Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Isaias

wxeyeNH

20 minutes ago, Amped said:

Always wonder what kind of damage Hazel did in NY, NJ and CT.  There was a 100mph + gust at battery park.  I can't find any descriptions of the damage without digging up archived local newspapers from the time.

I vividly remember tops of railroad utility poles blowing down my street.  This is about a mile from the tracks in Teaneck,NJ.  As an almost 8 year old, it was awesome!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Dews said:

Bobs worst was around 5x worse than Isaias. I'd never trade that experience for this clunker

Agree. As I mentioned yesterday Bob was a cat 5 compared to Isaias in the Merrimack Valley area. Hell Isaiah Thomas  caused more damage in the MV area than Isaias...kidding . 

Still no power.

Isaias could have been quite a bit worse.  If that wind shear had not been so strong off of Florida and the track 75 miles east we could have had a major hurricane coming ashore along Long Island.  With the trough to the west Isaias could have been coming up the coast in a similar fashion to '38.   Damage in New England would have been so much worse than it was.  Lucky for wind shear and maybe SAL this wasn't too bad.

I was able to take a ride around my area of Central NH.  Really not a lot of tree damage.  That makes sense because I never gusted higher than 42mph and I'm up high with a open south exposure.  I'm actually surprised there is as much power out as being reported.  Our high gusts also did not last very long.  Really as that main feeder band came through.  I thought the backside west winds would have been stronger as what happens as a Noreaster passes but this was different because it was a filling storm not a strengthening storm as a Noreaster is.

Still need rain but I'm lucky to have received my .40",  I know much of the board received less.

4 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Ahh. I figured. I don’t remember reading about eversource back then. Seems like eversource swallowed up all their subsidiaries. 

Yeah N Grid had lots of customers out in the area, but apparently Unitil fared pretty well.  They've been cutting like every tree down in FIT, which I'm sure helped. But of course then people bitch that they're cutting trees down.  Can't win with the public lol. 

Parents in Westport are without power and had a tree hit the porch.  Looks pretty bad there, 94% without power, and trees blocking most roads . Local representative saying it's the hardest hit in the state.   Also, there is possible tornado damage in the spot where the warned cell came ashore.

https://www.ctpost.com/local/article/More-than-94-of-Westport-without-power-15459239.php

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Kevin already sounds cranky from no power. You wanted it Breh.

My parents said they were told “it’ll be days” in Woodstock (ie your dirt road in the woods with 10 houses is the least of our concern, there’s a guy in Tolland who needs his A/C back)... my father drove over and took everything out of the freezer and fridge and brought it back to Albany where they only got rain.  They are lucky to be retired and have that option to pick a home to stay in, lol.  

• Like 1

Just now, Sn0waddict said:

Lamont calling on PURA to investigate the response by the states utilities already. Seems incredibly premature to call out the utilities one day in when we were just hit by the largest storm since Irene. This should end well..

Well I guess the question to that is...did they prepare for this? The big killer in Oct of 2011 was they virtually disregarded the forecasts given to them. So far there are just under 700K w/o power. NJ for comparison, which had over 1.4 million without power is down to 744,000 outages. They've restored more customers since this storm ended than CT has power outages. 

5 minutes ago, Sn0waddict said:

Lamont calling on PURA to investigate the response by the states utilities already. Seems incredibly premature to call out the utilities one day in when we were just hit by the largest storm since Irene. This should end well..

Yeah what's the deal with this? Cuomo sent out a tweet along the same lines. What am I missing? 

Eversource should be called out...they are nothing but money seeking frauds. They're already being investigated for the debacle about the significant increase in people's bills last month. There are people who opened their bills only to find it HUNDREDS of dollars higher than previous months...HUNDREDS. A friend of mine knows someone who's bill is usually around $200/month (they have a heated pool and hot tub)...their bill last month was $600. POS money scamming dirtbags 

10 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Well I guess the question to that is...did they prepare for this? The big killer in Oct of 2011 was they virtually disregarded the forecasts given to them. So far there are just under 700K w/o power. NJ for comparison, which had over 1.4 million without power is down to 744,000 outages. They've restored more customers since this storm ended than CT has power outages. 

ES reporting system going down again is a big issue which needs to be addressed. Besides that power is just getting restored now because cleanups took a day to complete. Significant progress can and hopefully will be made the next few days, but anyone expecting a one to two days turnaround on a storm that knocks power out to half a million people is out of there mind. 

People want better infrastructure and utilities are incentivized to do so, but that comes at a cost to ratepayers which no one wants to pay. So therefore the utilities are limited with what they can do, and this is what you get.  You then hear “bury the lines!” But no one understands how ridiculously expensive and time consuming that would be .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, radarman said:

hopefully he was able to procure ice for those IPAs

I’m not cranky lol. I just spent 8 hours of lawn cleanup lol. Now sitting in car at a DD drinking IPA’s on laptop trying to do work . I’m happy with how this all turned out.  The ice is an issue. None to be found . I bought some early yesterday morning but more is needed stat