Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Isaias

wxeyeNH

1 hour ago, radarman said:

Anyone know if 38 was rainy east of the center?  Being more purely tropical I'd suspect it might have been.  Most of these transitioning tropical storms have rainfall shift west as baroclinic processes take precedence, usually with an incoming trough.

Only an inch at CAR but sites WVL south had around 3", not all that much compared to points west and some PRE may be included.

I'm 63 so was born in 1956.   The first hurricane I can vaguely remember was Esther in 1961.   We lived with my Grandparents in West Newton.  I can remember the power going out and my grandfather lighting lanterns.  He also wanted to go outside during the height of the storm to bring some patio furniture in and my grandmother was yelling at him not to.  I remember the winds  blowing wildly through the trees.

My grandparents lived in Newton during the hurricane of 38.  They are both deceased but my grandmother told me about it.  The hurricane conditions came on very rapidly.  She was picking my Mom up someplace in Newton and said trees were coming down left and right as she drove.  Don't know how true that was.

I moved to Baltimore in the 70's to live with my Dad.  Next storm I remember was Agnes.  Tropical Storm Agnes was not foretasted to be a big deal in Maryland as I recall.  The rain began in earnest in the evening around Baltimore.  I was 16 years old by then and had a rain gauge.  I recorded around 12" in 12 hours.  Just massive flooding everywhere.  The Jones Falls Expressway (I-83)  runs from the Baltimore Beltway into downtown.  It runs along the Jones Falls River.  The river very quickly overcame it's banks and I believe 8 people were swept away in flash floods that night stranded in their cars along that expressway.  16 people died from flash floods in the Washington DC area and 122 died in the northeast mostly from flooding.  That storm got some synoptic enhancement and intensified over land as it moved north.

The next storm I remember was Hurricane Gloria.  That was a Cat 5 as it headed for the northeast and the media hype was tremendous.  By that time I had moved back to Boston.  The evening before I believe Metro Boston had a Hurricane Warning.  I have lots of old VHS tapes of the forecasts.  People were panicking.  Driving down Commonwealth Ave I remember most every building had taped their windows.  The following day most business and schools were closed in metro Boston.  Gloria weakened quite a bit and I was  underwhelmed.  Don't know what I expected but the rainfall was not that heavy and we had some big wind gusts but nothing that lived up to the hype.  Living in the city of Boston there were not that many trees around my apartment building so perhaps if I lived in the suburbs I would have been more impressed.

The next storm was Hurricane Bob.  I lived in Newton.  Most business opened that morning but closed around noon.  I remember how heavy the traffic was on Rt 128 at lunchtime.  Bob was the most impressive  TC in my lifetime.  A period of heavy rain and strong winds in Newton.  The worst winds was as Bob was leaving and we had strong northwest winds.  The Cape didn't get that much rain but the high winds.  I remember how many of the trees on the cape turned brown as there was so much salt water mixed in the air that it killed the foliage.

Isaias up here in NH was briefly impressive.  Only a 42mph gust but enough to knock out power for 24 hours.  As the feeder band came through I made this 45 second Utube video.  My cat Tessie was not very impressed.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Hope not, was thinking today about all the people unemployed and struggling with life and how this power situation adds to their misery. I hope we have a bunch of recurves south of us. Good surf and COC weather.  Soon the westerlies and cold fronts will start to show up 

Yup. Nobody wants this...especially this year. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

What is the cost for a pole?

Small improvements...that eventually become outdated. It’s the American way.

It’s like when we patch up potholes...Instead of going big and being innovative, we play whack-a-mole. 

There is a stretch on 84 in Danbury/Newtown where they repaved the highway last year but something happenned because they had to dig up certain patches for some underground work. Maybe drainage or sewer work. Anyway, they patched up those areas with cement. And now they are repaving that highway stretch again lol. 

8 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

It’s like when we patch up potholes...Instead of going big and being innovative, we play whack-a-mole. 

There is a stretch on 84 in Danbury/Newtown where they repaved the highway last year but something happenned because they had to dig up certain patches for some underground work. Maybe drainage or sewer work. Anyway, they patched up those areas with cement. And now they are repaving that highway stretch again lol. 

