Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Isaias

wxeyeNH

12 hours ago, powderfreak said:

That’s wild!  25 yards wide and 50 yards in length but enough to rip a roof off a house and destroy the supporting walls on second floor if I’m reading that right?

Talk about incredibly unlucky for that homeowner.

His house is still in the middle of the street 

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That was hilarious. We on day 5. I saw probably 50 trucks from Decatur , Illinois last night on my way to pick up dinner at the Eversource building in town . Apparently they dispersed them elsewhere. I think one of the issues here is the one on 74 looks like the primaries are all shot and the pole is split. 

Dude I posted in the other thread. They have a crew sitting outside my daughter's house watching so no one goes near a live line on Rt 138. 5 days now, 12 hour shifts just sitting.  

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Dude I posted in the other thread. They have a crew sitting outside my daughter's house watching so no one goes near a live line on Rt 138. 5 days now, 12 hour shifts just sitting.  

On my run this morning I ran down 74 and I counted 14 utility trucks that passed me on their way back to Eversource. They drove right past the pole/ tree on lines, so I’m guessing it’s gotta be a bigger job.  They have this massive staging area . It’s on Tolland side of Vernon line. There must have been 100 trucks sitting in that lot last night. The Illinois trucks were all parked in a commercial lot with restaurants and stores. Guys just standing there with hands in pockets drinking sodas and coffees. 

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Basically not prepared and also statewide. Not a good combo. But when looking at the outage maps. Adjacent MA and RI counties looked much better. The wind just didn’t stop there either. 

SECT and SRI didn't however get the big winds but I get your point. Interesting look around the state and you can see by the damage paths clear locations of outer bands with embedded circulations. I have now seen 2 storms basically exactly the same.  Wether they are called tornadoes or not these outer bands winds have a swirling circulation . I watched as my trees whipped from one direction to the other over and over. My anemometers swung direction rapidly.  My traces on my graphs are crazy with wind direction 

Screenshot_20200808-075154_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

On my run this morning I ran down 74 and I counted 14 utility trucks that passed me on their way back to Eversource. They drove right past the pole/ tree on lines, so I’m guessing it’s gotta be a bigger job.  They have this massive staging area . It’s on Tolland side of Vernon line. There must have been 100 trucks sitting in that lot last night. The Illinois trucks were all parked in a commercial lot with restaurants and stores. Guys just standing there with hands in pockets drinking sodas and coffees. 

I talked to a Asplund tree guy. He said it's mass confusion with no direction. Apparently the main guys who coordinated crews retired and some of the guys left are clueless and only got the jobs because they were connected. ClusterF

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

The winds def were not just coming from one direction even here.  Whipping in all directions at the surface. Very interesting storm here in New England.  

Trees went down in 2 directions here. First from the south/SSE and then when the sun came out the strongest gusts were out of the SW

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Trees went down in 2 directions here. First from the south/SSE and then when the sun came out the strongest gusts were out of the SW

The pictures I posted in my hood have trees lying in both directions as you said. Even though we power I can here gennys humming all through the hood. Lots of people live deep in the woods with 1/4 mile driveways.

33 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I talked to a Asplund tree guy. He said it's mass confusion with no direction. Apparently the main guys who coordinated crews retired and some of the guys left are clueless and only got the jobs because they were connected. ClusterF

Makes sense why the prep and response has been pathetic. 

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

I can't believe how many people have said they didn't know what was coming and didn't expect much. I think TS Fay may have been a curse

Yea. Sometimes we think our weenie world equals the general public and that’s rarely the case. We thought the forecasts were great with enough lead time but apparently the public either didin’t get the memo or shrugged it off to media hype. 

It’s why I always prefer to be cautious and be ready then do a TBlizz but wake up to disaster and say, “I didn’t think it would be this bad”. 

I pulled my kids out of daycare at 12 and the teachers thought I was drunk. Even my wife did. But then daycare sent out an alert that they were closing at 3...during the height of storm. I lost power at 315. Parents were pissed because they drove in dangerous conditions as the winds whipped and trees came down. 

