Wind Warning or something, do they issue different statements for RI/MA as one and then CT as another... putting wording in with the CT advisory that sounds more like Katrina is coming "Winds may gust to 60mph, resulting in widespread power outages and critical grid failure.  Be prepared to be without power for up to a week."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

You have to wonder if the next time BOX issues a High Wind Warning or something, do they issue different statements for RI/MA as one and then CT as another... putting wording in with the CT advisory that sounds more like Katrina is coming "Winds may gust to 60mph, resulting in widespread power outages and critical grid failure.  Be prepared to be without power for up to a week."

:lol: 

5 hours ago, Hoth said:

Looks like fall here when your on a boat and looking to the north.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

:lol: 

I mean I'm only half joking, mostly joking, but I still think it's a consideration given recent history... we keep thinking all the weak trees have been taken out, going back a decade ago, but then another event hits and CT gets crushed with power outages. 

For a meteorologist right now down in CT, it seems like it would be difficult to give the message if you think the power outage impact could be much more severe than the recorded wind speeds might suggest.  Conveying this type of society interruption from the storm... like what would we or the public have said if a Met was talking about widespread week long power outages from Isaias 24 hours ahead of time?  How many folks would've even considered that.