Kind of like repainting the centerline the week before the resurfacing crew arrives.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Just put in 10 inches of Asphalt like they do in other places. I think they call it make work in CT Do a shitty job so you get to do it again. 

1 hour ago, Modfan2 said:

Below are examples of some of the improvements Florida Power and Light has done down here in S FL; changing out many wooden poles for cement to help harden the grid.

5D64ADBE-4ECE-40CF-B492-70D1DFAB1450.jpeg

6EDB094A-B894-4C4A-AFD5-F80E68A01EA2.jpeg

Surprised it took that long in Florida... I’d think you’d want most lines below ground too in residential areas of Florida.

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

WindowsLiveWriter-TheDumbandDumberGuidet

Blow like a whale until it thaws loose.  My junior year in HS I managed to freeze both lips to the receiver of my Ithaca pump shotgun.  I'd been waiting for deer that didn't come and probably taking the gun from the warm house to the breezy teens resulted in the action freezing after I had gone into the woods and loaded the three buckshot shells.  Things wouldn't move to let me unload the gun when legal hunting time expired so I leaned down to breathe into the ejection slot and got a bit too close.  The panic urge was quelled, barely, and after five minutes or so of huffing and puffing I was freed with lips intact though very slightly frostbit, and  by then the action was thawed, I took out the shells and walked home.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Blow like a whale until it thaws loose.  My junior year in HS I managed to freeze both lips to the receiver of my Ithaca pump shotgun.  I'd been waiting for deer that didn't come and probably taking the gun from the warm house to the breezy teens resulted in the action freezing after I had gone into the woods and loaded the three buckshot shells.  Things wouldn't move to let me unload the gun when legal hunting time expired so I leaned down to breathe into the ejection slot and got a bit too close.  The panic urge was quelled, barely, and after five minutes or so of huffing and puffing I was freed with lips intact though very slightly frostbit, and  by then the action was thawed, I took out the shells and walked home.

lol

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

EF-1 tornado confirmed in Westport Tuesday. 3rd tornado of the year in CT...all 3 within a 2-day span 

50yd path length, That's about the shortest I've ever seen.   At the speed it was moving,  it died within 5 seconds of coming ashore.

That house got really unlucky.

.Preliminary survey results for Westport CT...

Location...Westport in Fairfield County, CT
Date...Aug 4 2020
Estimated Time...140-141 pm
Maximum EF-Scale Rating...EF1
Estimated Maximum Wind Speed...95-105 mph
Maximum Path Width...25 yards
Path Length....50 yards
Lat/Lon...41.097458/-73.377742
* Fatalities...None
* Injuries...None

...Summary...
A discrete, low topped storm cell, moving north northwest from
Long Island Sound and over Saugatuck Shores in Westport CT,
produced a waterspout, that made landfall as an EF1 tornado
around 140pm on August 4 2020.

The waterspout was captured on video by a private meteorologist
as it was moving towards Saugatuck Shores in Westport CT around
140pm. The tornado produced severe damage to a house on Surf Rd,
with the roof being ripped off, as well as portions of the second
floor`s supporting wall structure. This debris was tossed about
30-50 feet north on the property. In addition, the tops of several
pine trees in the front and side yard were either sheared or
snapped off. The tornado likely quickly lifted and possibly
tracked north as a funnel cloud for another 1 to 2 miles, before
dissipating. The funnel cloud could have touched down as a
waterspout on the Saugatuck River, south of Route 1, based on an
eyewitness report from S Compo Rd in Westport, CT. Otherwise,
downstream damage reports are inconclusive for tornado damage, but
consistent with the damaging 40 to 50 mph straight line sustained
winds and 60 to 70 mph gusts observed between 2pm and 5pm across
southwestern CT from Tropical Storm Isaias.

Many thanks to Westport Fire Department, Connecticut Division of
Emergency Management and Homeland Security, local CT Media,
private sector meteorologists, and the public for their assistance
in this storm survey.

EF Scale: The Enhanced Fujita Scale classifies tornadoes into the
following categories:

EF0...Weak......65 to 85 mph
EF1...Weak......86 to 110 mph
EF2...Strong....111 to 135 mph
EF3...Strong....136 to 165 mph
EF4...Violent...166 to 200 mph
EF5...Violent...>200 mph