Puzzled why people late until the last minute and react, instead of being proactive. 

I guess when we weenies know the power of mother nature, we don’t mess around.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea. Sometimes we think our weenie world equals the general public and that’s rarely the case. We thought the forecasts were great with enough lead time but apparently the public either didin’t get the memo or shrugged it off to media hype. 

It’s why I always prefer to be cautious and be ready then do a TBlizz but wake up to disaster and say, “I didn’t think it would be this bad”. 

I pulled my kids out of daycare at 12 and the teachers thought I was drunk. Even my wife did. But then daycare sent out an alert that they were closing at 3...during the height of storm. I lost power at 315. Parents were pissed because they drove in dangerous conditions as the winds whipped and trees came down. 

Puzzled why people late until the last minute and react, instead of being proactive. 

I guess when we weenies know the power of mother nature, we don’t mess around.

Did you get power back yet? We have power, but no internet here...we still have 40 road closures in town, wires are laying everywhere. 

If you own a home in CT you should have a generator. It's astounding that people will spend 100's of thousands of dollars on a house but not a few hundred on a generator. 

How many times has this happened in CT? Eversource doesn't give a **** about you not having power. They own the entire electrical grid and are guaranteed a nice profit by PURA (Public Utility Regulatory Authority). All the cleanup cost is going to be passed on to rate payers and approved by PURA. This was announced the other day.

19 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Not yet. Hoping by Monday.

Yuck, hopefully they are overestimating and today is your day... Talked to the current owners of our soon to be new house. They said they lost power for 6 hours. The neighborhood has buried lines so there was an issue on the main road.

9 minutes ago, BrianW said:

If you own a home in CT you should have a generator. It's astounding that people will spend 100's of thousands of dollars on a house but not a few hundred on a generator. 

How many times has this happened in CT? Eversource doesn't give a **** about you not having power. They own the entire electrical grid and are guaranteed a nice profit by PURA (Public Utility Regulatory Authority). All the cleanup cost is going to be passed on to rate payers and approved by PURA. This was announced the other day.

I went solar 4 years ago and all they get from me is a $9.62 montly connection charge. 

Screenshot_20200730-095154_Drive.jpg

I have a south facing house and will be looking into it as soon as we move in...How does your production do in the winter? Big decision will be getting a powerwall or not...

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

CEO of  Eversource makes slightly more than 19 mil/year. Clearly the CEO and his colleagues  have  not taken the time to plan for a storm even on the scale of Isaias.  I thought PURA mandated that Eversource suspended rate hike rates for customers??

And this should be a wake up call for those who wish for a repeat of the hurricane in 1938. Power would be out for months not days if a repeat of 38 occurred. 

1 hour ago, Spanks45 said:

I have a south facing house and will be looking into it as soon as we move in...How does your production do in the winter? Big decision will be getting a powerwall or not...

I'm wide open and get full sun. The last few months I had record production. I am looking into a battery/power wall as during power outages the panels shutdown to prevent backfeeding to the grid. I have a generator for when that happens though.

Winter can be rough but I produce enough in the summer and get credited to carry me through the winter. 

CT and Mass have some of the best solar incentives in the nation. With such high electricity prices the payback period is 5-6 years. Both states will literally give you a check for thousands of dollars for installing them. 

16 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

CEO of  Eversource makes slightly more than 19 mil/year. Clearly the CEO and his colleagues  have  not taken the time to plan for a storm even on the scale of Isaias.  I thought PURA mandated that Eversource suspended rate hike rates for customers??

And this should be a wake up call for those who wish for a repeat of the hurricane in 1938. Power would be out for months not days if a repeat of 38 occurred. 

We had a hurricane simulation drill when I was employed by the Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation. They brought in experts from the Met community and insurance risk people. A 38 hurricane would be a 3 month outage with massive disruption to the economic flow of goods and services.  Many of the recommendations like mandatory generators at gas stations and extensive utility infrastructure upgrades were never put in place.