Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Isaias

wxeyeNH

17 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Wesport definitely has the most damage I have seen so far in my travels. Its a disaster there. Eversource is reporting 97% of the town has no power with 12,257 outages. 

It looks like weeks worth of work to cleanup all the trees and down wires. 

Does anyone know who is responsible when  huge tree on a homeowners property falls across the road? Seems they are everywhere and nothing is being done. 

Was it ever determined if there was a tornado there? They by far have the worst damage and there was a tornado warning for Westport at one point.

19 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Luke lives in Southington right? Yikes. Perfect example of trimming N side and not S . If they only had leadership that understood the nature of tropical storms in Ct

Virtually all of the trimming I see eversource doing around here seems to be on whatever side the powerlines are on

19 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

Virtually all of the trimming I see eversource doing around here seems to be on whatever side the powerlines are on

Almost all the big damage I have been seeing is from large trees well away from powerlines that came down across them. Trimming does nothing to prevent that. 

3 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Almost all the big damage I have been seeing is from large trees well away from powerlines that came down across them. Trimming does nothing to prevent that. 

Probably thinking of ice/snow more than wind with the one-sided trim.  Of course, trees can fall across the road and onto the lines from those events.  That's how we lost power in the April snowstorm - 2 trees (pine and maple) tipped onto the lines a few hours after the snow had stopped.  (And by which time we thought we'd dodged the bullet.)

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

Wesport definitely has the most damage I have seen so far in my travels. Its a disaster there. Eversource is reporting 97% of the town has no power with 12,257 outages. 

It looks like weeks worth of work to cleanup all the trees and down wires. 

Does anyone know who is responsible when  huge tree on a homeowners property falls across the road? Seems they are everywhere and nothing is being done. 

Act of god, no ones to blame

24 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Just got an update from a State Rep friend. Sounds like ES has a fire lit up under them now lol.

Crews arriving and coming from Canada, PA, MA, over 1,800 trees to be removed in their early assessment, and working round the clock now...

hmm shades of 2011 where it took days post-storm for CL&P to seek out-of-state help

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Just got an update from a State Rep friend. Sounds like ES has a fire lit up under them now lol.

Crews arriving and coming from Canada, PA, MA, over 1,800 trees to be removed in their early assessment, and working round the clock now...

Canada? I thought the border was closed? Those extra crews should have been traveling Sunday 

• Like 1

Just now, weatherwiz said:

hmm shades of 2011 where it took days post-storm for CL&P to seek out-of-state help

They said they had out of state help coming during yesterday's press conference, and that they expected to double the number of crews "in 24 hours or shortly after."

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Canada? I thought the border was closed? Those extra crews should have been traveling Sunday 

They have been letting "essential workers" through the border for a while, people who live near there say there's an awful lot of traffic crossing the border for a "closed border."

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

hmm, well away huh, like 10 feet

Driving through CT roads around Woodstock, even state highways, are like tunnels through trees.  It's no wonder you guys have big issues... the trees are tall/mature and they pretty much overhang roadways with decent density for very long stretches.

10 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

They said they had out of state help coming during yesterday's press conference, and that they expected to double the number of crews "in 24 hours or shortly after."

Crews from Ontario were in Mass yesterday arrived today. After 10 days of no power in Hurricane Bob with 3 little ones and no generator I gave a case of Canadian Molson to a Quebec crew as thanks when they flipped the tripped breaker in front of my house I pointed out to them. I literally stood in the street and stopped the truck and bribed them.. All these guys are heroes their bosses in their Eversource Offices are zeros. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Driving through CT roads around Woodstock, even state highways, are like tunnels through trees.  It's no wonder you guys have big issues... the trees are tall/mature and they pretty much overhang roadways with decent density for very long stretches.

We tried to tell them. We need to trade ambience for reality.  Forests are in great shape according to Ct forestry report just issued. Trim the hell out of the trees,  take um down.

30 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Part of the issue could have been where to send and what the needs would be in surrounding states.  There was a fair amount of uncertainty about how this would all play out and where the biggest needs would be.

8 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

We tried to tell them. We need to trade ambience for reality.  Forests are in great shape according to Ct forestry report just issued. Trim the hell out of the trees,  take um down.

My parents were telling me last summer the power crews did a whole bunch of work near them on like RT 197 I think... basically clear cut like 20-30 yards on each side of the road.  Just straight wide open now.  Sounded like the sun finally reached the road for the first time in decades.... but also sounded like that one stretch took them like weeks to do. 

19 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

After this you may have an appetite for that

9 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

ES dropped the ball. These utility companies have fantastic frontline workers that drop everything on a dime to keep society running after these natural disasters and it’s a shame the higher ups do the kind of things that give those companies a terrible reputation. 

The All-mighty dollar bro. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The trees are good. Makes it part of the reason we like New England. Everyone get a generator.

Can't justify it right now.  I think I've lost power for maybe 3-4 days total in the 16 years I've lived where I am.

I'd be looking at $5k to have one installed. 

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

Yeah it definitely is more effective for snow/ice, with the amount of trees in NE wind is always gonna be a big issue 

21 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The trees are good. Makes it part of the reason we like New England. Everyone get a generator.

The pictures ive seen in my area from the early 1900s look like the midwest. Pretty wild to think alot the stone walls we have scattered about were once hedgerows for fields 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

The pictures ive seen in my area from the early 1900s look like the midwest. Pretty wild to think alot the stone walls we have scattered about were once hedgerows for fields 

I know it. Same here. I heard the hurricane of 38 took out a lot of the white pines which moved in after the farming disappeared in the late 1800s. Once the white pines were gone, the hardwoods were able to take off now that they had more light. Pretty interesting.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Can't justify it right now.  I think I've lost power for maybe 3-4 days total in the 16 years I've lived where I am.

I'd be looking at $5k to have one installed. 

Yeah obviously depends where you are. I wouldn't do it here, but a lot of the south shore is extremely forested so it's money more well spent there.

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

famous last words.. I used to think like that.

I haven't lost power from a storm yet despite these crazy events. Now maybe I am lucky as nearby streets have, but Weymouth is not heavily forested at all. My folks however, lose power when a squirrel farts. 

3 hours ago, snowman21 said:

Interesting. I wondered why there always seemed to be crews from Iowa in Connecticut whenever something like this happens. I guess that's not a coincidence if the pay is really good.

I am no expert but they also have to navigate layers of contract law with unions, which bogs down the process too